Barry

Default Pectin Enzyme + Campden

Can these be added at the same time?

I usually add the Pectin at the same time as I add yeast (12 hours
after Campden). I'm following a receipe that calls for adding
everything all in one bang (Pectin, Campden, Energizer) and then Yeast
after 12 hours.

Is this really OK?
Adam Lang

From what I read, it is ok. The reason some people add yeast a little bit
after the pectin, is so the gasses that pectin give off have a chance to
dissipate a bit before the yeast.

"Barry" > wrote in message
om...
> Can these be added at the same time?
>
> I usually add the Pectin at the same time as I add yeast (12 hours
> after Campden). I'm following a receipe that calls for adding
> everything all in one bang (Pectin, Campden, Energizer) and then Yeast
> after 12 hours.
>
> Is this really OK?

Lum

"Barry" > wrote in message
om...
> Can these be added at the same time?
>
> I usually add the Pectin at the same time as I add yeast (12 hours
> after Campden). I'm following a receipe that calls for adding
> everything all in one bang (Pectin, Campden, Energizer) and then Yeast
> after 12 hours.
>
> Is this really OK?

Barry,

There are several misconceptions in the home winemaking literature and "wait
several hours after adding sulfite before adding yeast" is one of them.

All of the yeast manufacturers recommend adding their yeasts immediately
after adding sulfur dioxide (check their literature or internet sites).
Here's why. Commercial yeast is NOT sensitive to moderate amounts of SO2,
but native yeasts are stunted for several hours by moderate amounts. So, if
commercial yeast is added at the same time as the SO2, the commercial yeast
has several hours to multiply before the native yeast becomes active again.
The large population of commercial yeast then dominates the fermentation
until completion.

Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Greg Cook

On 4/26/04 6:40 PM, in article
, "Lum"
> wrote:

> "Barry" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Can these be added at the same time?
>>
>> I usually add the Pectin at the same time as I add yeast (12 hours
>> after Campden). I'm following a receipe that calls for adding
>> everything all in one bang (Pectin, Campden, Energizer) and then Yeast
>> after 12 hours.
>>
>> Is this really OK?

> Barry,
>
> There are several misconceptions in the home winemaking literature and "wait
> several hours after adding sulfite before adding yeast" is one of them.
>
> All of the yeast manufacturers recommend adding their yeasts immediately
> after adding sulfur dioxide (check their literature or internet sites).
> Here's why. Commercial yeast is NOT sensitive to moderate amounts of SO2,
> but native yeasts are stunted for several hours by moderate amounts. So, if
> commercial yeast is added at the same time as the SO2, the commercial yeast
> has several hours to multiply before the native yeast becomes active again.
> The large population of commercial yeast then dominates the fermentation
> until completion.
>
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

Lum,

Thanks for the information. I thought that was the case as well. The
question was pertaining to Pectic Enzyme, however. Do you have any knowledge
about effects of SO2 on pectic enzyme that you could share? I suspect, since
it is just the enzyme, and not 'alive' it should be fine, but I don't know.

Thanks.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

David C Breeden

Greg Cook ) wrote:
>On 4/26/04 6:40 PM, in article
, "Lum"
> wrote:

>> "Barry" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>> Can these be added at the same time?
>>>
>>> I usually add the Pectin at the same time as I add yeast (12 hours
>>> after Campden). I'm following a receipe that calls for adding
>>> everything all in one bang (Pectin, Campden, Energizer) and then Yeast
>>> after 12 hours.
>>>
>>> Is this really OK?

