Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin Steve Calvin is offline

Default Report: It's in the pit, part deux.

Dave T. wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> I "think" you said that you have a WSM. If not you can probably
>> disregard this. ;-)
>>
>> I went to Home Depot after getting my WSM and got two Weber
>> thermometers and mounted one at each grate level. Only required
>> drilling two holes and bolting them on - 10 minute job. I also added
>> two knobs. One on each side of the middle section. Hopefully you can
>> see from this pic.
>> http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL413.../103771621.jpg
>>
>> I use those and a probe inside the meat to monitor it's temp too and I
>> pretty much can control the cook.
>>

> Steve, thanks for the pic... this is exactly what I need. I thought
> about this in the first place, but I guess I talked myself out of it
> over the concern that the enamel might start to chip after drilling
> through it. Probably nothing to worry about there. How long is the probe
> on these thermometers?

No problem with chipping. I did mine three years ago and
they're still just fine. The probe on the back of the
thermometers is only about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. Doesn't
really matter how far into the WSM they go, the height is
the concern. I have mine positioned so that the probes are
directly over the grates. In retrospect, I should have
considered putting them directly under the grates but they
don't really get in the way as I have them.

--
Steve