Posted to aus.food,rec.food.cooking

Default Protein for vegetable "soup". [Was: Mini meatballs and dipping sauce]

In article >, sm > wrote:
>ant wrote:
>> sm wrote:
>>> I was looking at the Coles Christmas magazine today.
>>> They have a recipe for meatballs and yoghurt sauce.
>>>
>>> The yoghurt sauce is simply:
>>> 200g greek style yoghurt
>>> 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped mint
>>> 1 garlic clove, crushed
>>>
>>> Just combine in a bowl.
>>>
>>> That sounds good too.

>> And I'll go offtopic with my current favourite pasta recipe. I was dreaming
>> of the american spagetti and meatballs one night (in a tomato sauce).
>> Trolled around coles and the Chevapi sausages were marked down.
>>
>> So I cooked those, drained them and cut them into small meat-ball sized
>> bits, and cooked them in tinned crushed tomatoes, garlic, a bit of mint,
>> pinch of chilli powder. Served with long non-egg pasta, and as serving,
>> mixed in some thick yogurt (so it didn't curdle), and a good squeeze of
>> lemon.
>>
>> It's bloody nice, and slightly turkish-tasting.

>Quoted in full for Phred. Because I'm nice like that.

Thank you for re-posting that, sm. I like nice people. :-)
(Thank you to ant too; your reply re scissored snags also noted. :-)

Actually, I'm wondering if those scissored snags would have helped me
out this evening... Yesterday, I made a (rather big) batch of
"vegetable soup" -- really just a *lot* of cauliflower, plus carrots,
onion, garlic, and a bit of celery, cooked minimally in chicken stock
with a bit of curry powder added. It was pretty lumpy for soup and
was lacking "something" -- i.e. something in the line of protein.

So, tonight, I was wondering how best to improve the leftovers and
considered either shredded poached chook or some sort of grated
tasty cheese stirred through the reheated brew. In view of local
circumstances at the time (no chook) I went with the cheese, and I
can't say it was much improvement over the plain veg brew. :-(

Maybe those chopped up snags would have been acceptable? But I'm also
open to other suggestions as I still have one bowl of the brew in the
fridge. (Did I say I made rather a lot of the stuff?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 7:53 am, (Phred) wrote:
> Yesterday, I made a (rather big) batch of
> "vegetable soup" -- really just a *lot* of cauliflower, plus carrots,
> onion, garlic, and a bit of celery, cooked minimally in chicken stock
> with a bit of curry powder added. It was pretty lumpy for soup and
> was lacking "something" -- i.e. something in the line of protein.

Whisk up an egg and pour it over the hot broth. It will cook pretty
much immediately. Won't add much in the way of flavor, but it is easy
protein.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
??>> Yesterday, I made a (rather big) batch of
??>> "vegetable soup" -- really just a *lot* of cauliflower,
??>> plus carrots, onion, garlic, and a bit of celery, cooked
??>> minimally in chicken stock with a bit of curry powder
??>> added. It was pretty lumpy for soup and was lacking
??>> "something" -- i.e. something in the line of protein.
??>>
D> Whisk up an egg and pour it over the hot broth. It will cook
D> pretty much immediately. Won't add much in the way of
D> flavor, but it is easy protein.

You can buy "textured vegetable protein" and add that. It
doesn't do much for me as far as flavor is concerned but you get
your protein!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 19, 5:13 pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Dawn wrote on Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:30:09 -0800 (PST):
>
> D> On Nov 19, 7:53 am, (Phred)
> wrote:
> ??>> Yesterday, I made a (rather big) batch of
> ??>> "vegetable soup" -- really just a *lot* of cauliflower,
> ??>> plus carrots, onion, garlic, and a bit of celery, cooked
> ??>> minimally in chicken stock with a bit of curry powder
> ??>> added. It was pretty lumpy for soup and was lacking
> ??>> "something" -- i.e. something in the line of protein.
> ??>>
> D> Whisk up an egg and pour it over the hot broth. It will cook
> D> pretty much immediately. Won't add much in the way of
> D> flavor, but it is easy protein.
>
> You can buy "textured vegetable protein" and add that. It
> doesn't do much for me as far as flavor is concerned but you get
> your protein!

Ew. You're right that it's high quality protein, but it's pretty
awful tasting.

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bobo_Bonobo(R)?=" > wrote:
>On Nov 19, 5:13 pm, "James Silverton" > wrote:
>> Dawn wrote on Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:30:09 -0800 (PST):
>> D> On Nov 19, 7:53 am, (Phred) wrote:
>> ??>> Yesterday, I made a (rather big) batch of
>> ??>> "vegetable soup" -- really just a *lot* of cauliflower,
>> ??>> plus carrots, onion, garlic, and a bit of celery, cooked
>> ??>> minimally in chicken stock with a bit of curry powder
>> ??>> added. It was pretty lumpy for soup and was lacking
>> ??>> "something" -- i.e. something in the line of protein.
>> ??>>
>> D> Whisk up an egg and pour it over the hot broth. It will cook
>> D> pretty much immediately. Won't add much in the way of
>> D> flavor, but it is easy protein.
>>
>> You can buy "textured vegetable protein" and add that. It
>> doesn't do much for me as far as flavor is concerned but you get
>> your protein!

>Ew. You're right that it's high quality protein, but it's pretty
>awful tasting.

Thanks for your various suggestions, mates; but I'm afraid I left
myself open to being taken a little too literally... I'm not looking
for "protein" in terms of nutrition here, but as something to add a
bit more body/flavour/whatever to the brew -- shall we say, to make it
more "interesting".

As I think I said originally, I tried stirring cheese through one
batch, but wasn't terribly impressed with the result. I would have
used shredded chook, if I had any bits in the house to poach. (That's
poach as in cooking; not as in knocking off the neighbour's hen.

The idea of most other chopped meats in the brew doesn't appeal in
prospect -- though something like bits of a savory snag might be OK.

Maybe the answer is just to add more and stronger seasonings.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Dawn wrote on Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:30:09 -0800 (PST):
>
> D> On Nov 19, 7:53 am, (Phred) wrote:
> ??>> Yesterday, I made a (rather big) batch of
> ??>> "vegetable soup" -- really just a *lot* of cauliflower,
> ??>> plus carrots, onion, garlic, and a bit of celery, cooked
> ??>> minimally in chicken stock with a bit of curry powder
> ??>> added. It was pretty lumpy for soup and was lacking
> ??>> "something" -- i.e. something in the line of protein.
> ??>>
> D> Whisk up an egg and pour it over the hot broth. It will cook
> D> pretty much immediately. Won't add much in the way of
> D> flavor, but it is easy protein.
>
> You can buy "textured vegetable protein" and add that. It doesn't do much
> for me as far as flavor is concerned but you get your protein!

*Shudder*

I'd sooner add a can of beans or a can of chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Phred" > wrote in message

> Thanks for your various suggestions, mates; but I'm afraid I left
> myself open to being taken a little too literally... I'm not looking
> for "protein" in terms of nutrition here, but as something to add a
> bit more body/flavour/whatever to the brew -- shall we say, to make it
> more "interesting".
>
> As I think I said originally, I tried stirring cheese through one
> batch, but wasn't terribly impressed with the result. I would have
> used shredded chook, if I had any bits in the house to poach. (That's
> poach as in cooking; not as in knocking off the neighbour's hen.
>
> The idea of most other chopped meats in the brew doesn't appeal in
> prospect -- though something like bits of a savory snag might be OK.
>
> Maybe the answer is just to add more and stronger seasonings.

You may have added too much cauliflower. My MIL did that once and nobody
could eat the soup. The flavor just overpowered everything. I can tolerate
a small amount of cauliflower in a soup, but not too much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Phred" > wrote in message
>
>> Thanks for your various suggestions, mates; but I'm afraid I left
>> myself open to being taken a little too literally... I'm not looking
>> for "protein" in terms of nutrition here, but as something to add a
>> bit more body/flavour/whatever to the brew -- shall we say, to make it
>> more "interesting".
>>
>> As I think I said originally, I tried stirring cheese through one
>> batch, but wasn't terribly impressed with the result. I would have
>> used shredded chook, if I had any bits in the house to poach. (That's
>> poach as in cooking; not as in knocking off the neighbour's hen.
>>
>> The idea of most other chopped meats in the brew doesn't appeal in
>> prospect -- though something like bits of a savory snag might be OK.
>>
>> Maybe the answer is just to add more and stronger seasonings.

