Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Lime shells or leftover squeezed part

hello
I have a large amount of lime shells, the part that left after you squeeze
the juice out of the lime.

what can I make out of them. any ideas in the canning and preserving world.

thanks

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"mobile" > wrote in message
t...
> hello
> I have a large amount of lime shells, the part that left after you squeeze
> the juice out of the lime.
>
> what can I make out of them. any ideas in the canning and preserving
> world.
>
> thanks

I once made preserved limes: one mixes about 5 or 6 lime shells (quartered)
with about a the same number of tablespoons of salt, and one more for the
jar, fill with lime juice.
Tasted pretty good after a month, using just the peel for cooking, but the
color faded out. Wonderful smell, might have made superior bath salt? Wished
I had thought of that then. The lemon was prettier.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

mobile wrote:
> hello
> I have a large amount of lime shells, the part that left after you squeeze
> the juice out of the lime.
>
> what can I make out of them. any ideas in the canning and preserving world.

Look for limoncello recipes and use lime peel instead of lemon.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 4-Sep-2007, "mobile" > wrote:
>
>> hello
>> I have a large amount of lime shells, the part that left after you
>> squeeze
>>
>> the juice out of the lime.
>>
>> what can I make out of them. any ideas in the canning and preserving
>> world.
>>
>> thanks

> Candied Lime Peel recipe:
> 2 limes
> 1/2 cup granulated sugar
> 1 1/2 cups water
> Squeeze juice from limes and save in refrigerator for later use. Slice
> lime
> peels thin. In a heavy saucepan on high heat, boil sugar and water for 3
> minutes.
> Add lime peels. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour, or until skin
> is softened.
> Cool on a wire rack set over a cookie sheet. Dry on the rack for 12 hours.
> Refrigerate in a covered container.
>
> Use as garnish for cream or custard pies, Jello, cheesecakes, Margaritas,
> etc.

Oooh! Thanks, looks good.
Edrena