Rob

> I've got a few that have gone like that, too. The bottles are stored in
> a garage outside, so I guess the occasionally damp atmosphere helped.
> But if I remember correctly, they were a few bottles that I corked and
> stored on their sides immediately, rather than letting them stand
> upright for a day or two. So it's possible the pressure inside pushed a
> little of the wine out before it equalised, and it's the residue of the
> wine that's gone mouldy. Anyway, it doesn't seem to have harmed the wine
> at all.
>
> cheers,
> robin

I've had a couple that have shown it on the outside of the cork, and I
agree that it might have a lot to do with a slightly damp atmosphere
(I live near Portland, where the locals are slowly evolving gills :-)
). And since I stored them vertically for a day and didn't see any
leakage, I think that gives even more suggestion that it has to do
with the dampness.

I've seen nothing wrong with the taste from it, but I'm now using
shrink-on capsules to cover the cork, putting them on the day after
corking. I'm hoping this (or possibly a wax capsule) will keep it
from happening.

Rob