> You may have added too much cauliflower. My MIL did that once and nobody
> could eat the soup. The flavor just overpowered everything. I can
> tolerate a small amount of cauliflower in a soup, but not too much.

That's true for me, too. If there are any left-overs - STINK!

For that reason I won't use any broccoli or turnip either.

Rutabagas, I will use, though, in moderation.

My 2 cents worth,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dawn > wrote:

> Whisk up an egg and pour it over the hot broth. It will cook pretty
> much immediately. Won't add much in the way of flavor, but it is easy
> protein.

What would pouring a bit of broth back into the whisked eggs do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article <Jkr0j.5228$701.2816@trndny08>, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>"Phred" > wrote in message
>
>> Thanks for your various suggestions, mates; but I'm afraid I left
>> myself open to being taken a little too literally... I'm not looking
>> for "protein" in terms of nutrition here, but as something to add a
>> bit more body/flavour/whatever to the brew -- shall we say, to make it
>> more "interesting".
>>
>> As I think I said originally, I tried stirring cheese through one
>> batch, but wasn't terribly impressed with the result. I would have
>> used shredded chook, if I had any bits in the house to poach. (That's
>> poach as in cooking; not as in knocking off the neighbour's hen.
>>
>> The idea of most other chopped meats in the brew doesn't appeal in
>> prospect -- though something like bits of a savory snag might be OK.
>>
>> Maybe the answer is just to add more and stronger seasonings.

>You may have added too much cauliflower. My MIL did that once and nobody
>could eat the soup. The flavor just overpowered everything. I can tolerate
>a small amount of cauliflower in a soup, but not too much.

Hmm... That could be the problem, though I actually like cauliflower,
and especially those "cheesy cauliflower" brews. (YMMV ;-)
However, there's no doubt my present "soup" contains a *lot* of
cauliflower -- probably 70 to 80% of the total solids, and damn nearly
the same of the total "soup" which has rather little liquid.

I bought some chook today, so I'm going to try the "shredded poached
chook" approach tonight, using a bloody spicey poaching liquid.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
[snip]

>Rutabagas, I will use, though, in moderation.

Now, now Dee Dee, no need to be rude...

(I'd never heard of those things until I came back to RFC after an
absence of a decade or so and, in explanation of the above comment,
I've still no idea of the correct pronunciation... I'm left with my
own phonetic construction: rut_a_bag_as(s) ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Phred wrote:

> I bought some chook today, so I'm going to try the "shredded poached
> chook" approach tonight, using a bloody spicey poaching liquid.

Serve it asian style, with some noodles added to each bowl?

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Phred" > wrote

> In article >, "Dee.Dee"
> > wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>>Rutabagas, I will use, though, in moderation.
>>

> Now, now Dee Dee, no need to be rude...
>
> (I'd never heard of those things until I came back to RFC after an
> absence of a decade or so and, in explanation of the above comment,
> I've still no idea of the correct pronunciation... I'm left with my
> own phonetic construction: rut_a_bag_as(s) ;-)

Stay away from Roota Baygaz! Yuck!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>"Phred" > wrote
>
>> In article >, "Dee.Dee"
>> > wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>>Rutabagas, I will use, though, in moderation.
>>>

>> Now, now Dee Dee, no need to be rude...
>>
>> (I'd never heard of those things until I came back to RFC after an
>> absence of a decade or so and, in explanation of the above comment,
>> I've still no idea of the correct pronunciation... I'm left with my
>> own phonetic construction: rut_a_bag_as(s) ;-)

>Stay away from Roota Baygaz! Yuck!

G'day Nancy,

Thank you for the advice. (On both aspects of the issue. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Phred" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Dee.Dee"
> > wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>>Rutabagas, I will use, though, in moderation.
>>

> Now, now Dee Dee, no need to be rude...
>
> (I'd never heard of those things until I came back to RFC after an
> absence of a decade or so and, in explanation of the above comment,
> I've still no idea of the correct pronunciation... I'm left with my
> own phonetic construction: rut_a_bag_as(s) ;-)
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Click on the volume control for the pronounciation.
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/featur...fid=1861706625

It's a root. It's root-a-baig-a

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=rutabaga&gbv=2

I try to find them unwaxed and organic; almost an impossibility unless you
go to a upscale grocery market.
When they are fresh, they are very mild.

