Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Mangos & Plans (long)

Hereyago George. I'm planning on using the peach recipe from SureJel. The
traditional boil-down methods seem to take much less sugar than peaches, so
this is experiment time for me. I'll report back later tonight after they
cool. Altho they may take a week or two to gel up, I'll get back to us if
anything changes. We're making just the straight jam, no other flavors
(except lemon juice) at this time. The innernet only had a few recipes and
none from anybody I know. Witch me luck, friends!
Edrena, adventuring....
From: http://www.mango.co.za/cooking.htm (Which also has cultivation, etc.
info [We peel them so: cut down to the pit 4 or 6 times. Grab a bit of
peel and peel off, scrape/pop out section, kinda like a cling stone fruit.
Pit trimming is cook's treat. Alton Brown on foodtv.com has another
traditional way to peel and pit. E.]

Mangoes are ready to eat if the flesh gives way slightly when you squeeze
them gently. If you're looking for ripe mangoes in your supermarket or
greengrocer, ask the assistant for some help because mangoes are highly
perishable and don't survive endless prodding and poking on retailer's
shelves. Another good way to tell is to smell the stem end: If it gives off
a fruity aroma, you're ready for a real treat.

But when is a mango ripe and ready to eat??

Mangoes vary from green to yellow to purplish-red, so colour is not an
indicator of whether a mango is ripe. The only way to tell, is to squeeze it
gently. If the flesh gives way slightly, smell the stem end. If you're
rewarded with that distinctive mango aroma, the fruit is just waiting to be
eaten. This is the best mango to buy if you want to snack on one
immediately. If, however, you want to keep a couple at home for the kids,
buy mangoes with firmer flesh. They'll ripen if you place them next to fruit
that's already ripe e.g.. bananas. Once ripe, place your mangoes in the
fridge. They are delicious when eaten cold, and by putting them in the
fridge you will extend their shelf life. Once you remove them from the
fridge, you will need to consume them that same day as they deteriorate
fast.

From: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mango.html

.... Ripening fruit turns the characteristic color of the variety and begins
to soften to the touch, much like a peach. Commercial marketability requires
13% dissolved solids (sugars). ... Do not store below 50E° F.The fruit
ripens best if placed stem end down in trays at room temperature and covered
with a dampened cloth to avoid shriveling. Mangos ripen in June from January
bloom in interior California, and October from April bloom on the coast.
Less time is required to mature greenhouse fruit.

And thanks to: http://www.floridagardener.com/misc/floridamango.htm

Mangos are an excellent source of vitamin A, which promotes eye and skin
health, and vitamin C, which boosts the immune system. Both vitamin A and
vitamin C are antioxidants and may help reduce the risk of cardiovascular
disease and certain cancers. Mangos are free of sodium and saturated fat and
rich in potassium and fiber. A serving (half a mango) contains just 70
calories.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Mango Jam

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
t...
> Hereyago George. I'm planning on using the peach recipe from SureJel. The
> traditional boil-down methods seem to take much less sugar than peaches,
> so this is experiment time for me. I'll report back later tonight after
> they cool. Altho they may take a week or two to gel up, I'll get back to
> us if anything changes. We're making just the straight jam, no other
> flavors (except lemon juice) at this time. The innernet only had a few
> recipes and none from anybody I know. Witch me luck, friends!
> Edrena, adventuring....

We used very ripe mangos and the above recipe.
They set up very nicely in the jar, have a bit of separation. (The half inch
of plain jelly at the bottom is a lovely straw yellow curiously enough.)
When I stirred it all up to redistribute, it broke the gel and became a soft
spread indeed. Not quite syrup, tho. Refrigeration did not make it stiffen
up much. Beautiful color, like peach. It is delicioso! Very mango-ey. Nice
subtle perfume and will blend well with other stuff, but lose something if
overpowered. Not very tart, and I think using more lemon juice or citric
acid would be in order. Might help the gel too, who knows. We chopped the
fruit, and did not use a food processor. I like fruit bits. Mango can be a
bit stringy, but I think it adds to the charm. The other market lady's mango
jam is so pureed, it has no soul.
Edrena, eatin' good on our birthday and hope you celebrated well, too,
Mother Superior. Fiftytooth!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
"The Joneses" > wrote:

> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
> t...
> > Hereyago George. I'm planning on using the peach recipe from SureJel. The
> > traditional boil-down methods seem to take much less sugar than peaches,
> > so this is experiment time for me. I'll report back later tonight after
> > they cool. Altho they may take a week or two to gel up, I'll get back to
> > us if anything changes. We're making just the straight jam, no other
> > flavors (except lemon juice) at this time. The innernet only had a few
> > recipes and none from anybody I know. Witch me luck, friends!
> > Edrena, adventuring....

> We used very ripe mangos and the above recipe.
> They set up very nicely in the jar, have a bit of separation. (The half inch
> of plain jelly at the bottom is a lovely straw yellow curiously enough.)
> When I stirred it all up to redistribute, it broke the gel and became a soft
> spread indeed. Not quite syrup, tho. Refrigeration did not make it stiffen
> up much. Beautiful color, like peach. It is delicioso! Very mango-ey. Nice
> subtle perfume and will blend well with other stuff, but lose something if
> overpowered. Not very tart, and I think using more lemon juice or citric
> acid would be in order. Might help the gel too, who knows. We chopped the
> fruit, and did not use a food processor. I like fruit bits. Mango can be a
> bit stringy, but I think it adds to the charm. The other market lady's mango
> jam is so pureed, it has no soul.
> Edrena, eatin' good on our birthday and hope you celebrated well, too,
> Mother Superior. Fiftytooth!

Oh, Lordy!!! I forgot it was your birthday, Miss Edrena!! I so
'shamed! Happy day after to you! Check my eboard site below for how
I celebrated on Sunday. :-)

Have you ever made my Mango-Strawberry Jam with Kiwifruit? The mangoes
and the berries get along nicely. (I chop them, too -- but am not
especially fond of stringy mangoes. Some are, some are not, IME.)

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Barb Schallerąs Mango-Strawberry Jam with Kiwifruit

Recipe By: A Barb Schaller original -- be sure you get the name right.
"-)

2 cups diced mango (1#)
1 3/4 cups mashed strawberries
3/4 cup diced kiwifruit
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp citric acid
7 1/2 cups sugar
2 pouches Certo brand liquid fruit pectin

Follow Certo instructions for making cooked Strawberry Jam. (Combine the
fruit, sugar, lemon juice, citric acid; boil. Add pectin, return to
boil hard for a minute. Jar. Process. Like that.)

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Source: Made it up for 1996 State Fair. Best stuff I made all
summer; it didnąt win a thing at the Fair. Humbug! But it did win
First Place in 1997!! But not in 1998.
_____

-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
pics of Ronald McDonald House dinner posted 6-24-2007
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:10:31 -0600, "The Joneses"
> wrote:

>"The Joneses" > wrote in message
et...
>> Hereyago George. I'm planning on using the peach recipe from SureJel. The
>> traditional boil-down methods seem to take much less sugar than peaches,
>> so this is experiment time for me. I'll report back later tonight after
>> they cool. Altho they may take a week or two to gel up, I'll get back to
>> us if anything changes. We're making just the straight jam, no other
>> flavors (except lemon juice) at this time. The innernet only had a few
>> recipes and none from anybody I know. Witch me luck, friends!
>> Edrena, adventuring....

>We used very ripe mangos and the above recipe.
>They set up very nicely in the jar, have a bit of separation. (The half inch
>of plain jelly at the bottom is a lovely straw yellow curiously enough.)
>When I stirred it all up to redistribute, it broke the gel and became a soft
>spread indeed. Not quite syrup, tho. Refrigeration did not make it stiffen
>up much. Beautiful color, like peach. It is delicioso! Very mango-ey. Nice
>subtle perfume and will blend well with other stuff, but lose something if
>overpowered. Not very tart, and I think using more lemon juice or citric
>acid would be in order. Might help the gel too, who knows. We chopped the
>fruit, and did not use a food processor. I like fruit bits. Mango can be a
>bit stringy, but I think it adds to the charm. The other market lady's mango
>jam is so pureed, it has no soul.
>Edrena, eatin' good on our birthday and hope you celebrated well, too,
>Mother Superior. Fiftytooth!

Happy Birthday. I will mark my calendar since there is no other way
that I will remember.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:10:31 -0600, "The Joneses"
> > wrote:
>
>>"The Joneses" > wrote in message
. net...
>>> Hereyago George. I'm planning on using the peach recipe from SureJel.
>>> The
>>> traditional boil-down methods seem to take much less sugar than peaches,
>>> so this is experiment time for me. I'll report back later tonight after
>>> they cool. Altho they may take a week or two to gel up, I'll get back to
>>> us if anything changes. We're making just the straight jam, no other
>>> flavors (except lemon juice) at this time. The innernet only had a few
>>> recipes and none from anybody I know. Witch me luck, friends!
>>> Edrena, adventuring....

>>We used very ripe mangos and the above recipe.
>>They set up very nicely in the jar, have a bit of separation. (The half
>>inch
>>of plain jelly at the bottom is a lovely straw yellow curiously enough.)
>>When I stirred it all up to redistribute, it broke the gel and became a
>>soft
>>spread indeed. Not quite syrup, tho. Refrigeration did not make it stiffen
>>up much. Beautiful color, like peach. It is delicioso! Very mango-ey. Nice
>>subtle perfume and will blend well with other stuff, but lose something if
>>overpowered. Not very tart, and I think using more lemon juice or citric
>>acid would be in order. Might help the gel too, who knows. We chopped the
>>fruit, and did not use a food processor. I like fruit bits. Mango can be a
>>bit stringy, but I think it adds to the charm. The other market lady's
>>mango
>>jam is so pureed, it has no soul.
>>Edrena, eatin' good on our birthday and hope you celebrated well, too,
>>Mother Superior. Fiftytooth!
>>

> Happy Birthday. I will mark my calendar since there is no other way
> that I will remember.
>
> --
> Susan N.

Nice recipe, Barb - I was planning on using up some frozen strawberries
today, too. And we love kiwi!
Susan - It's just about time I forgot! Them birthdays with zeros in 'em
are killers.
Edrena

Mangos!!! zydecogary General Cooking 1 08-06-2011 07:18 PM
Dried Mangos Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 16 17-06-2010 12:43 AM
something with mangos Stormmee Asian Cooking 9 21-05-2009 03:30 PM
Manilla mangos Dee Randall General Cooking 0 12-08-2005 05:03 PM
Can I add mangos and bananas to wine ??? Karl-Hugo Weesberg Winemaking 3 28-10-2004 12:33 AM