Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Phred Phred is offline

Default Rutabagas [Was: Protein for vegetable "soup". [Was: Mini meatballs and dipping sauce]]

In article >, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:

>"Phred" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "Dee.Dee"
>> > wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>>Rutabagas, I will use, though, in moderation.

>> Now, now Dee Dee, no need to be rude...
>>
>> (I'd never heard of those things until I came back to RFC after an
>> absence of a decade or so and, in explanation of the above comment,
>> I've still no idea of the correct pronunciation... I'm left with my
>> own phonetic construction: rut_a_bag_as(s) ;-)

>Click on the volume control for the pronounciation.
>http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/featur...ts.aspx?refid=
>1861706625

When I finally get a new PC with sound I might try that, thank you.
(I've been living for >5 years with this one without sound -- but then
I've never owned a TV either.

>It's a root. It's root-a-baig-a

Good god! It's almost ruder than my version using the animal
euphemism -- you're only saved by a politer ending! ;-)

>http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=rutabaga&gbv=2

This one looks remarkedly like what we buy here as a "turnip":

<http://tinyurl.com/y5c3uy> or in full:

<http://www.umassvegetable.
org/images/soils_crops_pest_mgt/crop/rutabaga2.jpg>

If the bottom was whiter, it would be a turnip. However the yellowish
tinge looks more like the colour of our swede turnips -- but the
swedes I see here in the deep north of the deep south don't usually
have much purple on the top section. However, I have to admit a
google on "swede turnip" turned up things like this:

<http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/IMAGES/swede_brora_2.jpg>

which is damn close to the image I referenced above. So I suspect
your rootabugger is our swede turnip.

>I try to find them unwaxed and organic; almost an impossibility unless you
>go to a upscale grocery market.
>When they are fresh, they are very mild.
>
>When they are waxed and sit around, there is a difference in taste, just
>like the difference between a young and older carrot.

I always like some swedes, ordinary turnips, and parsnips in stews.
(Along with all the usual stuff of course.) Unfortunately, the ones
available here most of the year look like they've been somewhere else
most of a year.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID