Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent Kent is offline

Default Diabetics of r.f.c.

"Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> So...just how many of us are there?
>>

> One here, though I am completely diet controlled.
>
> I wonder if you can ever be considered "cured" of diabetes. If you go for
> several years with no medication, all diet control, no diabetic side
> effects? Just pondering
>
> Cindi

You can't. If you ever had a fasting blood sugar[FBS] over 110, you're
diabetic. If you have a FBS
in the 100-110 range you have metabolic syndrome, along with 40% of us over
the age of 60. You have insulin resistance, probably genetic. As Cindi has
done[and which most of us haven't] is to deal with this with diet. What's
really important about this is, the more glucose you consume, the more do
you contribute to your degree of insulin resistance, and the more do you
rise from the prediabetic state to type II diabetes.
This is a fascinating, and important medical syndrome[if you can call it
that]that has only been widely recognized for the past 10-15 years.
So, Cindi, keep doing what you're doing. I admire and wish for your food
discipline.

Kent