Posted to alt.food.wine
James Dempster James Dempster is offline

Default 1998 Opus One

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:11:48 -0500, Lawrence Leichtman
> wrote:

>I have never understood the appeal. I have had 10 different vintages of
>what I thought was an OK $25-30 wine.

It's interesting that the general opinion is that Opus One is
overrated. My only experience of it was in a restaurant in Macau in
2000. Thankfully, I wasn't buying. I don't know the vintage but I
found it pleasant and quite drinkable though lacking a little in
elegance.

I recall that there were a number of clarets on the list that I would
rather have had and that my comment to friends on returning to the UK
was that the Columbia "David Lake" Cabernet that we'd been drinking in
the summer of that year was a much better wine.

The only thing to write home about was that the Opus wasn't anything
to write home about.

James

James Dempster

You know you've had a good night