Old 08-11-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Diabetics of r.f.c.

So...just how many of us are there?

kimberly
--
http://one.revver.com/watch/324733/flv/affiliate/99865
"I think that's my bathing suit. Is that one of my bathing suits? That is totally my

Old 08-11-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 8, 2:43 pm, "Nexis" wrote:
So...just how many of us are there?

kimberly

Well, kimberly, if you're keeping a count, you can count me as 1. If
you're also including SO's, then you can add another 1.

Wayne

Old 08-11-2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 22:30:55 GMT, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:43:01 -0800, Nexis wrote:

So...just how many of us are there?

Enough to create another group, rec.food.cooking.diabetic ?

-sw

There already is a group called alt.food.diabetic.

Christine
Old 09-11-2007, 12:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote in :

So...just how many of us are there?

kimberly

I lost 60 lbs so I'm in denial... ain't no type 2 no more no more

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote in message
So...just how many of us are there?

One here, though I am completely diet controlled.

I wonder if you can ever be considered "cured" of diabetes. If you go for
several years with no medication, all diet control, no diabetic side
effects? Just pondering

Cindi

kimberly

Old 09-11-2007, 03:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

And another....out of control at the moment, but working on it. Type 2 with
insulin as a supplement.....Eric

Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" wrote in message
. net...

"Nexis" wrote in message
So...just how many of us are there?

One here, though I am completely diet controlled.

I wonder if you can ever be considered "cured" of diabetes. If you go for
several years with no medication, all diet control, no diabetic side
effects? Just pondering

Cindi

You can't. If you ever had a fasting blood sugar[FBS] over 110, you're
diabetic. If you have a FBS
in the 100-110 range you have metabolic syndrome, along with 40% of us over
the age of 60. You have insulin resistance, probably genetic. As Cindi has
done[and which most of us haven't] is to deal with this with diet. What's
really important about this is, the more glucose you consume, the more do
you contribute to your degree of insulin resistance, and the more do you
rise from the prediabetic state to type II diabetes.
This is a fascinating, and important medical syndrome[if you can call it
that]that has only been widely recognized for the past 10-15 years.
So, Cindi, keep doing what you're doing. I admire and wish for your food
discipline.

Kent

Old 09-11-2007, 06:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

So...just how many of us are there?

I was on the wrong side of the borderline for a while, but am now safe.

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote in message
So...just how many of us are there?

Me!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:43:01 -0800, Nexis wrote:

So...just how many of us are there?

Enough to create another group, rec.food.cooking.diabetic ?

There's already a diabetic food newsgroup. I believe Damsel started it, but
I could be wrong.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote in message
So...just how many of us are there?

One here, though I am completely diet controlled.

I wonder if you can ever be considered "cured" of diabetes. If you go for
several years with no medication, all diet control, no diabetic side
effects? Just pondering

SIL was pre-diabetic, but hers was odd. Only had high BG first thing in the
morning and after breakfast. Seemed no matter what she ate, it spiked her.
The rest of the day she could eat whatever she wanted and her BG remained
normal.

She lost over half of her body weight and now her BG remains normal all the
time. But, she has to watch every bite she eats. She tends to put on
weight easily I think.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 1,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote:

"Nexis" dropped this news:eqLYi.2690$mv3.2165
@newsfe10.phx: in rec.food.cooking

So...just how many of us are there?

kimberly

raising hand

Michael - type II controlled with diet/exercise and oral medication

Ditto.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote in message
So...just how many of us are there?

One here, though I am completely diet controlled.

I wonder if you can ever be considered "cured" of diabetes. If you go for
several years with no medication, all diet control, no diabetic side
effects? Just pondering

Cindi

You can't. If you ever had a fasting blood sugar[FBS] over 110, you're
diabetic. If you have a FBS
in the 100-110 range you have metabolic syndrome, along with 40% of us over
the age of 60.

Please provide a citation that backs up those diagnostic criteria.
Until then, refer here, which still states that FBG of 125 is
required for diagnosis.

http://www.sh.lsuhsc.edu/fammed/Outp...l/Diabetes.htm

And here, a layperson's article, which concurs with the above and also
talks about GTT levels.

http://metabolicsyndrome.about.com/o.../Diagnosis.htm

* Blood Glucose - A fasting glucose (FBG) test is taken to
determine if you have an impaired or malfunctioning response to
glucose. If you have a FBG of 110 mg/dL (6.1 mmol/L) or more you have
a risk factor.

* Oral Glucose Tolerance Test - This is a test to see how your
body handles glucose or sugar over time. You are required to fast from
eating, drinking and smoking 8 hours prior to the test. The lab will
take a fasting blood glucose sample when you arrive. This helps as a
basis of comparison to your blood glucose levels during the test. You
are given 75 g (3 oz.) of glucose to drink quickly. If you are
pregnant, you will be given 50 (2 oz.). Your blood sugar is then
tested again after 2 hours. If you are pregnant your blood sugar will
be tested after 1 hour and then again after 2 hours. If your results
are normal, your blood sugar results will be below 140 mg/dL (7.6
mmol/L) 2 hours after the drinking the glucose. In the Metabolic
Syndrome, or what is considered pre-diabetes, the 2-hour blood glucose
level is 140 to 199 mg/dL. (7.6 to 11.1 mmol/L). People with blood
glucose levels above 199 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) are considered to have
diabetes.

And here, the ADA's definitions.

http://www.diabetes.org/pre-diabetes...s-symptoms.jsp

Boron
Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 02:03:12 -0500, Stan Horwitz
wrote:

In article 1,
"Michael \"Dog3\"" wrote:

"Nexis" dropped this news:eqLYi.2690$mv3.2165
@newsfe10.phx: in rec.food.cooking

So...just how many of us are there?

kimberly

raising hand

Michael - type II controlled with diet/exercise and oral medication

Ditto.

Count me in.

Boron
Old 09-11-2007, 02:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" wrote in message
6.121...
"Nexis" dropped this news:eqLYi.2690$mv3.2165
@newsfe10.phx: in rec.food.cooking

So...just how many of us are there?

kimberly

raising hand

Michael - type II controlled with diet/exercise and oral medication

You can add me to the type II diet/excercise and oral meds group.

I'll be glad when I'm recovered enough from my shoulder surgery to go back
to weight lifting class. PT is going very well right now and I'm making
great progress.

Ms P

Optimum Diabetics Trahozavr Diabetic 0 01-10-2007 08:24 AM
vegetarian diabetics leslie Diabetic 6 27-04-2007 08:44 PM
Who says diabetics can't eat well? Stella Diabetic 9 15-11-2006 03:12 PM
Who says diabetics can't eat well? ( On Diabetes Day ) Stella General Cooking 4 14-11-2006 08:50 PM
jam for diabetics KK Preserving 1 06-08-2006 05:37 PM