Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's the deal with pans without lids?

My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the pans
don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice) which requires
covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to cover the pan. I
looked on the All-Clad website and they have an entire section devoted to
buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You have to buy the lids separately?!
And at over $20 each? Is it just me or is this really crazy?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 29 Apr 2006 03:29:07a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the pans
> don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice) which requires
> covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to cover the pan. I
> looked on the All-Clad website and they have an entire section devoted to
> buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You have to buy the lids separately?!
> And at over $20 each? Is it just me or is this really crazy?

Some high-end European made pans are also sold this way. Lots of things are
cooked in open pots. I suppose one chooses cookware, with lid or not,
according to need.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
:: My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago
at
:: Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except
the pans
:: don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice) which
requires
:: covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to cover the pan.
:: looked on the All-Clad website and they have an entire section
devoted to
:: buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You have to buy the lids
separately?!
:: And at over $20 each? Is it just me or is this really crazy?
::
:: Jill

It's called marketing. Along with your designer pots and pans, you
get to pay extra for the designer lids. In either matching or
complementing colors. Ain't it grand? Pay premium prices for pots
and pans and also get the option of paying an extra premium for the
lids that should have been included at the original price!

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> It's called marketing. Along with your designer pots and pans, you
> get to pay extra for the designer lids. In either matching or
> complementing colors. Ain't it grand? Pay premium prices for pots and
> pans and also get the option of paying an extra premium for the lids that
> should have been included at the original price!
>
> BOB

Hear hear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote

> jmcquown wrote:
> :: My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> :: Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the
> pans
> :: don't have lids.

Just curious, when you say pans, do you mean saute pans,
frying pans, like that?

> It's called marketing. Along with your designer pots and pans, you get to
> pay extra for the designer lids. In either matching or complementing
> colors. Ain't it grand? Pay premium prices for pots and pans and also
> get the option of paying an extra premium for the lids that should have
> been included at the original price!

My sort of annoyance is how they describe pot sets ...
7 pieces. Don't try to cook 7 things using them, 3 of the pieces
are lids. Since I think most pots should have a lid, calling a pot
and a lid two pieces, eh. No big deal, obviously.

Jill, grab yourself a universal lid, sure won't cost you much.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the pans
> don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice) which requires
> covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to cover the pan. I
> looked on the All-Clad website and they have an entire section devoted to
> buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You have to buy the lids separately?!
> And at over $20 each? Is it just me or is this really crazy?

Twenty dollars is very little money for a lid to match a hundred dollar
pot... you can probaly buy a universal lid for $10 but it won't match
the pot.

Most high end commercial cookware is sold with the lids separately
because high quality lids are relatively costly and one lid will serve
many pieces... that saves money and space... do you really need four
10" lids rattling around your kitchen. I always feel it's disingenuous
when pot sets are sold like 15 pieces and 4 pieces are lids with two
exactly the same size (three pieces are cheap bowls and three pieces
are plastic bowl lids - how is that honest). If you want a lid
included for every pot buy cheap pots, those are usually sold with
lids. Also many commercial kitchens use stepped lids, where one lid
will serve three different diameter pots... usually the pots are beat
to hell and are replaced often while the lids often get little use...
if a new lid was included with every pot purchased... well, you figure
it out.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Just curious, when you say pans, do you mean saute pans,
> frying pans, like that?

Nope, these are pots. Deep pots, like for simmering broth or stock or a
couple of cups of rice or noodles.

> My sort of annoyance is how they describe pot sets ...
> 7 pieces. Don't try to cook 7 things using them, 3 of the pieces
> are lids. Since I think most pots should have a lid, calling a pot
> and a lid two pieces, eh. No big deal, obviously.
>
> Jill, grab yourself a universal lid, sure won't cost you much.
>
> nancy

Where would I find one of those? It would be greatly appreciated!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> :: My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago
> at
> :: Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except
> the pans
> :: don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice) which
> requires
> :: covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to cover the pan.
> :: looked on the All-Clad website and they have an entire section
> devoted to
> :: buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You have to buy the lids
> separately?!
> :: And at over $20 each? Is it just me or is this really crazy?
> ::
> :: Jill
>
> It's called marketing.

Marketing shmarketing... lids cost money!

> Along with your designer pots and pans, you
> get to pay extra for the designer lids. In either matching or
> complementing colors. Ain't it grand?

Nonsense! If your pots are color coordinated you ain't any kind of
cook... color coordinated cookware, all show and no go... you're funny!
LOL

> Pay premium prices for pots and pans and also get the option of paying an
> extra premium for the lids that should have been included at the original price!

Why should lids be included... now that's phoney baloney maketing...
pay extra for a bunch of included lids so you end up with many the same
size. DUH!

Idiot!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jo Ling wrote:
> > It's called marketing. Along with your designer pots and pans, you
> > get to pay extra for the designer lids. In either matching or
> > complementing colors. Ain't it grand? Pay premium prices for pots and
> > pans and also get the option of paying an extra premium for the lids that
> > should have been included at the original price!
> >
> > BOB
> >

> Hear hear.

Another imbecile *heard* from.

Color coordinated cookware! <G>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 29 Apr 2006 06:52:31a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Just curious, when you say pans, do you mean saute pans, frying pans,
>> like that?
>>

> Nope, these are pots. Deep pots, like for simmering broth or stock or a
> couple of cups of rice or noodles.
>
>> My sort of annoyance is how they describe pot sets ...
>> 7 pieces. Don't try to cook 7 things using them, 3 of the pieces
>> are lids. Since I think most pots should have a lid, calling a pot
>> and a lid two pieces, eh. No big deal, obviously.
>>
>> Jill, grab yourself a universal lid, sure won't cost you much.
>>
>> nancy

> Where would I find one of those? It would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Jill

Williams Sonoma

http://tinyurl.com/fy2jd

Amazon

http://tinyurl.com/jtze2

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote in message
> It's called marketing. Along with your designer pots and pans, you get to
> pay extra for the designer lids. In either matching or complementing
> colors. Ain't it grand? Pay premium prices for pots and pans and also
> get the option of paying an extra premium for the lids that should have
> been included at the original price!
>
> BOB

No, it's called common sense. Why buy a lid you will never use? I can use
the same lid for three or four pans so why should I have more clutter than
needed? Option is fine for me. Sorry, but you add the lid you add material
and labor and that "premium" price will be "super premium". We have many
more pots and pans that we do lids. I like it that way. We have a big
aluminum pot and the lid fits perfectly on the large cast iron skillet too.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> BOB wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>> Pay premium prices for pots and pans and also get the option of paying an
>> extra premium for the lids that should have been included at the original price!

> Why should lids be included... now that's phoney baloney maketing...
> pay extra for a bunch of included lids so you end up with many the same
> size. DUH!
>
> Idiot!
>
> Sheldon

If it's sold as a set, it should contain one lid for each size pot.

A stoneware plate or saucer makes a pretty good makeshift lid.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the pans
> don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice) which requires
> covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to cover the pan. I
> looked on the All-Clad website and they have an entire section devoted to
> buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You have to buy the lids separately?!
> And at over $20 each? Is it just me or is this really crazy?

I wondered about this because I have a fair amount of All Clad LTD acquired
over a 15 year period, and everything except the fry pans came with lids. So
I checked the All Clad site myself. It still looks like just about
everything comes with a lid except fry pans. They do have a lids section,
but the normal stuff seems to have them standard. Maybe the lids section is
for people who somehow lost their lids at some point.

Did your brother buy the pans "new in box"? Maybe he got them through some
non standard distribution channel and therefore the lids were missing.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > BOB wrote:
> >> jmcquown wrote:

> >> Pay premium prices for pots and pans and also get the option of paying an
> >> extra premium for the lids that should have been included at the original price!

> > Why should lids be included... now that's phoney baloney maketing...
> > pay extra for a bunch of included lids so you end up with many the same
> > size. DUH!
> >
> > Idiot!
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> If it's sold as a set, it should contain one lid for each size pot.

Sets rarely contain an equal number of lids and pots... most often a
lid will fit more than one pot.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> jmcquown wrote:
>> My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
>> Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the pans
>> don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice) which
>> requires
>> covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to cover the pan. I
>> looked on the All-Clad website and they have an entire section devoted to
>> buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You have to buy the lids
>> separately?!
>> And at over $20 each? Is it just me or is this really crazy?

> Twenty dollars is very little money for a lid to match a hundred dollar
> pot... you can probaly buy a universal lid for $10 but it won't match
> the pot.
>
> Most high end commercial cookware is sold with the lids separately
> because high quality lids are relatively costly and one lid will serve
> many pieces... that saves money and space... do you really need four
> 10" lids rattling around your kitchen. I always feel it's disingenuous
> when pot sets are sold like 15 pieces and 4 pieces are lids with two
> exactly the same size (three pieces are cheap bowls and three pieces
> are plastic bowl lids - how is that honest). If you want a lid
> included for every pot buy cheap pots, those are usually sold with
> lids. Also many commercial kitchens use stepped lids, where one lid
> will serve three different diameter pots... usually the pots are beat
> to hell and are replaced often while the lids often get little use...
> if a new lid was included with every pot purchased... well, you figure
> it out.

OTOH, one of my pots is now lidless, because it was a glass lid which I
accidentally left on a still-on gas hob. Hubby picked it up (with an oven
glove), and before I could say "Let it cool down in situ, because it may
shatter if you move it to a different temperature very quickly, I mean
you've got a masters in physics, you ought to know these things, didn't they
teach you anything of the properties of solids?" he had transferred it to a
slot in the dishwasher, and it shattered on contact. Bah. And I can't find
a lid to fit, because lids don't come in every single diameter, to the last
millimetre, and are difficult to buy without a pot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

BOB wrote:

> It's called marketing. Along with your designer pots and pans, you
> get to pay extra for the designer lids. In either matching or
> complementing colors. Ain't it grand? Pay premium prices for pots
> and pans and also get the option of paying an extra premium for the
> lids that should have been included at the original price!

Marketing people seem to realize that people tend to look only at the
price of most things, and that they aren't bright enough to look at the
whole picture. They can sell a covered pot for $80, or they can charge you
$70 for the pot and most people will think that they are saving $10 on the
pot and not realize that adding the price of the separately priced lid
made it more expensive.

I was lucky to have received some Paderno pots and pans as a gift. Those
puppies aren't cheap, but a few times a year Paderno has a huge sale where
they are marked down 40-50% and there is usually a door crasher item. I
have acquired a few extra pots over the years at these sales. Last year I
was getting something at the hardware store when I spotted a very large
pot that was the door crasher item. For $29.95 I would have been a fool
not to get it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> If it's sold as a set, it should contain one lid for each size pot.

Why? No logical reason. Not every pot and pan requires a lid at the same
time so why pay for it.?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the pans
> don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice) which requires
> covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to cover the pan. I
> looked on the All-Clad website and they have an entire section devoted to
> buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You have to buy the lids separately?!
> And at over $20 each? Is it just me or is this really crazy?
>
> Jill

Jill,

That would normally not be the case. The only All-Clad pan I have that came
without a lid is the butter warmer. Sometimes the "try-me" pans come
without a lid. I have more All-Clad lids than I know what to do with and
when I've mailed-ordered from Cookware & More have to request a pan without
a lid.

If you have some of the smaller pans (1 qt. 1-1/2 qt. and 2 qt.), they all
use the 6" lid.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> > If it's sold as a set, it should contain one lid for each size pot.

> Why? No logical reason. Not every pot and pan requires a lid at the same
> time so why pay for it.?

Perhaps it depends on the size of the set. Most sets have a variety of sizes,
diameter and depth, so the tops are all different sizes. Few people have
more than 4 burners, so they aren't going to be using more than 4 pots for a
meal, and all might need tops. The tops are the cheapest part of the set,
much easier to make and less material, but the price goes up when you have to
start ordering, shipping and stocking them separately.

One of the nice things about my Paderno pots is that their pot diameters are
standardized and I have different sized tops that are interchangeable, unlike
my previous set of pots which, except for the double boiler, were all
different. There were times I needed the top and bottom of the double boiler
but only had one top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:
>> My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago
>> at Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except
>> the pans don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice)
>> which requires covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to
>> cover the pan. I looked on the All-Clad website and they have an
>> entire section devoted to buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You
>> have to buy the lids separately?! And at over $20 each? Is it just
>> me or is this really crazy?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Jill,
>
> That would normally not be the case. The only All-Clad pan I have
> that came without a lid is the butter warmer. Sometimes the "try-me"
> pans come without a lid. I have more All-Clad lids than I know what
> to do with and when I've mailed-ordered from Cookware & More have to
> request a pan without a lid.
>
> If you have some of the smaller pans (1 qt. 1-1/2 qt. and 2 qt.),
> they all use the 6" lid.
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

So... what? My brother gave me the pans without the lids?! LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the pans
> don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice) which requires
> covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to cover the pan. I
> looked on the All-Clad website and they have an entire section devoted to
> buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You have to buy the lids separately?!
> And at over $20 each? Is it just me or is this really crazy?

I've never seen an all-clad pot or sautee pan that didn't come with a
lid. The frying pans don't, but they don't have the kind of rim that
would take a lid. The saucier may or may not; I don't have one.

Maybe he got them on special somewhere.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>> Why should lids be included... now that's phoney baloney maketing...
>>> pay extra for a bunch of included lids so you end up with many the same
>>> size. DUH!
>>>
>>> Idiot!
>>>
>>> Sheldon
>>>

>> If it's sold as a set, it should contain one lid for each size pot.

> Sets rarely contain an equal number of lids and pots... most often a
> lid will fit more than one pot.
>
> Sheldon

That's what I said. Pay attention.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>
>> If it's sold as a set, it should contain one lid for each size pot.

> Why? No logical reason. Not every pot and pan requires a lid at the same
> time so why pay for it.?

I said for each *size* pot. If 3 of the pots and pans take the same
lid, they put one lid in the box.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the
> pans don't have lids. ...

That's the way pots and pans are sold in restaurant equipment stores as
well. Instead of aluminum foil, you can use a dinner plate, cake pan, or a
small frying pan as the lid.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> I said for each *size* pot. If 3 of the pots and pans take the same lid,
> they put one lid in the box.
>
> Bob

I missed that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In a pinch, I have made lids from foil. I think they sell lids
separately because sometimes the lid in a particular line of pots and
pans fits several items that they sell.

Also, it makes them more money.

I get my best cookware at second hand stores and yard sales. I have a
wonderful, heavy roasting rack that cost me a dollar. You can't get
one that good today even in the cooking stores.

Guinevere
http://www.writingup.com/blog/Guinevere
Or
http://www.writingup.com?referer=8486

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> That's the way pots and pans are sold in restaurant equipment stores as
> well. Instead of aluminum foil, you can use a dinner plate, cake pan, or a
> small frying pan as the lid.

A square of foil with a potholder on top is exactly the right lid for a
quart pot that's steaming rice.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>

> > > If it's sold as a set, it should contain one lid for each size pot.

> > Why? No logical reason. Not every pot and pan requires a lid at the same
> > time so why pay for it.?

> Perhaps it depends on the size of the set. Most sets have a variety of sizes,
> diameter and depth, so the tops are all different sizes.

Not true... depths vary more than diameters. Cookware companys
typically produce the same diameter pots but of different volumes, ie.
with Farberware Classic the same lid will fit the 6 qt, 8 qt, and 10
qt sauce pots and will also fit the 10" skillet. I don't think I've
ever used more than two of those pots at the same time, and usually
would only need one lid... I may have the tomato sauce in the 6 qt pot
and I'll cook teh pasta in the 8 qt pot... I'll borrow the lid from the
sauce pot to bring the water in the 8 qt pot to the boil faster.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:

> >> If it's sold as a set, it should contain one lid for each size pot.

> > Sets rarely contain an equal number of lids and pots... most often a
> > lid will fit more than one pot.

> That's what I said. Pay attention.

Actually that may be what you meant but not quite what you said. And
your superfluous comma further blurs the intent of what you wrote.
Learn to express yourself more clearly, and watch those sentence
fragments.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> And [sic] your superfluous comma further blurs the intent of what you
> wrote. Learn to express yourself more clearly, and watch those
> sentence fragments.
>
> Sheldon

Commas, are the spice, of the written language,

Best, regards,
Bob, who likes things spicy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> > Perhaps it depends on the size of the set. Most sets have a variety of sizes,
> > diameter and depth, so the tops are all different sizes.

> Not true... depths vary more than diameters. Cookware companys
> typically produce the same diameter pots but of different volumes, ie.
> with Farberware Classic the same lid will fit the 6 qt, 8 qt, and 10
> qt sauce pots and will also fit the 10" skillet. I don't think I've
> ever used more than two of those pots at the same time, and usually
> would only need one lid... I may have the tomato sauce in the 6 qt pot
> and I'll cook teh pasta in the 8 qt pot... I'll borrow the lid from the
> sauce pot to bring the water in the 8 qt pot to the boil faster.

Most of the sets at a site I Googled came with pots of different diameters.

For instance, the Stellar 5 piece set comes with a 14 cm milk pan 16cm, 18cm and
20cm sauce pans and a 26 cm fry pan. Five pieces, five diameters.

The KitchenAid 5 piece set comes with a 14cm milk pan, 16cm, 18cm and 20 cm
saucepans, and a 24cm skillet.

Analon offers their pots in 14cm 16cm , 18cm and 20cm pans, and they have 24cm and
26cm skillets.

Aga offers sans in 16 cm, 18cm, 22cm and 24cm with two different heights in the
20cm and 24cm diameter

The Caphalon 6 piece set has a 20cm Frying Pan 30cm Frying Pan and 14cm, 16cm
25cm sauté pan and lid 22cm stockpot and lid .

Judge has 14cm, 16cm, 18cm and 20cm sauce pans, 24cm sauté pan 22cm casserole and
a 24cm stockpot.

I looked at the Farberware web site. It was hard to find the exact sizes of some
of their pots. It was difficult to tell with the pictures of some of the sets if
they were different sizes, but other sets most definitely had at least three
different sizes. FWIW, Farberware Classic offers 8", 10" and 12" tops in stainless
and glass.

http://www.farberwarecookware.com/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:50:25 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> If it's sold as a set, it should contain one lid for each size pot.

> Yeah. What he and Sheldon said. If you're buying open stock pans,
> you usually have to pay extra for lids. I have one lid for each
> pan, but several pans for each lid.
>
> I only use lids 1/4 of the time (often just to get the water
> boiling, then removing it).
>
> -sw

I never thought lids were 'that' helpful in cooking; or should I say, didn't
make that much difference.
But after I bought my last set of pots/pans, I realize how valuable a nice
fitting lid over a nice lip is.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the
> pans don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice)
> which requires covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to
> cover the pan. I looked on the All-Clad website and they have an
> entire section devoted to buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You
> have to buy the lids separately?! And at over $20 each? Is it just
> me or is this really crazy?
>
> Jill

