Steve

Default Melting Freezer -how to cope with a Hurricane

Hi,

I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...

Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
say a week.

The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
enough?

Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
steak parties.

Thanks,
Steve
Craig Watts

> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
>steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Damn Steve, where are you? I'm in North Carolina and worrying just the
same. My only safety blanket is both my neighbors have a generater
andt only takes an hour or two per day to keep it.

Good Luck

Craig
Craig Watts

> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
>steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Damn Steve, where are you? I'm in North Carolina and worrying just the
same. My only safety blanket is both my neighbors have a generater
andt only takes an hour or two per day to keep it.

Good Luck

Craig
Dwayne

During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator for
both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

Dwayne

"Steve" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
> say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
> I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
> thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
> them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
> enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
> steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Dwayne

During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator for
both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

Dwayne

"Steve" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
> say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
> I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
> thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
> them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
> enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
> steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Dwayne

During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator for
both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

Dwayne

"Steve" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
> say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
> I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
> thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
> them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
> enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
> steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(Steve) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power
> for say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
> I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer.
> Once they thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last?
> Can I then cook them, put them back on ice and refreeze if
> the power comes back soon enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
> steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

I'll get the beads out and go twice around for you, Craig, and my friend
Bonnie that you'll not be destroyed. Ugh.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/tips/summer/power_outages.html
http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/...ion/BJ656.html
http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/...ion/BJ659.html

And I grabbed this from
http://www.extension.umn.edu/newslet...3-2001FSNL.htm

C. When the Home Freezer Stops

Have you checked your home freezer lately? When many home freezers are
located in low-traffic areas, it is important to check it frequently to
make sure it is running. This reduces the chances of discarding thawed
and spoiled food. Here are some tips to care for frozen food when the
freezer stops functioning.

If you suspect the power will be off, set the freezer temperature
control to 10 degrees to *20 degrees F. immediately. The colder the
freezer, the longer the food will stay frozen.

When a power outage occurs, keep the freezer closed as much as possible.
A full freezer will stay cold about two to four days. A half-full
freezer will stay cold about 24 hours. Cover the freezer with heavy
blankets for added insulation.

If you know the power will be off for a long period of time, use dry ice
to help keep food frozen. For a full 20 cubic foot freezer, 50 pounds of
dry ice will keep food frozen three to four days. For a half full 10
cubic freezer, 25 pounds of dry ice will keep food frozen two or three
days. Be careful when handling dry ice. Use heavy gloves and place the
dry ice on cardboard on top of the food in the freezer. If dry ice is
not available, try to move the food to a locker plant.

What if the food thaws? Here are some tips to check the food for safety
and if it can be refrozen.

Meat and poultry: If the food is 40 degrees F. or below and if color and
odor are good, it can be refrozen. Discard if off-odor or off-color are
present. If the meat is thawed but still cold, cook it and consume or
freeze.

Vegetables: If ice crystals are present, or it the food temperature is
40 degrees F or below, refreeze.

Fruits: If there are no signs of spoilage, refreeze. Thawed fruits,
previously frozen with sugar, survive with minimal damage to quality.
They can be used in cooking and in making jams and jellies.

Fish and Shellfish: If ice crystals are present, or if the food
temperature is 40 degrees or below, refreeze. If the fish or shellfish
is completely thawed or questionable, discard.

*

Cooked foods (i.e. casseroles): If ice crystals are present, or if the
food temperature is 40 degrees F or below, refreeze. If still cold,
these foods can be cooked and used immediately.

Ice Cream: If partially thawed, discard. The texture becomes
unacceptable.

Breads and baked good, nuts, flour, cereal: These are safe to refreeze.
Be sure to inspect for contamination from meat drippings. If present,
discard.

Always re-label and date refrozen food. Clean the freezer before
refilling. Refreeze food as quickly as possible. Set the temperature
control to the coldest setting. Place the warmer packages against the
freezer walls. Add aluminum foil spacers between packages to increase
cold temperature transfer. If necessary, call a local locker plant to
help in refreezing food. Use refrozen food as soon as possible.

*

Source: So Easy to Preserve, 4th Edition, When the Home Freezer Stops,
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/foodsafety/...r/Food0201.pdf
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(Steve) wrote:

> [...]

these foods can be cooked and used immediately.

Ice Cream: If partially thawed, discard. The texture becomes
unacceptable.

Breads and baked good, nuts, flour, cereal: These are safe to refreeze.
Be sure to inspect for contamination from meat drippings. If present,
discard.

Always re-label and date refrozen food. Clean the freezer before
refilling. Refreeze food as quickly as possible. Set the temperature
control to the coldest setting. Place the warmer packages against the
freezer walls. Add aluminum foil spacers between packages to increase
cold temperature transfer. If necessary, call a local locker plant to
help in refreezing food. Use refrozen food as soon as possible.

*

Source: So Easy to Preserve, 4th Edition, When the Home Freezer Stops,

George Shirley

Been there, done that. Only way to handle the meat after it thaws is to
cook it, eat it, or refreeze it after cooking. I wouldn't wait too
terribly long after it thaws either. Alternatively, if you can get some
dry ice you can probably hold it frozen longer in a well sealed ice chest.

Others have already suggested a small generator but I wouldn't wait
until the hurricane hits to buy one, they tend to sell out quick then.
We saved a 15 cubic foot freezer full of meat during the ice storm of
January 1997 by hooking up to a generator. Could probably have put it on
a table in the carport as it was only 24F outside for a couple of days.
Unfortunately it took seven days to get power back. Good luck to all of
you in the paths of Bonnie and Charles.

George, living in hurricane alley on the LA Gulf Coast.

Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
> say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
> I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
> thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
> them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
> enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
> steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

George Shirley

Steve wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
> say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
> I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
> thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
> them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
> enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
> steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:48:15 GMT, "Dwayne" > wrote:

>During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator for
>both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

Ok, answer this Southerner a question: If it's an ice storm, couldn't
you just move the frozen stuff outside as long as the temperatures
stay below freezing?

Penelope

Penelope Periwinkle

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:48:15 GMT, "Dwayne" > wrote:

>During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator for
>both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

Ok, answer this Southerner a question: If it's an ice storm, couldn't
you just move the frozen stuff outside as long as the temperatures
stay below freezing?

Penelope
zxcvbob

Penelope Periwinkle wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:48:15 GMT, "Dwayne" > wrote:
>

>>During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator for
>>both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

> Ok, answer this Southerner a question: If it's an ice storm, couldn't
> you just move the frozen stuff outside as long as the temperatures
> stay below freezing?
>

> Penelope

Yes, if you can keep the racoons and cats out of it, and assuming it's
cold enough outside. A lot of ice storms happen at about 30 degrees,
then it may warm up a little.

I've bought frozen turkeys on sale after Christmas and carried them
around in the back of my truck in a cardboard box for a couple of months
while I made room in the freezers.

Bob
K. Reece

"Steve" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
> say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
> I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
> thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
> them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
> enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
> steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

They sell ice chests now that will keep ice for a full 5 days in 90 degree
weather. I'd invest in a couple of those. I've seen them at Wal-Mart.

A woman on one of the email lists I belong to said they took one camping.
She said she put a bag of ice in the bottom of the cooler and when they got
back from the camping trip she took that bag of ice out and put it in the
freezer.

Kathy

K. Reece

"Steve" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
> say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
> I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
> thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
> them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
> enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
> steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

They sell ice chests now that will keep ice for a full 5 days in 90 degree
weather. I'd invest in a couple of those. I've seen them at Wal-Mart.

A woman on one of the email lists I belong to said they took one camping.
She said she put a bag of ice in the bottom of the cooler and when they got
back from the camping trip she took that bag of ice out and put it in the
freezer.

Kathy

Gary S.

On 11 Aug 2004 23:02:05 -0700, (Steve) wrote:

> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
>say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
>I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
>thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
>them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
>enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
>steak parties.

Another option not mentioned is dry ice.

In a well-insulated container, it will keep food frozen solid for 3-4
days easy. My college outing club used an old freezer (no power at
cabin) to keep frozen foods through long weekends, and we still had
dry ice at the end.

In a chest-type freezer (i.e. top opening), where you open a minimum
of times, and started with a full freezer of frozen stuff, you could
get closer to a week.

As with water ice, a solid block lasts longest, and the smaller pieces
the least time.

However, there are not that many distributors of dry ice outside large
metro areas, and lots more people than I know about dry ice. It could
save a restaurant or retailer a huge amount of money.

Make sure you handle dry ice with care, you can get instant deep
frostbite "burns" with direct contact.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Gary S.

On 11 Aug 2004 23:02:05 -0700, (Steve) wrote:

> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
>say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
>I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
>thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
>them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
>enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
>steak parties.

Another option not mentioned is dry ice.

In a well-insulated container, it will keep food frozen solid for 3-4
days easy. My college outing club used an old freezer (no power at
cabin) to keep frozen foods through long weekends, and we still had
dry ice at the end.

In a chest-type freezer (i.e. top opening), where you open a minimum
of times, and started with a full freezer of frozen stuff, you could
get closer to a week.

As with water ice, a solid block lasts longest, and the smaller pieces
the least time.

However, there are not that many distributors of dry ice outside large
metro areas, and lots more people than I know about dry ice. It could
save a restaurant or retailer a huge amount of money.

Make sure you handle dry ice with care, you can get instant deep
frostbite "burns" with direct contact.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Michael

"Penelope Periwinkle" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:48:15 GMT, "Dwayne" > wrote:
>
> >During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator

for
> >both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

> Ok, answer this Southerner a question: If it's an ice storm, couldn't
> you just move the frozen stuff outside as long as the temperatures
> stay below freezing?

Native Tarheel here at your service. Foe ice storms that would work but
usually with ice storms the weather gets warm fairly quickly. Hurricanes
are what really knocks out the power for a long time. When Hugo came
through in September '89 we lost power for two WEEKS. Did have one great
block party with all the defrosting food though.

Michael

"Penelope Periwinkle" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:48:15 GMT, "Dwayne" > wrote:
>
> >During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator

for
> >both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

> Ok, answer this Southerner a question: If it's an ice storm, couldn't
> you just move the frozen stuff outside as long as the temperatures
> stay below freezing?

Native Tarheel here at your service. Foe ice storms that would work but
usually with ice storms the weather gets warm fairly quickly. Hurricanes
are what really knocks out the power for a long time. When Hugo came
through in September '89 we lost power for two WEEKS. Did have one great
block party with all the defrosting food though.

Michael

"Penelope Periwinkle" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:48:15 GMT, "Dwayne" > wrote:
>
> >During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator

for
> >both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

> Ok, answer this Southerner a question: If it's an ice storm, couldn't
> you just move the frozen stuff outside as long as the temperatures
> stay below freezing?

Native Tarheel here at your service. Foe ice storms that would work but
usually with ice storms the weather gets warm fairly quickly. Hurricanes
are what really knocks out the power for a long time. When Hugo came
through in September '89 we lost power for two WEEKS. Did have one great
block party with all the defrosting food though.

Kathi

Penelope Periwinkle > wrote in message >. ..
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:48:15 GMT, "Dwayne" > wrote:
>
> >During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator for
> >both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

> Ok, answer this Southerner a question: If it's an ice storm, couldn't
> you just move the frozen stuff outside as long as the temperatures
> stay below freezing?
>

> Penelope

and that's a really good question! However, the temp didn't stay
below freezing - it just hovered there. + 1C one minute, -1C the
next. So we had rain one minute and freezing rain the next. We did
end up moving all our freezer stuff out to the porch (it's screened in
- no coons to worry about in the 'winter'), but it just kept stuff
cold. It was never cold enough to keep stuff frozen. Milk, butter,
etc (frige stuff) did fine at that temp. The stuff from the freezer
eventually thawed (3 days?) and we had to cook it, and eat it.
Eventually we got a genny but at that point it was too late to save
anything but the flooding basement....

Kathi

Kathi

Penelope Periwinkle > wrote in message >. ..
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:48:15 GMT, "Dwayne" > wrote:
>
> >During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator for
> >both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

> Ok, answer this Southerner a question: If it's an ice storm, couldn't
> you just move the frozen stuff outside as long as the temperatures
> stay below freezing?
>

> Penelope

and that's a really good question! However, the temp didn't stay
below freezing - it just hovered there. + 1C one minute, -1C the
next. So we had rain one minute and freezing rain the next. We did
end up moving all our freezer stuff out to the porch (it's screened in
- no coons to worry about in the 'winter'), but it just kept stuff
cold. It was never cold enough to keep stuff frozen. Milk, butter,
etc (frige stuff) did fine at that temp. The stuff from the freezer
eventually thawed (3 days?) and we had to cook it, and eat it.
Eventually we got a genny but at that point it was too late to save
anything but the flooding basement....

Kathi
Kathi

Penelope Periwinkle > wrote in message >. ..
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:48:15 GMT, "Dwayne" > wrote:
>
> >During the ice storm of 2000 in Arkansas, we used our camper generator for
> >both the freezer and frig. We picked it up at Sams.

> Ok, answer this Southerner a question: If it's an ice storm, couldn't
> you just move the frozen stuff outside as long as the temperatures
> stay below freezing?
>

> Penelope

and that's a really good question! However, the temp didn't stay
below freezing - it just hovered there. + 1C one minute, -1C the
next. So we had rain one minute and freezing rain the next. We did
end up moving all our freezer stuff out to the porch (it's screened in
- no coons to worry about in the 'winter'), but it just kept stuff
cold. It was never cold enough to keep stuff frozen. Milk, butter,
etc (frige stuff) did fine at that temp. The stuff from the freezer
eventually thawed (3 days?) and we had to cook it, and eat it.
Eventually we got a genny but at that point it was too late to save
anything but the flooding basement....

Kathi
KenCo

Gary S. wrote:

> Another option not mentioned is dry ice.

FYI/FWIW
be careful w/ dry ice as the vapor can kill
inside a closed home, make sure windows are
open for fresh air to come in.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-831-5739 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

KenCo

Gary S. wrote:

> Another option not mentioned is dry ice.

FYI/FWIW
be careful w/ dry ice as the vapor can kill
inside a closed home, make sure windows are
open for fresh air to come in.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-831-5739 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
KenCo

Gary S. wrote:

> Another option not mentioned is dry ice.

FYI/FWIW
be careful w/ dry ice as the vapor can kill
inside a closed home, make sure windows are
open for fresh air to come in.

--
http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-831-5739 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced
nutNhoney

Steve wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope it takes a turn and we're not hit...
>
> Any advice on salvaging whats in the freezer with no power for
> say a week.
>
> The power has been off for a few and the freezer is melting.
> I've got several steaks and 4 london broils in the freezer. Once they
> thaw, if I keep them on ice how long can they last? Can I then cook
> them, put them back on ice and refreeze if the power comes back soon
> enough?
>
> Maybe it will be time to have the steak party to end all
> steak parties.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Steve, is there any way you could get some dry ice? If so, that should
keep your steaks frozen.
Gary S.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 03:02:13 -0400, KenCo > wrote:

>Gary S. wrote:
>>
>> Another option not mentioned is dry ice.
>>

>FYI/FWIW
>be careful w/ dry ice as the vapor can kill
>inside a closed home, make sure windows are
>open for fresh air to come in.

Good point.

Our use was at a cabin without complete sealing, and the cooler I
mentioned was out in the woodshed. We used gas lights and a fireplace,
and ventilation was not an issue.

Usually, though, carbon DIoxide, the vapor from dry ice, in high
concentrations causes people to react, unlike carbon MONoxide, which
is indetectible by human senses. Best to be careful and vent well, and
not depend on people's reactions.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA