Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food
Phred Phred is offline

Default Protein for vegetable "soup". [Was: Mini meatballs and dipping sauce]

In article <Jkr0j.5228$701.2816@trndny08>, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>"Phred" > wrote in message
>
>> Thanks for your various suggestions, mates; but I'm afraid I left
>> myself open to being taken a little too literally... I'm not looking
>> for "protein" in terms of nutrition here, but as something to add a
>> bit more body/flavour/whatever to the brew -- shall we say, to make it
>> more "interesting".
>>
>> As I think I said originally, I tried stirring cheese through one
>> batch, but wasn't terribly impressed with the result. I would have
>> used shredded chook, if I had any bits in the house to poach. (That's
>> poach as in cooking; not as in knocking off the neighbour's hen.
>>
>> The idea of most other chopped meats in the brew doesn't appeal in
>> prospect -- though something like bits of a savory snag might be OK.
>>
>> Maybe the answer is just to add more and stronger seasonings.

>You may have added too much cauliflower. My MIL did that once and nobody
>could eat the soup. The flavor just overpowered everything. I can tolerate
>a small amount of cauliflower in a soup, but not too much.

Hmm... That could be the problem, though I actually like cauliflower,
and especially those "cheesy cauliflower" brews. (YMMV ;-)
However, there's no doubt my present "soup" contains a *lot* of
cauliflower -- probably 70 to 80% of the total solids, and damn nearly
the same of the total "soup" which has rather little liquid.

I bought some chook today, so I'm going to try the "shredded poached
chook" approach tonight, using a bloody spicey poaching liquid.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID