Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anyone in Norfolk Area? Ethinic grocerys

"Cshenk" > wrote in message
> Hi! Just an info post. If there is anyone in the general area of Norfolk
> here, I've found 2 I think well of.
>
> 1- Asian Grocery, corner of Great Neck and Route58 (VB BVD). On the left
> on Great Neck but you can see it from R58 if coming from the Oceanfront.
> I think it's London Bridge RD at the southern end of the intersection or
> real near it. Just north of R58. Good big place, excellent prices. Most
> of the produce looks very good. Lots of hard to find items. This week is
> live blue crabs at 1.69lb. Many harder to find meat types and odd things
> like pig blood for blood sausages and such. Fresh tofu for 25cents a
> block (about 3/4 size of the water packed blocks).
>
> 2- Little Israel, Independance BLVD north of R58 just north of Pembroke
> mall area on the right in a small strip mall. Not a big place but many
> hard to find items and great prices on spices. Kosher meats (all frozen).
> Many brands although not carrying label that screams 'low sodium' at you,
> when you check, they are much lower than normal store versions of same.
> No, you dont have to be Jewish to shop there <grin>.
>
> If anyone local knows some other good places (I'm in Virginia Beach) I'd
> appreciate any tips!

If you make it up to the Penninsula, there's a great Asian market on Warwick
Blvd (Rt. 60) just south of the Denbiegh area. It was called Kim Milling for
years, but they've recently changed it to E Market (not sure how it's listed
in phone books or on the web). It's a full-sized grocery store with a large
produce section and an excellent fish market. It's pan-Asian, but I think
the proprietors are Korean, as there's an especially good selection of
Korean staples.

Cheers
MO

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mo" wrote

>> Hi! Just an info post. If there is anyone in the general area of
>> Norfolk here, I've found 2 I think well of.

>> appreciate any tips!
>>

> If you make it up to the Penninsula, there's a great Asian market on
> Warwick Blvd (Rt. 60) just south of the Denbiegh area. It was called Kim
> Milling for years, but they've recently changed it to E Market (not sure
> how it's listed in phone books or on the web). It's a full-sized grocery
> store with a large produce section and an excellent fish market. It's
> pan-Asian, but I think the proprietors are Korean, as there's an
> especially good selection of Korean staples.

Cool! I know where Warwick is. Roughly how far north of the bridge between
us is that store? I'd be on the main one leading past the main Naval base.
Warwick as i recall is a north/south roughly road that sorta parallels the
shipyard. Can't recall if it's left or right of the train tracks.

There is a specific Korean sauce I am looking for. I do not have the name
or a sample bottle as i was not allowed to ship food items from Japan
stateside. I used to get several every trip to Korea (on a ship out of
Sasebo, got to Korea 2-3 times a year for 6.5 years). All I can say is it
had no english label, was in a plastic bottle, looked like tomato based but
no dicernable tomato flavor. 'Medium hot by Korean standards'. We used it
to season meats and to make kimchee. Grin, probably not the intended use of
it, but worked great. The shop keepers would normally think I was crazy
when I'd get it (not a typical round-eye product) and try to point me to the
hot-sweet dipping sauces. Now, I like those too, but I could get them in
plenty anywhere. The Korean sauce though, I never found outside Korea.
It's the only thing I didnt find in the VB Asian Grocery but then, I didnt
spend but 1 hour there so may have missed it. It was not in the isle they
pointed me to though.

If you go to your local one fairly often, could you perchance ask if it
sounds familiar?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cshenk" > wrote in message

> "Mo" wrote
>
>>> Hi! Just an info post. If there is anyone in the general area of
>>> Norfolk here, I've found 2 I think well of.

>>> appreciate any tips!
>>>

>> If you make it up to the Penninsula, there's a great Asian market on
>> Warwick Blvd (Rt. 60) just south of the Denbiegh area. It was called Kim
>> Milling for years, but they've recently changed it to E Market (not sure
>> how it's listed in phone books or on the web). It's a full-sized grocery
>> store with a large produce section and an excellent fish market. It's
>> pan-Asian, but I think the proprietors are Korean, as there's an
>> especially good selection of Korean staples.

> Cool! I know where Warwick is. Roughly how far north of the bridge
> between us is that store? I'd be on the main one leading past the main
> Naval base. Warwick as i recall is a north/south roughly road that sorta
> parallels the shipyard. Can't recall if it's left or right of the train
> tracks.
>
> There is a specific Korean sauce I am looking for. I do not have the name
> or a sample bottle as i was not allowed to ship food items from Japan
> stateside. I used to get several every trip to Korea (on a ship out of
> Sasebo, got to Korea 2-3 times a year for 6.5 years). All I can say is it
> had no english label, was in a plastic bottle, looked like tomato based
> but no dicernable tomato flavor. 'Medium hot by Korean standards'. We
> used it to season meats and to make kimchee. Grin, probably not the
> intended use of it, but worked great. The shop keepers would normally
> think I was crazy when I'd get it (not a typical round-eye product) and
> try to point me to the hot-sweet dipping sauces. Now, I like those too,
> but I could get them in plenty anywhere. The Korean sauce though, I never
> found outside Korea. It's the only thing I didnt find in the VB Asian
> Grocery but then, I didnt spend but 1 hour there so may have missed it.
> It was not in the isle they pointed me to though.
>
> If you go to your local one fairly often, could you perchance ask if it
> sounds familiar?

Sure, I'll ask. They have thousands of sauces there, and I can think of
several that meet your description. Was it a chili paste?

