Posted to aus.food,rec.food.cooking
Phred Phred is offline

Default Protein for vegetable "soup". [Was: Mini meatballs and dipping sauce]

In article >, sm > wrote:
>ant wrote:
>> sm wrote:
>>> I was looking at the Coles Christmas magazine today.
>>> They have a recipe for meatballs and yoghurt sauce.
>>>
>>> The yoghurt sauce is simply:
>>> 200g greek style yoghurt
>>> 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped mint
>>> 1 garlic clove, crushed
>>>
>>> Just combine in a bowl.
>>>
>>> That sounds good too.

>> And I'll go offtopic with my current favourite pasta recipe. I was dreaming
>> of the american spagetti and meatballs one night (in a tomato sauce).
>> Trolled around coles and the Chevapi sausages were marked down.
>>
>> So I cooked those, drained them and cut them into small meat-ball sized
>> bits, and cooked them in tinned crushed tomatoes, garlic, a bit of mint,
>> pinch of chilli powder. Served with long non-egg pasta, and as serving,
>> mixed in some thick yogurt (so it didn't curdle), and a good squeeze of
>> lemon.
>>
>> It's bloody nice, and slightly turkish-tasting.

>Quoted in full for Phred. Because I'm nice like that.

Thank you for re-posting that, sm. I like nice people. :-)
(Thank you to ant too; your reply re scissored snags also noted. :-)

Actually, I'm wondering if those scissored snags would have helped me
out this evening... Yesterday, I made a (rather big) batch of
"vegetable soup" -- really just a *lot* of cauliflower, plus carrots,
onion, garlic, and a bit of celery, cooked minimally in chicken stock
with a bit of curry powder added. It was pretty lumpy for soup and
was lacking "something" -- i.e. something in the line of protein.

So, tonight, I was wondering how best to improve the leftovers and
considered either shredded poached chook or some sort of grated
tasty cheese stirred through the reheated brew. In view of local
circumstances at the time (no chook) I went with the cheese, and I
can't say it was much improvement over the plain veg brew. :-(

Maybe those chopped up snags would have been acceptable? But I'm also
open to other suggestions as I still have one bowl of the brew in the
fridge. (Did I say I made rather a lot of the stuff?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID