Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pacific Pectin

I just visited that site and it does indeed have a lot of infor. Anyone
want to split 10 lbs of pectin mix? Just kidding of course.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
>I just visited that site and it does indeed have a lot of infor. Anyone
>want to split 10 lbs of pectin mix? Just kidding of course.

Seriously, $63 sounds like a pretty good deal for 10 pounds of it. Makes it
around 39 cents an ounce. Those little boxes are what, 1.75 oz.? I think
I might be able to round up a bunch of friends and split the cost. I was
worried about shipping but it told me shipping was FREE. I can't imagine
wanting 10 pounds of it myself as it's probably not something that will keep
for years.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> >I just visited that site and it does indeed have a lot of infor. Anyone
> >want to split 10 lbs of pectin mix? Just kidding of course.

> Seriously, $63 sounds like a pretty good deal for 10 pounds of it. Makes it
> around 39 cents an ounce. Those little boxes are what, 1.75 oz.? I think
> I might be able to round up a bunch of friends and split the cost. I was
> worried about shipping but it told me shipping was FREE. I can't imagine
> wanting 10 pounds of it myself as it's probably not something that will keep
> for years.

The place I buy from has powdered pectin (regular) for $4.10/lb. And
they sell it in about 3/4-lb. bags. That's 45 cents for the equivalent
amount of a box of Sure€Jell or Ball pectin. Works great, too.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.preserving
ST ST is offline

>>I just visited that site and it does indeed have a lot of infor. Anyone
>>want to split 10 lbs of pectin mix? Just kidding of course.

>Seriously, $63 sounds like a pretty good deal for 10 pounds of it. Makes it
>around 39 cents an ounce. Those little boxes are what, 1.75 oz.? I think
>I might be able to round up a bunch of friends and split the cost. I was
>worried about shipping but it told me shipping was FREE. I can't imagine
>wanting 10 pounds of it myself as it's probably not something that will keep
>for years.

I think I just saw them (who sell it) saying that two YO pectin is pushing your
luck, and that they get it from orange peels. --shrug-- . I guess for them that's
a better source than little green apples.
-
About free shipping. I wouldn't be surprised either way if ten pounds if the stuff
did or didn't fit into one of those USPS prepaid mailers.
SDT
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/11/2010 8:39 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> I just visited that site and it does indeed have a lot of infor. Anyone
> want to split 10 lbs of pectin mix? Just kidding of course.

Let's see, 10 lbs equals 160 ounces, divided by 1.75 ounces, equals
91.43 1.75 oz boxes of pectin. How many jammers post here? And how much
pectin does each of us use in a year? Multiply that figure times the
number of small USPS priority mail boxes and their cost.

Whoa! It's to late at night for math, even simple math. I'm going to bed.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
ST > wrote:

> I think I just saw them (who sell it) saying that two YO pectin is
> pushing your luck, and that they get it from orange peels. --shrug--
> . I guess for them that's a better source than little green apples.

Is citrus-base pectin inferior? <shrug> A few years ago I asked the
folks at Ball which kind they use for their pectin packets and was told
it depends on the market - could be either.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Marilyn" > wrote:
>
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> >I just visited that site and it does indeed have a lot of infor. Anyone
>> >want to split 10 lbs of pectin mix? Just kidding of course.

>> Seriously, $63 sounds like a pretty good deal for 10 pounds of it. Makes
>> it
>> around 39 cents an ounce. Those little boxes are what, 1.75 oz.? I
>> think
>> I might be able to round up a bunch of friends and split the cost. I was
>> worried about shipping but it told me shipping was FREE. I can't imagine
>> wanting 10 pounds of it myself as it's probably not something that will
>> keep
>> for years.

> The place I buy from has powdered pectin (regular) for $4.10/lb. And
> they sell it in about 3/4-lb. bags. That's 45 cents for the equivalent
> amount of a box of Sure?Jell or Ball pectin. Works great, too.

Where are you buying it from, Barb? Somewhere local or online? If I could
find it in that size bag, I'd be happy.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> Seriously, $63 sounds like a pretty good deal for 10 pounds of it. Makes
> >> it
> >> around 39 cents an ounce. Those little boxes are what, 1.75 oz.? I
> >> think
> >> I might be able to round up a bunch of friends and split the cost. I was
> >> worried about shipping but it told me shipping was FREE. I can't imagine
> >> wanting 10 pounds of it myself as it's probably not something that will
> >> keep
> >> for years.

> > The place I buy from has powdered pectin (regular) for $4.10/lb. And
> > they sell it in about 3/4-lb. bags. That's 45 cents for the equivalent
> > amount of a box of Sure?Jell or Ball pectin. Works great, too.
> >

> Where are you buying it from, Barb? Somewhere local or online? If I could
> find it in that size bag, I'd be happy.

U-Bake. I believe they're based in Wisconsin. I have a store about 4-5
miles from me. Look 'em up. I don't think they ship, though, but it's
worth a look-see.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Marilyn" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>> > The place I buy from has powdered pectin (regular) for $4.10/lb. And
>> > they sell it in about 3/4-lb. bags. That's 45 cents for the
>> > equivalent
>> > amount of a box of Sure?Jell or Ball pectin. Works great, too.
>> >

>> Where are you buying it from, Barb? Somewhere local or online? If I
>> could
>> find it in that size bag, I'd be happy.

> U-Bake. I believe they're based in Wisconsin. I have a store about 4-5
> miles from me. Look 'em up. I don't think they ship, though, but it's
> worth a look-see.

Darn, they're only located in the midwest.

--
-Marilyn

Pacific Dining Car Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] General Cooking 17 12-11-2009 10:54 PM
Pacific NW natives- Brian Barbecue 24 05-04-2009 05:28 AM
TN: Pacific Rim Riesling DaleW Wine 0 10-02-2009 02:47 PM
Pacific Northwest BBQ JD Barbecue 14 03-05-2006 09:34 PM
Pacific Gumbo Duckie ® Recipes 0 11-07-2005 05:57 PM