Mickey

Default Water bath capacity question

I'm planning on making some Elderberry jam in those little 4 oz jars
as gifts. My concern is my largest pot for the waterbath won't hold
all of them at once. I've never seen any reccomendations for how to
split processing of a batch - I'm sure someone here has done it
though.

--Mickey
The Joneses

Mickey wrote:

> I'm planning on making some Elderberry jam in those little 4 oz jars
> as gifts. My concern is my largest pot for the waterbath won't hold
> all of them at once. I've never seen any reccomendations for how to
> split processing of a batch - I'm sure someone here has done it
> though.

You might be able to set a cake rack on the lower jars and make a second
row. Try to set the jars staggered, not one right atop another. Or -
fill your jars with jam, cap and let'm set on the counter while you
process the others. This will wait for 1/2 hour or so. One doesn't want
the stuff to cool too much as you will need to increase processing
time. You only need 5 minutes processing anyway for them little jars at
up to 1,000 feet altitude.
Edrena

William R. Watt

If your stove has 4 elements you could use 3 for sterilizing in 3 pots and
the 4th for cooking the jam.

However I don't think it's necessary to boil the jars if you are using
vacuum seal ones. People have posted here that it's enough just to clean
them. An automatic dishwahser has been mentioned.

I don't have an automatic dishwasher but I also don't boil jars. I
steam them instead because it uses less electricity. A small amount of
water in a covered pot full of jars, brought to a boil, then heat turned
down to simmer and steam. I start the jars first, then start cooking (in
my case jelly), and when the jelly is ready to pour the jars are ready too.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm