Rich McCormack

Default cooking with canned beans

Brothy Beans

1 1/2 teaspoons - chopped hot red chile
1 1/2 teaspoons - chopped mild green chile
1 tablespoon - chopped white onion
1 tablespoon - lard or vegetable oil
1 pint - canned pinto beans
1/8 cup water or broth

Heat lard or vegetable oil in a sauce pan. Add chiles and onion.
Sauté until soft and translucent. Add beans and water or broth
to pan and heat to bubbling.

Frijoles Refritos

1 1/2 teaspoons - chopped hot red chile
1 1/2 teaspoons - chopped mild green chile
1 tablespoon - chopped white onion
1 tablespoon - lard or vegetable oil
1 pint canned pinto beans
1/4 cup - water or broth

Heat lard or vegetable oil in a cast iron frying pan. Add chiles
and onion. Sauté until soft and translucent. Add beans to pan
and briefly fry. Mash beans with a potato masher. Add water
or broth and continue cooking beans, stirring constantly, until
desired consistency is reached.

Bean Dip

1 pint - canned pinto beans
1 tablespoon - Salsa de Chile Arbol (use more or less as desired)
1/2 cup - water or broth
1 tablespoon - lard or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon - crushed red chile
1/3 cup - grated cheese (optional)

Place beans, broth and salsa in a blender and blend until well
pureed. Heat lard or vegetable oil in a cast iron frying pan.
Pour puree into frying pan and cook down to desired consistency,
constantly stirring and scraping the bottom and sides of pan
to prevent scorching. Stir in the crushed red chile and cheese
if desired. Serve hot or cold as a dip for tostaditas. The puree
will thicken as it cools. If necessary, stir in a little water
or broth to thin.

Sopa de Frijoles

2 pints - canned pinto beans
2 cups - chicken broth
2 tomatoes - peeled and seeded
1/4 pound - bulk Mexican-style chorizo
1/8 cup - chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon - vegetable oil
1/4 cup - white onion, chopped
1 clove - garlic, peeled and chopped
Pico de Gallo seasoning to taste
freshly grated parmaesan cheese as needed

Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic and 1/2 cup canned beans in blender.
Blend until well pureed. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan. Crumble
chorizo into pan and saute over medium heat for five minutes, breaking
sausage apart and stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add chopped
red pepper and saute until tender. Add tomato, onion, garlic and bean
puree to pan and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add rest of
beans and broth. Season to taste with Pico de Gallo Seasoning. Simmer
over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Ladle soup into soup bowls,
sprinkling each bowl of soup with grated parmaesan cheese.
Charles Gifford

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message

> Brothy Beans

<snip>

Thanks Rich! These all look good.

Charlie

Rich McCormack

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
> >
> > Brothy Beans

> <snip>
>
> Thanks Rich! These all look good.
>
> Charlie

Hi Charlie

They taste best using my homecanned beans, but storebought beans
will do in a pinch... ;-)

Rich
Linda

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message

> Charles Gifford wrote:
> >
> > "Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Brothy Beans

> > <snip>
> >
> > Thanks Rich! These all look good.
> >
> > Charlie

> Hi Charlie
>
> They taste best using my homecanned beans, but storebought beans
> will do in a pinch... ;-)
>
> Rich

When I buy storebought canned beans, I like the Sun Vista brand.
They taste pretty good.
Of course nothing can beat homemade cooked beans!

Linda

Rich McCormack

Linda wrote:

> When I buy storebought canned beans, I like the Sun Vista brand.
> They taste pretty good.
> Of course nothing can beat homemade cooked beans!

Years ago, I was often called upon to make a pot of Frijoles de Olla
for family meal gatherings that called for cooked pinto beans. I used
a low and slow cooking method that made great pinto beans. My kids
are all grown now and have their own families. Making a big pot of
beans is not practical for just my wife and I, so canned beans in
amounts suitable for two are the answer. My wife actually says she
likes my homecanned beans better than the big pots of cooked beans
I used to make. Don't know about that, but my homecanned beans are
pretty tasty...I think it's the Pico de Gallo seasoning I add to each
jar rather than mere salt...

Rich

Jack Schidt®

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message

> Linda wrote:
>
> > When I buy storebought canned beans, I like the Sun Vista brand.
> > They taste pretty good.
> > Of course nothing can beat homemade cooked beans!

> Years ago, I was often called upon to make a pot of Frijoles de Olla
> for family meal gatherings that called for cooked pinto beans. I used
> a low and slow cooking method that made great pinto beans. My kids
> are all grown now and have their own families. Making a big pot of
> beans is not practical for just my wife and I, so canned beans in
> amounts suitable for two are the answer. My wife actually says she
> likes my homecanned beans better than the big pots of cooked beans
> I used to make. Don't know about that, but my homecanned beans are
> pretty tasty...I think it's the Pico de Gallo seasoning I add to each
> jar rather than mere salt...
>
> Rich

Rich, I like your recipes (saved them all) but I gotta ask. Do you ever use
epazote? Not that you're supposed to but I'm just curious.

Jack

Rich McCormack

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> Rich, I like your recipes (saved them all) but I gotta ask. Do you ever use
> epazote? Not that you're supposed to but I'm just curious.
>
> Jack

I see epazote mentioned in black bean recipes more often than
pinto bean. I hadn't ever tried it until I found some growing
in my back yard a few years ago and decided to give it a try in
black beans. I couldn't tell any difference with or without,
so I stopped using it. I've seen epazote mentioned as a salad
green as well. I wouldn't use it in a salad myself. To me,
it tastes like what I imagine turpentine would taste like
if I were to take a swig. I guess it's kinda like cilantro,
an acquired taste.
David Wright

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:31:09 GMT, Rich McCormack >
wrote:

>"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
>
>> Rich, I like your recipes (saved them all) but I gotta ask. Do you ever use
>> epazote? Not that you're supposed to but I'm just curious.
>>
>> Jack

>I see epazote mentioned in black bean recipes more often than
>pinto bean. I hadn't ever tried it until I found some growing
>in my back yard a few years ago and decided to give it a try in
>black beans. I couldn't tell any difference with or without,
>so I stopped using it. I've seen epazote mentioned as a salad
>green as well. I wouldn't use it in a salad myself. To me,
>it tastes like what I imagine turpentine would taste like
>if I were to take a swig. I guess it's kinda like cilantro,
>an acquired taste.

LOL! I planted some epazote in my yard to use with beans. A friend who
was born and raised in Durango (Mexico, not Colorado) saw it one day
and took some home to show his wife the stuff his mama had used to
make a vile tea for him and his brother when they had upset tummies.
He said they soon learned not to let her know when they felt sick.

David
Rich McCormack

David Wright wrote:

> LOL! I planted some epazote in my yard to use with beans. A friend who
> was born and raised in Durango (Mexico, not Colorado) saw it one day
> and took some home to show his wife the stuff his mama had used to
> make a vile tea for him and his brother when they had upset tummies.
> He said they soon learned not to let her know when they felt sick.
>
> David

Another name for epazote is wormseed. A tea made from the leaves
supposedly expels intestinal worms and parasites. Apparently, it's
also used to treat gout...something I unfortunately suffer from
occasionally. I guess I could try a cup or two of epazote tea when
the symptoms occur, but reading your description above tells me
I should stick with the anti-inflamatory drugs. Here's the URL
to a website with more info about epazote than most anyone really
needs to know...

http://www.rain-tree.com/epazote.htm