When they are waxed and sit around, there is a difference in taste, just
like the difference between a young and older carrot.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:

>"Phred" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "Dee.Dee"
>> > wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>>Rutabagas, I will use, though, in moderation.

>> Now, now Dee Dee, no need to be rude...
>>
>> (I'd never heard of those things until I came back to RFC after an
>> absence of a decade or so and, in explanation of the above comment,
>> I've still no idea of the correct pronunciation... I'm left with my
>> own phonetic construction: rut_a_bag_as(s) ;-)

>Click on the volume control for the pronounciation.
>http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/featur...ts.aspx?refid=
>1861706625

When I finally get a new PC with sound I might try that, thank you.
(I've been living for >5 years with this one without sound -- but then
I've never owned a TV either.

>It's a root. It's root-a-baig-a

Good god! It's almost ruder than my version using the animal
euphemism -- you're only saved by a politer ending! ;-)

>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=rutabaga&gbv=2

This one looks remarkedly like what we buy here as a "turnip":

<http://tinyurl.com/y5c3uy> or in full:

<http://www.umassvegetable.
org/images/soils_crops_pest_mgt/crop/rutabaga2.jpg>

If the bottom was whiter, it would be a turnip. However the yellowish
tinge looks more like the colour of our swede turnips -- but the
swedes I see here in the deep north of the deep south don't usually
have much purple on the top section. However, I have to admit a
google on "swede turnip" turned up things like this:

<http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/IMAGES/swede_brora_2.jpg>

which is damn close to the image I referenced above. So I suspect
your rootabugger is our swede turnip.

>I try to find them unwaxed and organic; almost an impossibility unless you
>go to a upscale grocery market.
>When they are fresh, they are very mild.
>
>When they are waxed and sit around, there is a difference in taste, just
>like the difference between a young and older carrot.

I always like some swedes, ordinary turnips, and parsnips in stews.
(Along with all the usual stuff of course.) Unfortunately, the ones
available here most of the year look like they've been somewhere else
most of a year.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Phred wrote:

> which is damn close to the image I referenced above. So I suspect
> your rootabugger is our swede turnip.

guffaw! Got a big chuckle.

> I always like some swedes, ordinary turnips, and parsnips in stews.

Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the world. Worse even
than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a dollar each. Chokos
are for throwing at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar for one?

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:
I'm borrowing that of the latest
scammer/spammer

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, "ant" > wrote:
>Phred wrote:
>
>> which is damn close to the image I referenced above. So I suspect
>> your rootabugger is our swede turnip.

>guffaw! Got a big chuckle.
>
>> I always like some swedes, ordinary turnips, and parsnips in stews.

>Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the world. Worse even

A lot of people seem to swear by roasted parsnips, and I finally tried
some. Have to agree they're pretty good that way.

>than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a dollar each. Chokos
>are for throwing at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar for one?

You have a lot of stray cat problems and no ammo, perhaps? ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Phred wrote:
> In article >, "ant"
>> than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a dollar each.
>> Chokos are for throwing at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar
>> for one?

> You have a lot of stray cat problems and no ammo, perhaps? ;-)

They flog them in Yankland, too. Chokos, not cats. They call they Chayotes
there. I never saw anyone buying them.

--
ant
Don't try to reply to my email addy:
I'm borrowing that of the latest
scammer/spammer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ant wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 23:04:53 +1100:

a> Phred wrote:
??>> In article >, "ant"
??>>> than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a
??>>> dollar each. Chokos are for throwing at cats. why on
??>>> earth would you pay a dollar for one?
??>>
??>> You have a lot of stray cat problems and no ammo, perhaps?
??>> ;-)

a> They flog them in Yankland, too. Chokos, not cats. They call
a> they Chayotes there. I never saw anyone buying them.

I guess it might a little while for Oz to catch up but people
certainly buy them here. Come to think of it, even if you don't
like them, the fact that they've got a familiar name might
indicate that a lot of Ozzies disagree with you! They are one
of the easiest vegetables to prepare since they aren't bad raw
or steamed as salad ingredients and are great roasted, can be a
component of gazpacho and are suitable for sauces from very
simple like just butter or more strongly flavored white sauces.
Incidentally, they call them mirlitons in Louisiana.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Phred wrote:
> In article >, "ant" > wrote:
>> Phred wrote:
>>
>>> which is damn close to the image I referenced above. So I suspect
>>> your rootabugger is our swede turnip.

>> guffaw! Got a big chuckle.
>>
>>> I always like some swedes, ordinary turnips, and parsnips in stews.

>> Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the world. Worse even

> A lot of people seem to swear by roasted parsnips, and I finally tried
> some. Have to agree they're pretty good that way.

I like them mashed with potatoes, and in chicken soup, too!

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

ant wrote:
> Phred wrote:
>> In article >, "ant"
>>> than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a dollar each.
>>> Chokos are for throwing at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar
>>> for one?

>> You have a lot of stray cat problems and no ammo, perhaps? ;-)

> They flog them in Yankland, too. Chokos, not cats. They call they Chayotes
> there. I never saw anyone buying them.

I've tried them. I didn't think they were anything wonderful.

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Sarah wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:28:51 GMT:

SG> ant wrote:
??>> Phred wrote:
??>>> In article >, "ant"
??>>>> than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a
??>>>> dollar each. Chokos are for throwing at cats. why on
??>>>> earth would you pay a dollar for one?
??>>> You have a lot of stray cat problems and no ammo,
??>>> perhaps? ;-)
??>>
??>> They flog them in Yankland, too. Chokos, not cats. They
??>> call they Chayotes there. I never saw anyone buying them.
??>>
SG> I've tried them. I didn't think they were anything
SG> wonderful.

I'm puzzled! Aren't you the Sarah who just said "I like them
mashed with potatoes, and in chicken soup, too!"?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

James Silverton wrote:
> Sarah wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:28:51 GMT:
>
> SG> ant wrote:
> ??>> Phred wrote:
> ??>>> In article >, "ant"
> ??>>>> than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a
> ??>>>> dollar each. Chokos are for throwing at cats. why on
> ??>>>> earth would you pay a dollar for one?
> ??>>> You have a lot of stray cat problems and no ammo,
> ??>>> perhaps? ;-)
> ??>>
> ??>> They flog them in Yankland, too. Chokos, not cats. They
> ??>> call they Chayotes there. I never saw anyone buying them.
> ??>>
> SG> I've tried them. I didn't think they were anything
> SG> wonderful.
>
> I'm puzzled! Aren't you the Sarah who just said "I like them mashed with
> potatoes, and in chicken soup, too!"?

I like parsnips, not chayotes.

hope that clears things up.

--

Sarah Gray
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <feW0j.1703$281.1489@trndny06>, "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not> wrote:
> ant wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 23:04:53 +1100:
> a> Phred wrote:
> ??>> In article >, "ant"
> ??>>> than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a
> ??>>> dollar each. Chokos are for throwing at cats. why on
> ??>>> earth would you pay a dollar for one?
> ??>>
> ??>> You have a lot of stray cat problems and no ammo, perhaps?
> ??>> ;-)
>
> a> They flog them in Yankland, too. Chokos, not cats. They call
> a> they Chayotes there. I never saw anyone buying them.
>
>I guess it might a little while for Oz to catch up but people
>certainly buy them here. Come to think of it, even if you don't
>like them, the fact that they've got a familiar name might
>indicate that a lot of Ozzies disagree with you! They are one
>of the easiest vegetables to prepare since they aren't bad raw
>or steamed as salad ingredients and are great roasted, can be a
>component of gazpacho and are suitable for sauces from very
>simple like just butter or more strongly flavored white sauces.
>Incidentally, they call them mirlitons in Louisiana.

