Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Chinese cabbage sauerkraut

I'm going to try eating a cup(ca 70 gms) of shredded Chinese cabbage a day,
for health reasons. Would it make good sauerkraut? A tsp of salt to a kilo
of cabbage? Thanks.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/5/2012 1:52 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> I'm going to try eating a cup(ca 70 gms) of shredded Chinese cabbage a day,
> for health reasons. Would it make good sauerkraut? A tsp of salt to a kilo
> of cabbage? Thanks.

I tried it once years ago Nick, didn't work to well for me, just didn't
have the density that sauerkraut needs. Still, if you have a bumper crop
wouldn't hurt to try.

It's so hot down here, even with air conditioning, I have a problem
getting anything to ferment. It generally gets really moldy and gets
turned into compost. Good luck.

You are aware that that much cabbage a day might cause gastric distress?
Folks may be able to hear it a mile away. <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Nick Cramer wrote:

> I'm going to try eating a cup(ca 70 gms) of shredded Chinese cabbage a day,
> for health reasons.

If you're doing it for health reasons any cabbage family should work.
Like cauliflower?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley > wrote:
> On 6/5/2012 1:52 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> > I'm going to try eating a cup(ca 70 gms) of shredded Chinese cabbage a
> > day, for health reasons. Would it make good sauerkraut? A tsp of salt
> > to a kilo of cabbage? Thanks.
> >

> I tried it once years ago Nick, didn't work to well for me, just didn't
> have the density that sauerkraut needs. Still, if you have a bumper crop
> wouldn't hurt to try.
>
> It's so hot down here, even with air conditioning, I have a problem
> getting anything to ferment. It generally gets really moldy and gets
> turned into compost. Good luck.
>
> You are aware that that much cabbage a day might cause gastric distress?
> Folks may be able to hear it a mile away. <G>

Thanks, George. These days, Jun is just cooking up some pak choi with squid
or crab (so far). Real tasty, but I doubt that I eat a half-cup total.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> >
> > I'm going to try eating a cup(ca 70 gms) of shredded Chinese cabbage a
> > day, for health reasons.

> If you're doing it for health reasons any cabbage family should work.
> Like cauliflower?

Thanks, Doug. I'm looking at essential amino acid content.

I don't really care for cauliflower, but I sure like Brussels sprouts!

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 6/6/2012 11:37 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
> Doug > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to try eating a cup(ca 70 gms) of shredded Chinese cabbage a
>>> day, for health reasons.

>> If you're doing it for health reasons any cabbage family should work.
>> Like cauliflower?

> Thanks, Doug. I'm looking at essential amino acid content.
>
> I don't really care for cauliflower, but I sure like Brussels sprouts!

Taste buds are strange things, I like pickled or raw cauliflower but not
cooked, tastes nasty to me. I like cooked broccoli or raw, don't like
Brussels sprouts at all. Like cabbage, lightly steamed, with a little
butter and black pepper. Will even eat it in slaw with gusto.

Love sauerkraut, just plain, even better on a hot dog. Go figure.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> If you're doing it for health reasons any cabbage family should work.
>> Like cauliflower?

> Thanks, Doug. I'm looking at essential amino acid content.
>
> I don't really care for cauliflower, but I sure like Brussels sprouts!

Uber sprouts

Sautee a little diced onion. Add a couple cloves of garlic and an equal
volume of ginger. When tender cut sprouts in half and add to the pan.
May need a bit of olive oil. Sautee until the sprouts have plenty of
visible browning but no black.

It has the advantage that both garlic and ginger are considered super
foods. No idea if it helps for the amino acid you are targetting.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> >
> >> If you're doing it for health reasons any cabbage family should work.
> >> Like cauliflower?

> > Thanks, Doug. I'm looking at essential amino acid content.
> >
> > I don't really care for cauliflower, but I sure like Brussels sprouts!

> Uber sprouts
>
> Sautee a little diced onion. Add a couple cloves of garlic and an equal
> volume of ginger. When tender cut sprouts in half and add to the pan.
> May need a bit of olive oil. Sautee until the sprouts have plenty of
> visible browning but no black.
>
> It has the advantage that both garlic and ginger are considered super
> foods. No idea if it helps for the amino acid you are targetting.

Mmmmm! Sauteed onion and garlic and cooking the sprouts as you describe.
Will have to try adding ginger or galangal. Funny, I mostly cook with olive
oil, but prefer butter for sprouts (and French toast).

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> Uber sprouts

>> Sautee a little diced onion. Add a couple cloves of garlic and an equal
>> volume of ginger. When tender cut sprouts in half and add to the pan.
>> May need a bit of olive oil. Sautee until the sprouts have plenty of
>> visible browning but no black.

> Mmmmm! Sauteed onion and garlic and cooking the sprouts as you describe.

Sprouts are bitter. Frying draws out the bitter but leaves in some
flavors that steaming loses.

> Will have to try adding ginger or galangal.

My first exposure ever to galangal was at a Pensy's this weekend. I
liked it.

> Funny, I mostly cook with olive
> oil, but prefer butter for sprouts (and French toast).

French toast with sprouts. Who'd'a thunk. ;^)
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Doug Freyburger > wrote:
> >
> >> Uber sprouts

> >> Sautee a little diced onion. Add a couple cloves of garlic and an
> >> equal volume of ginger. When tender cut sprouts in half and add to
> >> the pan. May need a bit of olive oil. Sautee until the sprouts have
> >> plenty of visible browning but no black.

> > Mmmmm! Sauteed onion and garlic and cooking the sprouts as you
> > describe.

> Sprouts are bitter. Frying draws out the bitter but leaves in some
> flavors that steaming loses.
>
> > Will have to try adding ginger or galangal.

> My first exposure ever to galangal was at a Pensy's this weekend. I
> liked it.

Galangal is used a lot in Thai food.

> > Funny, I mostly cook with olive
> > oil, but prefer butter for sprouts (and French toast).

> French toast with sprouts. Who'd'a thunk. ;^)

My poor phrasing deserved that!