David Wright

Default cooking with canned beans

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:31:09 GMT, Rich McCormack >
wrote:

>"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
>> Rich, I like your recipes (saved them all) but I gotta ask. Do you ever use
>> epazote? Not that you're supposed to but I'm just curious.
>>
>> Jack

>I see epazote mentioned in black bean recipes more often than
>pinto bean. I hadn't ever tried it until I found some growing
>in my back yard a few years ago and decided to give it a try in
>black beans. I couldn't tell any difference with or without,
>so I stopped using it. I've seen epazote mentioned as a salad
>green as well. I wouldn't use it in a salad myself. To me,
>it tastes like what I imagine turpentine would taste like
>if I were to take a swig. I guess it's kinda like cilantro,
>an acquired taste.

LOL! I planted some epazote in my yard to use with beans. A friend who
was born and raised in Durango (Mexico, not Colorado) saw it one day
and took some home to show his wife the stuff his mama had used to
make a vile tea for him and his brother when they had upset tummies.
He said they soon learned not to let her know when they felt sick.

David