Rich McCormack

Default cooking with canned beans

Linda wrote:

> When I buy storebought canned beans, I like the Sun Vista brand.
> They taste pretty good.
> Of course nothing can beat homemade cooked beans!

Years ago, I was often called upon to make a pot of Frijoles de Olla
for family meal gatherings that called for cooked pinto beans. I used
a low and slow cooking method that made great pinto beans. My kids
are all grown now and have their own families. Making a big pot of
beans is not practical for just my wife and I, so canned beans in
amounts suitable for two are the answer. My wife actually says she
likes my homecanned beans better than the big pots of cooked beans
I used to make. Don't know about that, but my homecanned beans are
pretty tasty...I think it's the Pico de Gallo seasoning I add to each
jar rather than mere salt...

Rich