Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave T. Dave T. is offline

Default Report: It's in the pit, part deux.

Dave T. wrote:

> Very easy to put into use, and easy to achieve the desired temp. It
> feels like it will be pleasurable to use. Can't wait for the finished
> product tonite.

Well, it ain't eggzakly a good report.

I guess I have to re-learn what little I thought I knew.

I learned that due to the extra height of this unit (compared to my
little Char-grill) I can no longer measure the chamber temperature at
the top of the dome. I maintained 225 F. at the top of the dome, and the
butt wouldn't cook! With the fact that it was a small hunk of pork (4.5
lbs.)I expected it to take 5-7 hours but after 8 hours the internal temp
was only 151 F.! When it finally dawned on me what was going on, I
tossed in a bunch of fuel to raised the temp, and the fire went out!! In
a minute I'm going to try to think of something that went right...

Just to shorten the story, finally got the temp at the dome up to 280 F.
and at midnite my butt was up to 185 F. internal. I pulled it out of the
pit, and my other butt went to bed hungry. The LBW finished the job and
reported that it did not pull well. Part of it had to be sliced.

Bottom line- this was the first unsuccessful cook for me, and really
gave me a dose of reality. Learned something from it though that I will
apply toward the next cook. I'm going to pick up a second probe for the
Polder to place near the meat. I recall someone saying to put it through
a potato on the cook rack. Any other suggestions? I'm feeling very
humble right now. (visualize a tear on my cheek)d;(>

--
Dave T.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.