Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Rutabagas [Was: Protein for vegetable "soup". [Was: Mini meatballs and dipping sauce]]

"ant" > wrote in message
> Phred wrote:

>> I always like some swedes, ordinary turnips, and parsnips in stews.

> Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the world.

Having read about your food interests (you aren't a wimp or a Shane Warne),
I suspect that you may never have had the chance to eat a really fresh
parsnip.

Really fresh parsnips are best steamed and mashed with good butter and they
are superb, (nutty and sweet) but getting really fresh ones is almost
impossible. I've only ever managed it twice in my life (I;m over 50), but
the memory of them is enough to have me sitting here drooling.

Worse even
> than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a dollar each.
> Chokos > are for throwing at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar for
> one?

Fresh young chokoes steamed and served with butter are also delightful
(delicate but destinct flavour), but given where you live, it's probably
also the older, less fresh ones you can buy round where you live.