Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Mike McGeough

Default Wood Chips Added Before or After Fermentation?

Recently this topic has been discussed here, and a number of people were
of the opinion that adding the chips before was advantageous for reasons
of subtlety and integration of flavors. I share that view. But for a
different view, done rather scientifically it seems, see the link below:

http://www.infowine.com/default.asp?scheda=3345

Any comments?

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

--

Mike MTM, Cokesbury, New Jersey, USA

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
miker

I don't know what Cortese wines are, but I didn't know anyone used wood
on Riesling and wonder why they didn't look at red wines instead of
Chardonnay.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Mike McGeough

miker wrote:

> I don't know what Cortese wines are, but I didn't know anyone used wood
> on Riesling and wonder why they didn't look at red wines instead of
> Chardonnay.

Agreed. I wasn't exactly sure what they meant in all particulars either,
but I got the gist that: 1) chips work fine and 2) post fermentation use
was better. What wasn't clear to me was what it was better _than_.

I figured the authors only looked at whites because someone else had
already done similar research on reds. It's tough to get a research
grant for something that's been done before ;-) I'd like to see the a
study on reds too.

Mike MTM

http://www.usenet.com

Wood chips on gas Dasco[_2_] Barbecue 7 20-08-2008 12:56 AM
making wood chips hankus Barbecue 5 11-08-2006 09:41 PM
How often to add wood chips? ceed Barbecue 13 02-08-2005 03:46 AM
Looking for wood chips in Houston Tx DJboutit General Cooking 8 12-07-2004 06:00 AM
Wood Chips Mick Barbecue 13 01-02-2004 08:13 PM