mold on corks???

Old 03-11-2004, 04:56 PM
MOhar871
Usenet poster

Default mold on corks???

anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold growing on the
outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring and there are several
with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we opened some of them and they
are fine inside
Old 03-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Ray Calvert
Usenet poster

"MOhar871" wrote in message
anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold growing on
the
outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring and there are
several
with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we opened some of them and
they
are fine inside

As long as it stays on the outside you are probably OK. Just clean it off
before opening.

The question is, why is it there? It is not normal. Did you spill
something on the bottles after bottling are was something on the corks
before bottling, in which case it may have done something to the wine.

I would not be overly concerned. It may effect the taste but it will not
make you sick. There are no known pathogens that live in wine. But you
might consider not aging the bottles effected over long. Just go ahead and
drink them up if they do not taste bad.

Ray

Old 03-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Robin Somes
Usenet poster

In message , MOhar871
writes
anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold
growing on the outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring
and there are several with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we
opened some of them and they are fine inside

I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
at all.

cheers,
robin
--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
Old 03-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Robin Somes
Usenet poster

In message , MOhar871
writes

Old 04-11-2004, 01:02 AM
Bob
Usenet poster

"Robin Somes" wrote in message
In message , MOhar871
writes
anyone have any clue as to why some of my wine would have mold
growing on the outside of the cork...these were bottled early in spring
and there are several with mold...hmmm, i hope it is safe to drink. we
opened some of them and they are fine inside

I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
at all.

cheers,
robin

I have been told repeatedly that you should always let your fresh-corked
bottles stand up for one day to allow pressure to equalize somewhat. I have
not had any leakers since doing that also, and I've never had mold either.

Old 04-11-2004, 02:39 PM
MOhar871
Usenet poster

i let mine stand for at least 4 or 5 days before putting them on their
sides...still got the mold
Old 04-11-2004, 05:26 PM
pinky
Usenet poster

In 30 years of making and bottling wine the only times I have had mould is
when I have been careless during filling and corking -- i.e there was some
spillage around the top neck of the bottle which I didn't clean..
However it is rare that your bottled wine would be affected -- especially if
you clean and sanitise the outer cork/bottle top --- gently

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England

Old 04-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Rob
Usenet poster

I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
at all.

cheers,
robin

I've had a couple that have shown it on the outside of the cork, and I
agree that it might have a lot to do with a slightly damp atmosphere
(I live near Portland, where the locals are slowly evolving gills :-)
). And since I stored them vertically for a day and didn't see any
leakage, I think that gives even more suggestion that it has to do
with the dampness.

I've seen nothing wrong with the taste from it, but I'm now using
shrink-on capsules to cover the cork, putting them on the day after
corking. I'm hoping this (or possibly a wax capsule) will keep it
from happening.

Rob
Old 07-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Bob
Usenet poster

"MOhar871" wrote in message
i let mine stand for at least 4 or 5 days before putting them on their
sides...still got the mold

I've been told ONE day is all you need. Otherwise, the cork dries and
shrinks, and the wine sneaks out while your back is turned....

Old 07-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Bob
Usenet poster

"MOhar871" wrote in message
i let mine stand for at least 4 or 5 days before putting them on their
sides...still got the mold

I've been told ONE day is all you need. Otherwise, the cork dries and
shrinks, and the wine sneaks out while your back is turned....

Stoneware Cookie Molds Carol Lee Smith Baking 6 18-08-2004 01:18 AM
Corks, corks, corks ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 0 13-08-2004 02:29 PM
Dry Corks Joe Ae Winemaking 18 04-03-2004 04:45 AM
Agglomerated Corks Joe Ae Winemaking 33 26-12-2003 02:10 PM
Using UNUSED corks of uncertain age/backrgound? Deadend Winemaking 6 04-10-2003 11:37 PM