I have to agree they're not too bad if picked very young and just
lightly steamed. And, as you imply, they are so neutral in flavour
they can be used in or as almost anything -- legend has it here that
most canned pears are actually chokos in pear juice. (And it
certainly can't be denied that they are nicely weighted and the
*perfect* shape for fitting in the hand to chuck at stray cats! :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(Phred) wrote:

> This one looks remarkedly like what we buy here as a "turnip":
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/y5c3uy> or in full:
>
> <
http://www.umassvegetable.
> org/images/soils_crops_pest_mgt/crop/rutabaga2.jpg>
>
> If the bottom was whiter, it would be a turnip. However the yellowish
> tinge looks more like the colour of our swede turnips -- but the
> swedes I see here in the deep north of the deep south don't usually
> have much purple on the top section. However, I have to admit a
> google on "swede turnip" turned up things like this:
>
> <http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/IMAGES/swede_brora_2.jpg>
>
> which is damn close to the image I referenced above. So I suspect
> your rootabugger is our swede turnip.

Yep. Rutabaga = swede. We call 'em swedes in NZ, too.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:08:17 +1100, "ant" >
wrote:

>Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the world. Worse even
>than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a dollar each. Chokos
>are for throwing at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar for one?

Parsnips are fine when combined with other things and used in
moderation. I have never tasted Chocos though, not even by the name
it's called here in the US: chayote.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Liz Liz is offline

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:08:17 +1100, "ant" >
> wrote:
>
>>Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the world. Worse even
>>than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a dollar each.
>>Chokos
>>are for throwing at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar for one?

> Parsnips are fine when combined with other things and used in
> moderation. I have never tasted Chocos though, not even by the name
> it's called here in the US: chayote.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smiley face first

That's probably because they have no taste.

Liz

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Liz wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:10:11 GMT:

L> <sf> wrote in message
??>> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:08:17 +1100, "ant"

??>> wrote:
??>>
??>>> Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the
??>>> world. Worse even than Chokos. I saw some chokos for
??>>> sale recently for a dollar each. Chokos are for throwing
??>>> at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar for one?
??>>
??>> Parsnips are fine when combined with other things and used
??>> in moderation. I have never tasted Chocos though, not
??>> even by the name it's called here in the US: chayote.
??>>
??>> --
??>> See return address to reply by email
??>> remove the smiley face first

L> That's probably because they have no taste.

They have the rather mild taste comparable with most squashes;
all of which need some sort of sauce!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:41:29 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Liz wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:10:11 GMT:
>
> L> <sf> wrote in message
.. .
> ??>> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:08:17 +1100, "ant"
>
> ??>> wrote:
> ??>>
> ??>>> Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the
> ??>>> world. Worse even than Chokos. I saw some chokos for
> ??>>> sale recently for a dollar each. Chokos are for throwing
> ??>>> at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar for one?
> ??>>
> ??>> Parsnips are fine when combined with other things and used
> ??>> in moderation. I have never tasted Chocos though, not
> ??>> even by the name it's called here in the US: chayote.
> ??>>
> ??>> --
> ??>> See return address to reply by email
> ??>> remove the smiley face first
>
> L> That's probably because they have no taste.
>
>They have the rather mild taste comparable with most squashes;
>all of which need some sort of sauce!

Most squash need a sauce? I steam summer squash and I bake winter
squash. I don't fry them and I don't sauce them either. All they
need is a little butter.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

sf wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:53:57 -0800:

??>> Liz wrote on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:10:11 GMT:
??>>
L>>> <sf> wrote in message
??>> ...
??>>>> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:08:17 +1100, "ant"
??>> >
??>>>> wrote:
??>>>>
??>>>>> Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the
??>>>>> world. Worse even than Chokos. I saw some chokos for
??>>>>> sale recently for a dollar each. Chokos are for
??>>>>> throwing at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar
??>>>>> for one?
??>>>>
??>>>> Parsnips are fine when combined with other things and
??>>>> used in moderation. I have never tasted Chocos though,
??>>>> not even by the name it's called here in the US:
chayote.
??>>>>
??>>>> --
??>>>> See return address to reply by email
??>>>> remove the smiley face first
??>>
L>>> That's probably because they have no taste.
??>>
??>> They have the rather mild taste comparable with most
??>> squashes; all of which need some sort of sauce!
??>>
s> Most squash need a sauce? I steam summer squash and I bake
s> winter squash. I don't fry them and I don't sauce them
s> either. All they need is a little butter.

