Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mo[_2_] Mo[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone in Norfolk Area? Ethinic grocerys

"Cshenk" > wrote in message

> "Mo" wrote
>
>>> Hi! Just an info post. If there is anyone in the general area of
>>> Norfolk here, I've found 2 I think well of.

>>> appreciate any tips!
>>>

>> If you make it up to the Penninsula, there's a great Asian market on
>> Warwick Blvd (Rt. 60) just south of the Denbiegh area. It was called Kim
>> Milling for years, but they've recently changed it to E Market (not sure
>> how it's listed in phone books or on the web). It's a full-sized grocery
>> store with a large produce section and an excellent fish market. It's
>> pan-Asian, but I think the proprietors are Korean, as there's an
>> especially good selection of Korean staples.

> Cool! I know where Warwick is. Roughly how far north of the bridge
> between us is that store? I'd be on the main one leading past the main
> Naval base. Warwick as i recall is a north/south roughly road that sorta
> parallels the shipyard. Can't recall if it's left or right of the train
> tracks.
>
> There is a specific Korean sauce I am looking for. I do not have the name
> or a sample bottle as i was not allowed to ship food items from Japan
> stateside. I used to get several every trip to Korea (on a ship out of
> Sasebo, got to Korea 2-3 times a year for 6.5 years). All I can say is it
> had no english label, was in a plastic bottle, looked like tomato based
> but no dicernable tomato flavor. 'Medium hot by Korean standards'. We
> used it to season meats and to make kimchee. Grin, probably not the
> intended use of it, but worked great. The shop keepers would normally
> think I was crazy when I'd get it (not a typical round-eye product) and
> try to point me to the hot-sweet dipping sauces. Now, I like those too,
> but I could get them in plenty anywhere. The Korean sauce though, I never
> found outside Korea. It's the only thing I didnt find in the VB Asian
> Grocery but then, I didnt spend but 1 hour there so may have missed it.
> It was not in the isle they pointed me to though.
>
> If you go to your local one fairly often, could you perchance ask if it
> sounds familiar?

Sure, I'll ask. They have thousands of sauces there, and I can think of
several that meet your description. Was it a chili paste?

Here's the google maps link. I think it's about 10 or 12 miles north on
Warwick:
http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&out...&cd=1&resnum=2

There's a large Korean community in Newport News - there are two other
smaller Korean markets within a few miles of this one, as well as an
excellent restaurant, Kyung Sun, that caters to the Korean population (not
just the trendy Korean hibachi dishes you find in most Korean restaurants).
And while you're up there, there's a really nice fish market called De
Maria's in the neighborhood as well (with some really good andoule sausages,
of all things). It's about a 35 mile drive for me to get down there (I'm in
Gloucester) so I almost always go to all of them when I'm there. Oh yeah,
there's a Trader Joe's nearby, too. About once per month I make my
pilgrimage.

I used to work/live in VB, at False Cape State Park. If you haven't
discovered it yet, you need to. You park at the south end of Sandbridge, and
from there it's a 6 mile hike or bike ride, or occasionally a shuttle ride,
through Back Bay Wildlife Refuge to the north end of the park. It's one of
the real treasures of the east coast.

Cheers
Mo