>> Barry,
>>
>> There are several misconceptions in the home winemaking literature and "wait
>> several hours after adding sulfite before adding yeast" is one of them.
>>
>> All of the yeast manufacturers recommend adding their yeasts immediately
>> after adding sulfur dioxide (check their literature or internet sites).
>> Here's why. Commercial yeast is NOT sensitive to moderate amounts of SO2,
>> but native yeasts are stunted for several hours by moderate amounts. So, if
>> commercial yeast is added at the same time as the SO2, the commercial yeast
>> has several hours to multiply before the native yeast becomes active again.
>> The large population of commercial yeast then dominates the fermentation
>> until completion.
>>
>> Lum
>> Del Mar, California, USA
>>

>Lum,

>Thanks for the information. I thought that was the case as well. The
>question was pertaining to Pectic Enzyme, however. Do you have any knowledge
>about effects of SO2 on pectic enzyme that you could share? I suspect, since
>it is just the enzyme, and not 'alive' it should be fine, but I don't know.

>Thanks.

>--
>Greg Cook
>http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine
>http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/aws

Dunno, but since SO2 is specifically used to de-activate enzymes
(e.g., some of the enzymes responsible for browning), I always try
to add them separately.

SO2 doesn't de-activitate ALL enzymes though, like laccase, but I
figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

I normally add SO2 at crush, and for whites add the enzyme at the
beginning of fermentation, when it's warm again the the enzyme can
do some good. For reds, I wait to add the enzyme to reds until the
second or third day.

Dave
Dave Breeden

Lum

"David C Breeden" > wrote in message
> Greg Cook ) wrote:
> >On 4/26/04 6:40 PM, in article
> , "Lum"
> > wrote:

> >> "Barry" > wrote in message
> >> om...

> >> Barry,
> >>
> >> There are several misconceptions in the home winemaking literature and

"wait
> >> several hours after adding sulfite before adding yeast" is one of them.
> >>
> >> All of the yeast manufacturers recommend adding their yeasts

immediately
> >> after adding sulfur dioxide (check their literature or internet sites).
> >> Here's why. Commercial yeast is NOT sensitive to moderate amounts of

SO2,
> >> but native yeasts are stunted for several hours by moderate amounts.

So, if
> >> commercial yeast is added at the same time as the SO2, the commercial

yeast
> >> has several hours to multiply before the native yeast becomes active

again.
> >> The large population of commercial yeast then dominates the

fermentation
> >> until completion.
> >>
> >> Lum
> >> Del Mar, California, USA
> >>

> >Lum,

> >Thanks for the information. I thought that was the case as well. The
> >question was pertaining to Pectic Enzyme, however. Do you have any

knowledge
> >about effects of SO2 on pectic enzyme that you could share? I suspect,

since
> >it is just the enzyme, and not 'alive' it should be fine, but I don't

know.

> >Thanks.

> >--
> >Greg Cook
> >http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine
> >http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/aws

> Dunno, but since SO2 is specifically used to de-activate enzymes
> (e.g., some of the enzymes responsible for browning), I always try
> to add them separately.
>
> SO2 doesn't de-activitate ALL enzymes though, like laccase, but I
> figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
>
> I normally add SO2 at crush, and for whites add the enzyme at the
> beginning of fermentation, when it's warm again the the enzyme can
> do some good. For reds, I wait to add the enzyme to reds until the
> second or third day.
>
> Dave

Barry,
I pretty much follow the procedures Dave has outlined above. In general, I
try to add materials one at a time because some materials just don't like
each other (like adding SO2 and acid at the same time).
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Andrew L Drumm

"David C Breeden" > wrote in message
> Dunno, but since SO2 is specifically used to de-activate enzymes
> (e.g., some of the enzymes responsible for browning), I always try
> to add them separately.
>
> SO2 doesn't de-activitate ALL enzymes though, like laccase, but I
> figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
>
> I normally add SO2 at crush, and for whites add the enzyme at the
> beginning of fermentation, when it's warm again the the enzyme can
> do some good. For reds, I wait to add the enzyme to reds until the
> second or third day.

Commercially, we tip both in at the crusher. However, we make up separate
buckets of each (enzyme and PMS). As Lum says, it is safest to add any
additive separately, even if they are being added at the same time.

You _can_ add PMS and acid in the same bucket, but I'd rather not be around
when you do...

Cheers,

Andrew