Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Rutabagas [Was: Protein for vegetable "soup". [Was: Mini meatballs and dipping sauce]]

"Phred" > wrote in message
> "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>>"Phred" > wrote in message
>>> "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>>> [snip]

(snip)

>>It's a root. It's root-a-baig-a

(snip)
>>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=rutabaga&gbv=2

> This one looks remarkedly like what we buy here as a "turnip":
> <http://tinyurl.com/y5c3uy>

Phred, if I was buying something that looked like that here in Aus., I'd
consider that I was buying a Swede.

> If the bottom was whiter, it would be a turnip. However the yellowish
> tinge looks more like the colour of our swede turnips -- but the
> swedes I see here in the deep north of the deep south don't usually
> have much purple on the top section. However, I have to admit a
> google on "swede turnip" turned up things like this:
>
> <http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/IMAGES/swede_brora_2.jpg>
>
> which is damn close to the image I referenced above. So I suspect
> your rootabugger is our swede turnip.

This is where botanical names are useful. Both Swedes and Turnips are
Brassica but the Swede has the botanical name of 'Brassica napus
napobrassica' and Turnip is 'Brassica rapa var. rapa'.
http://www.innvista.com/health/foods...es/turnips.htm