Here's the google maps link. I think it's about 10 or 12 miles north on
Warwick:
http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&out...&cd=1&resnum=2

There's a large Korean community in Newport News - there are two other
smaller Korean markets within a few miles of this one, as well as an
excellent restaurant, Kyung Sun, that caters to the Korean population (not
just the trendy Korean hibachi dishes you find in most Korean restaurants).
And while you're up there, there's a really nice fish market called De
Maria's in the neighborhood as well (with some really good andoule sausages,
of all things). It's about a 35 mile drive for me to get down there (I'm in
Gloucester) so I almost always go to all of them when I'm there. Oh yeah,
there's a Trader Joe's nearby, too. About once per month I make my
pilgrimage.

I used to work/live in VB, at False Cape State Park. If you haven't
discovered it yet, you need to. You park at the south end of Sandbridge, and
from there it's a 6 mile hike or bike ride, or occasionally a shuttle ride,
through Back Bay Wildlife Refuge to the north end of the park. It's one of
the real treasures of the east coast.

Cheers
Mo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cshenk wrote:
> "Mo" wrote

>> I used to work/live in VB, at False Cape State Park. If you haven't
>> discovered it yet, you need to. You park at the south end of Sandbridge,
>> and
>> from there it's a 6 mile hike or bike ride, or occasionally a shuttle
>> ride,
>> through Back Bay Wildlife Refuge to the north end of the park. It's one of
>> the real treasures of the east coast.

> I always liked Fort Story. Quiet and secluded area.

My husband was attached to Little Creek Amphibious Base, but worked on
Fort Story. As far as I'm concerned Fort Story was the Army's best kept
secret. We lived in quarters only one year then bought a couple of
houses (ending up near Sandbridge) but it's a great place to live all
round. We left in 1989.
ObFood- cheap, cheap lunches at the Fort Story O'Club daily because they
had to serve a certain amount of food to offset the liquor sales on the
whole. Ah.. those were the days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mo" wrote
"Cshenk" wrote

>> If you go to your local one fairly often, could you perchance ask if it
>> sounds familiar?
>>

> Sure, I'll ask. They have thousands of sauces there, and I can think of
> several that meet your description. Was it a chili paste?

Appreciate it! A sauce, not so thick as a paste. About like Heinz ketchup
in thickness.

> There's a large Korean community in Newport News - there are two other
> smaller Korean markets within a few miles of this one, as well as an
> excellent restaurant, Kyung Sun, that caters to the Korean population (not
> just the trendy Korean hibachi dishes you find in most Korean
> restaurants).

Good! I may want to check it, but I'm still looking over the closer places
as of yet.

> And while you're up there, there's a really nice fish market called De
> Maria's in the neighborhood as well (with some really good andoule
> sausages,
> of all things). It's about a 35 mile drive for me to get down there (I'm
> in
> Gloucester) so I almost always go to all of them when I'm there. Oh yeah,
> there's a Trader Joe's nearby, too. About once per month I make my
> pilgrimage.

Hehe 40 miles up for me I think.

> I used to work/live in VB, at False Cape State Park. If you haven't
> discovered it yet, you need to. You park at the south end of Sandbridge,
> and
> from there it's a 6 mile hike or bike ride, or occasionally a shuttle
> ride,
> through Back Bay Wildlife Refuge to the north end of the park. It's one of
> the real treasures of the east coast.

I always liked Fort Story. Quiet and secluded area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Cshenk wrote:
>> "Mo" wrote

>>> I used to work/live in VB, at False Cape State Park. If you haven't
>>> discovered it yet, you need to. You park at the south end of
>>> Sandbridge, and
>>> from there it's a 6 mile hike or bike ride, or occasionally a shuttle
>>> ride,
>>> through Back Bay Wildlife Refuge to the north end of the park. It's
>>> one of
>>> the real treasures of the east coast.

>> I always liked Fort Story. Quiet and secluded area.
>>

> My husband was attached to Little Creek Amphibious Base, but worked on
> Fort Story. As far as I'm concerned Fort Story was the Army's best kept
> secret. We lived in quarters only one year then bought a couple of
> houses (ending up near Sandbridge) but it's a great place to live all
> round. We left in 1989.
> ObFood- cheap, cheap lunches at the Fort Story O'Club daily because they
> had to serve a certain amount of food to offset the liquor sales on the
> whole. Ah.. those were the days.

We just came from there...we were living in Little Creek's housing which
is new. Wonderful area....Ft. Story is nice! I wouldn't mind going back.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" wrote ..
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Cshenk wrote:

>>> I always liked Fort Story. Quiet and secluded area.
>>>

>> My husband was attached to Little Creek Amphibious Base, but worked on
>> Fort Story. As far as I'm concerned Fort Story was the Army's best kept
>> secret. We lived in quarters only one year then bought a couple of

Yup. Lovely place

> We just came from there...we were living in Little Creek's housing which
> is new. Wonderful area....Ft. Story is nice! I wouldn't mind going back.

I've seen the new housing there. NICE! But we have a house so no more of
that for us. Not unless we get transfered again away from the area.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cshenk wrote:
> "ravenlynne" wrote ..
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>>> My husband was attached to Little Creek Amphibious Base, but worked on
>>> Fort Story. As far as I'm concerned Fort Story was the Army's best kept
>>> secret. We lived in quarters only one year then bought a couple of

> Yup. Lovely place
>
>> We just came from there...we were living in Little Creek's housing which
>> is new. Wonderful area....Ft. Story is nice! I wouldn't mind going back.

> I've seen the new housing there. NICE! But we have a house so no more of
> that for us. Not unless we get transfered again away from the area.

We didn't look at houses because my husband was in C school and we were
only supposed to be t here 9 months. The housing market is insane
though. A friend bought a 3 bedroom 2 bath for $275,000 and it wasn't
even in a good neighborhood. No thank you.