Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default canning Danish Rødkål

I have a Danish recipe for Rødkål -- a sweet and sour red cabbage --
that I'd like to can. Can anyone tell me if I need to pressure can
this or if it could be done in a hot water bath? Here's the recipe.
Thanks!

1 kg red cabbage
2 apples
25 gm butter
50 - 100 ml vinegar
250 gm sugar
2 tsp. salt

Shred the cabbage finely, mix with grated apples and combine in pot
with melted butter and vinegar. Boil about 1 hour, add sugar and boil
another hour.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

dolkar wrote:
> I have a Danish recipe for Rødkål -- a sweet and sour red cabbage --
> that I'd like to can. Can anyone tell me if I need to pressure can
> this or if it could be done in a hot water bath? Here's the recipe.
> Thanks!
>
> 1 kg red cabbage
> 2 apples
> 25 gm butter
> 50 - 100 ml vinegar
> 250 gm sugar
> 2 tsp. salt
>
> Shred the cabbage finely, mix with grated apples and combine in pot
> with melted butter and vinegar. Boil about 1 hour, add sugar and boil
> another hour.

It doesn't sound like a lot of acid for the amount of cabbage. If you
can't find a sinmilar tested recipe, try asking at the USDA U of Georgia
site. I have always gotten prompt and helpful answers. This is such a
cooked dish that I probably wouldn't suffer if you freeze it. With a
microwave, that shouldn't be much less convenient than opening a jar.
Let us know.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Oct 9, 7:46 am, ellen wickberg > wrote:
> dolkar wrote:
> > I have a Danish recipe for Rødkål -- a sweet and sour red cabbage --
> > that I'd like to can. Can anyone tell me if I need to pressure can
> > this or if it could be done in a hot water bath? Here's the recipe.
> > Thanks!

> > 1 kg red cabbage
> > 2 apples
> > 25 gm butter
> > 50 - 100 ml vinegar
> > 250 gm sugar
> > 2 tsp. salt

> > Shred the cabbage finely, mix with grated apples and combine in pot
> > with melted butter and vinegar. Boil about 1 hour, add sugar and boil
> > another hour.

> It doesn't sound like a lot of acid for the amount of cabbage. If you
> can't find a sinmilar tested recipe, try asking at the USDA U of Georgia
> site. I have always gotten prompt and helpful answers. This is such a
> cooked dish that I probably wouldn't suffer if you freeze it. With a
> microwave, that shouldn't be much less convenient than opening a jar.
> Let us know.
> Ellen- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Ellen. I've been trying to find somewhere to post this
question. I have submitted the question to the U of Georgia site and
will let you know what they say. I suspect that the amount of acid is
too low for a BWB but I'd be happy to save myself the trouble of
pressure canning if I can! The recipe is awesome, by the way. It's
been a family favourite for years.
Janet

Danish pastries [email protected] General Cooking 24 27-03-2010 01:36 PM
Tender Danish.... HOW???? Jim Light Baking 2 12-09-2006 09:23 PM
danish recipe foodie General Cooking 17 12-04-2006 06:44 AM
Danish Potatoes .Gladys Dinletir. Recipes (moderated) 0 03-12-2004 04:28 PM
Danish Specialities Curly Sue General Cooking 6 04-10-2003 11:16 PM