Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Report: It's in the pit, part deux.

Dave T. wrote:

> Bottom line- this was the first unsuccessful cook for me, and really
> gave me a dose of reality. Learned something from it though that I
> will apply toward the next cook. I'm going to pick up a second probe
> for the Polder to place near the meat. I recall someone saying to put
> it through a potato on the cook rack. Any other suggestions? I'm
> feeling very humble right now. (visualize a tear on my cheek)d;(>

Dave, the only thermometer that matters is the one on the grate. It matters
not what the ambient temperature is in the dome. Forget the potato, unless
you need to monitor the temp of the potato. I suggest that you set up the
probe similar to this:
http://i22.tinypic.com/rk546r.jpg

Temp control is always something that must be learned when doing bbq. The
WSM doesn't eliminate the learning, it just reduces the learning curve a
bit. Hang in there.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com