Whole Foods Sushi

Old 15-11-2006, 11:55 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Whole Foods Sushi

Generally, I have not been very complimentary about super-market
sushi but today, since I was hungry and in a hurry, I picked up
a "Rainbow Roll" and some Edamame at the Whole Foods place in
Rockville, MD. The fish *was* "sushi quality" even the parts
with eel and altogether I enjoyed it. The people making the
sushi look of Japanese extraction and my only criticism
concerned the meager quantities of soy sauce and wasabi. I would
argue with their use of uncolored pickled ginger since it looks
unappetizing to me but what can you expect from organic nuts?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old 16-11-2006, 03:35 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:
Generally, I have not been very complimentary about super-market sushi
but today, since I was hungry and in a hurry, I picked up a "Rainbow
Roll" and some Edamame at the Whole Foods place in Rockville, MD. The
fish *was* "sushi quality" even the parts with eel and altogether I
enjoyed it. The people making the sushi look of Japanese extraction and
my only criticism concerned the meager quantities of soy sauce and
wasabi. I would argue with their use of uncolored pickled ginger since
it looks unappetizing to me but what can you expect from organic nuts?

There's a Whole Foods less than 5 minutes from my office, which I occasionally
visit for their sushi. The fish quality is good, but the rice lacks some
flavor. Overall its ok, but it leaves me wanting a real sushi meal.

It must be a WF policy to only put one packet of soy in the package. At least
they leave out a container of packets, along with packets of "Real Wasabi".
I wish I had a good sushi bar close by..

--
Dan
Old 16-11-2006, 09:54 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

wasabi. I would argue with their use of uncolored pickled ginger since
it looks unappetizing to me but what can you expect from organic nuts?

It is a matter of taste of course but I find carcinogenic artificial food
colouring even more unappetizing.

If ginger is first rubbed with salt it will turn pink in overnight, then
pickeld. It is quite easy to make. The hard part is to find young ginger
that's not woody.

Jukka
Old 16-11-2006, 02:26 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Hello, Armadillo!
You wrote on Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:54:33 +0200:

?? wasabi. I would argue with their use of uncolored pickled
?? ginger since it looks unappetizing to me but what can you
?? expect from organic nuts?

A It is a matter of taste of course but I find carcinogenic
A artificial food colouring even more unappetizing.

A If ginger is first rubbed with salt it will turn pink in
A overnight, then pickeld. It is quite easy to make. The hard
A part is to find young ginger that's not woody.

The uncolored stuff at Whole Foods is a dull light brown to my
eye. I am not in the least interested in making my own and do
you you have definite evidence that the usual pink coloring is
carcinogenic?

Old 16-11-2006, 02:52 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

not in the least interested in making my own and do you you have
definite evidence that the usual pink coloring is carcinogenic?

Not about currently used colorings but the stuff used in Japan some time
ago was. But of course all research results are controversial.

Anyway, less artificial stuff used in food like coloring, soduim glutamate
or trans fats the better. Also I believe that less processed food is
healthier.

Jukka
Old 16-11-2006, 03:03 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Hello, Armadillo!
You wrote on Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:52:46 +0200:

?? not in the least interested in making my own and do you
?? have definite evidence that the usual pink coloring
?? is carcinogenic?

A Not about currently used colorings but the stuff used in
A Japan some time ago was. But of course all research results
A are controversial.

A Anyway, less artificial stuff used in food like coloring,
A soduim glutamate or trans fats the better. Also I believe
A that less processed food is healthier.

IMHO, a set of partial truths but I won't continue this
discussion since I don't think we will convince each other.
Glutamate occurs naturally by the way :-)

Old 16-11-2006, 07:57 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:03:42 -0500, "James Silverton"
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote:

Hello, Armadillo!
You wrote on Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:52:46 +0200:

?? not in the least interested in making my own and do you
?? have definite evidence that the usual pink coloring
?? is carcinogenic?

A Not about currently used colorings but the stuff used in
A Japan some time ago was. But of course all research results
A are controversial.

A Anyway, less artificial stuff used in food like coloring,
A soduim glutamate or trans fats the better. Also I believe
A that less processed food is healthier.

IMHO, a set of partial truths but I won't continue this
discussion since I don't think we will convince each other.
Glutamate occurs naturally by the way :-)

This is true as yeast is a great source for this compound.

Old 17-11-2006, 05:49 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:03:42 -0500, "James Silverton"
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote:
IMHO, a set of partial truths but I won't continue this
discussion since I don't think we will convince each other.
Glutamate occurs naturally by the way :-)

Yup, give it up. They are the true believers and will never be
converted or see reason.

Whenever I see one of their posts, I smile and think about how awful
it must be to worry about buying poisoned food everywhere you go.
------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email
Old 17-11-2006, 06:09 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Whenever I see one of their posts, I smile and think about how awful
it must be to worry about buying poisoned food everywhere you go.

I do not worry at all, I just select what I eat.

I cook a lot and like to use for example butter, red meat and sugar. I never use light products, except naturally light ingredients like vegetables. I'm not overweight and actually in pretty good shape for my age (46). However, being this old I thought I should check my cholesterol etc. Doctors verdict was simple "Don't change anything". So I must have done something right.

Jukka
Old 17-11-2006, 06:22 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Hello, Armadillo!
You wrote on Fri, 17 Nov 2006 19:09:13 +0200:

?? Whenever I see one of their posts, I smile and think about
?? how awful it must be to worry about buying poisoned food
?? everywhere you go.

A I do not worry at all, I just select what I eat.

A I cook a lot and like to use for example butter, red meat
A and sugar. I never use light products, except naturally
A light ingredients like vegetables. I'm not overweight and
A actually in pretty good shape for my age (46). However,
A being this old I thought I should check my cholesterol etc.
A Doctors verdict was simple "Don't change anything". So I
A must have done something right.

Right parents, I guess :-) It's in the same league as Uncle Bill
who lived to 103 smoking two packs a day!