Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Pacific Rim Riesling

Since Betsy will be away this weekend, we decided to have an early
Valentine's Day last night. She likes to go to movies (I'd typically
rather spend money on wine), so I planned a dinner and movie evening
in White Plains. I let her choose movie, and then went to make
reservations at a nearby restaurant (Blue). Oops, Sunday night it
showed completely free on OpenTable, now no availability. It seems
Sunday night they decided to close Mondays for foreseeable future. A
quick scan of Chowhound led me to a reservation at Soma 107. Fusion
food (we shared charred baby octopus, then she had scallops with
parsnips and I had grilled tofu with soba- sauces on main courses
pushed sweetness edge). I planned on a couple glasses, but list btg
started out at $9 with nothing I wanted to drink, so I went for one of
the least expensive bottles ($30).

This used to be a Bonny Doon brand, but I think Randall sold label- am
I right? I used to think this dependable if not exciting. The 2006
Pacific Rim Dry Riesling was nowhere near dry for my palate, off-dry
sweetness and fairly low in acidity. Tastes a bit like a flat
Fresca™ , once it nestled deep in ice bucket for a while it was
palatable at very cold temps. Citrus and a little herb. Not very long,
but cold it showed more acidity and at least was sippable. Still, we
left half a bottle. C+

I enjoyed "Slumdog Millionaire" (and being with Betsy) more than the
meal or the wine.

*

Pacific Pectin George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 8 13-08-2010 06:18 PM
Pacific Dining Car Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] General Cooking 17 12-11-2009 10:54 PM
Pacific NW natives- Brian Barbecue 24 05-04-2009 05:28 AM
Pacific Northwest BBQ JD Barbecue 14 03-05-2006 09:34 PM
Pacific Gumbo Duckie ® Recipes 0 11-07-2005 05:57 PM