Tastes do differ a lot! Even butter might be considered a sauce
or flavoring and, while butter alone would work for *baked*
chayotes, IMHO of course, summer and winter squash seemed to
need at least onions cooked with them to be interesting. The
only vegetables that don't need a sauce, again IMHO!, are peas,
carrots, lima beans, cabbage, sprouts and corn (butter helps
with the last three too!) However, to each their own :-) I know
the mention of limas may cause dissension (it occurs in my
family) so I promise not to respond to posts denouncing them!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:08:17 +1100, "ant" >
> wrote:
>
> >Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the world. Worse even
> >than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a dollar each. Chokos
> >are for throwing at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar for one?

> Parsnips are fine when combined with other things and used in
> moderation. I have never tasted Chocos though, not even by the name
> it's called here in the US: chayote.

Here is a recipe for you to try then (would work with any squash):

Chayotes with Cheese [Chayotes con Queso] From 'Mexican Cookery'/
Barbara Hansen

1 1/2 lb chayotes
water
2 tbs butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 to 1 serrano or other small green chile finely chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 oz/one cup Monterey Jack cheese or queso fresco, crumbled

Cut chayote in quarters add water to cover and boil gently for 30
minutes. Drain, cool, remove seeds, peel and dice the flesh.
Melt butter, add onion and chile. Cook until onion is tender but not
browned. Add diced cooked chayote. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Top with cheese and cook until cheese is melted. Stir gently.

4--5 servings
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Phred" > wrote in message
> "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>>"Phred" > wrote in message
>>> "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>>> [snip]

(snip)

>>It's a root. It's root-a-baig-a

(snip)
>>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=rutabaga&gbv=2

> This one looks remarkedly like what we buy here as a "turnip":
> <http://tinyurl.com/y5c3uy>

Phred, if I was buying something that looked like that here in Aus., I'd
consider that I was buying a Swede.

> If the bottom was whiter, it would be a turnip. However the yellowish
> tinge looks more like the colour of our swede turnips -- but the
> swedes I see here in the deep north of the deep south don't usually
> have much purple on the top section. However, I have to admit a
> google on "swede turnip" turned up things like this:
>
> <http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/IMAGES/swede_brora_2.jpg>
>
> which is damn close to the image I referenced above. So I suspect
> your rootabugger is our swede turnip.

This is where botanical names are useful. Both Swedes and Turnips are
Brassica but the Swede has the botanical name of 'Brassica napus
napobrassica' and Turnip is 'Brassica rapa var. rapa'.
http://www.innvista.com/health/foods...es/turnips.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"ant" > wrote in message
> Phred wrote:

>> I always like some swedes, ordinary turnips, and parsnips in stews.

> Parsnips. Arguably the most disgusting vegetable in the world.

Having read about your food interests (you aren't a wimp or a Shane Warne),
I suspect that you may never have had the chance to eat a really fresh
parsnip.

Really fresh parsnips are best steamed and mashed with good butter and they
are superb, (nutty and sweet) but getting really fresh ones is almost
impossible. I've only ever managed it twice in my life (I;m over 50), but
the memory of them is enough to have me sitting here drooling.

Worse even
> than Chokos. I saw some chokos for sale recently for a dollar each.
> Chokos > are for throwing at cats. why on earth would you pay a dollar for
> one?

Fresh young chokoes steamed and served with butter are also delightful
(delicate but destinct flavour), but given where you live, it's probably
also the older, less fresh ones you can buy round where you live.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FarmI wrote:

> Really fresh parsnips are best steamed and mashed with good butter and
> they are superb, (nutty and sweet) but getting really fresh ones is
> almost impossible. I've only ever managed it twice in my life (I;m
> over 50), but the memory of them is enough to have me sitting here
> drooling.

I hope that "nutty" is nuttier than the "nutty" I see attributed to some
cheeses. I like cheese, and variety, but I've never tasted any "nutty"
in any of the supposedly "nutty" cheeses I've tried. I've begun to
believe that the nutty part is the people who call them "nutty".

--
Blinky T. "has turnips and rutabagas on hand but no parsnips" Shark
Killing all posts from Google Groups