Honey Instead of Sugar

Old 09-07-2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Honey Instead of Sugar

This year I am thinking of experimenting on a small batch of Chambourcin and using honey instead of sugar to chaptalize. I know that all honey is a little different but does anyone know the approximate ratio of honey to sugar conversion? For example, if it took two pounds of sugar, how much honey would this be?

Has anyone chaptalized with honey before and if so what were the results. I guess this would properly be called a Pyment.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

No clue on the ratios, sorry; but a question / concern; being a west coast winemaker, I'm not familiar with Chambourcin, but I would think that as a red varrietal, it might be peculiar to add the floral flavors that honey will add to the wine?

Old 10-07-2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
This year I am thinking of experimenting on a small batch of Chambourcin
and using honey instead of sugar to chaptalize. I know that all honey
is a little different but does anyone know the approximate ratio of
honey to sugar conversion? For example, if it took two pounds of sugar,
how much honey would this be?

Has anyone chaptalized with honey before and if so what were the
results. I guess this would properly be called a Pyment.

Hello. I make Mead. So that topic I personally have looked up. For I
sometimes use light brown sugar with my recipes.

Honey is 80% fermentable. So 1 lb sugar is about 1.2 pounds of honey.
2 lb sugar= 2.4 lb honey
Hope this is helpful.

Dave Whitney
Old 10-07-2006, 04:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I am not especially fond of the nose of Chambourcin and that is why I decided to experiment with it. Some love Chambourcin but I find it takes several years to get rid of the "Chambourciny" (for lack of a better descriptor) nose.

King Cake Denise~* General Cooking 11 04-03-2006 06:13 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 15-08-2005 05:24 AM
recipes with buttermilk? enigma General Cooking 17 12-08-2005 12:58 AM
rec.food.sourdough FAQ Recipes (part 1 of 2) Darrell Greenwood Sourdough 1 27-07-2005 05:30 AM