Okay, excepting the Sheldon wanna-be, here's some clarification. These are
two pots (1 quart and 2 quart) that were given to me as a gift, not a "set".
No lids. Fine if I want to boil stuff but not any use at all for cooking
rice or other items which require a lid.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> jmcquown wrote:
> > My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> > Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the
> > pans don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice)
> > which requires covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to
> > cover the pan. I looked on the All-Clad website and they have an
> > entire section devoted to buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You
> > have to buy the lids separately?! And at over $20 each? Is it just
> > me or is this really crazy?
> >
> > Jill

> Okay, excepting the Sheldon wanna-be, here's some clarification. These

are
> two pots (1 quart and 2 quart) that were given to me as a gift, not a

"set".
> No lids. Fine if I want to boil stuff but not any use at all for cooking
> rice or other items which require a lid.
>
> Jill

Jill,
In that case I would call the Cookware and More people and see if they
happen to sell lids separately... never seen them there, but it couldn't
hurt to call. A 6" lid should fit both (unless the 2 qt. happens to be a
saucier). I have a 1-1/2 qt. All-Clad pan that I use constantly and it also
uses the 6" lid.

http://www.cookwarenmore.com/

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
> > My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> > Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the
> > pans don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice)
> > which requires covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to
> > cover the pan. I looked on the All-Clad website and they have an
> > entire section devoted to buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You
> > have to buy the lids separately?! And at over $20 each? Is it just
> > me or is this really crazy?

> Okay, excepting the Sheldon wanna-be, here's some clarification. These are
> two pots (1 quart and 2 quart) that were given to me as a gift, not a "set".
> No lids. Fine if I want to boil stuff but not any use at all for cooking
> rice or other items which require a lid.

According to the data at amazon.com both the 1 qt and 2 qt All-Crap
sauce pans are a 6" diameter and take the same lid. Depending where
All-Crap cookware is purchased it may or may not include lids, and the
price will reflect the difference with a lower amount without lids. If
lids are important to you then buy them... I would suggest buying just
one lid... personally I see no use whatsoever for a 1 qt pot.

Sheldon Real

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote:
> personally I see no use whatsoever for a 1 qt pot.

I guess you don't do much cooking for one or two? My 1 qt All Clad pot gets
heavily used for rice and sauces, among other things. It's also a great size
for turning stock into a single serving of some simple soup (egg drop being
my favorite).

I also have a 0.6 qt Sitram pot that is even smaller to use to make small
quantities of sauce for a serving or two. Because of its smaller diameter
than the 1 qt pot, there is some depth to the contents which makes some
sauces easier to deal with in such small quantities.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
> > personally I see no use whatsoever for a 1 qt pot.

> I guess you don't do much cooking for one or two? My 1 qt All Clad pot

gets
> heavily used for rice and sauces, among other things. It's also a great

size
> for turning stock into a single serving of some simple soup (egg drop

being
> my favorite).
>
> I also have a 0.6 qt Sitram pot that is even smaller to use to make small
> quantities of sauce for a serving or two. Because of its smaller diameter
> than the 1 qt pot, there is some depth to the contents which makes some
> sauces easier to deal with in such small quantities.
>
> --
> ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

I use my All-Clad 1 qt. saucepan so much that now I have two. Also have an
All-Clad butter warmer (1/2 quart) and a Kitchenaid 2 cup butter warmer
(that one has a pouring lip). I normally cook for just two people and they
are perfect sizes for that.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 05:29:07 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> My middle brother gave me a couple of All-Clad pans a few years ago at
> Christmas. That was nice of him and they are nice pans. Except the pans
> don't have lids. If I want to simmer something (like rice) which requires
> covering, I have to use heavy duty aluminium foil to cover the pan. I
> looked on the All-Clad website and they have an entire section devoted to
> buying lids to fit the pans. HUH?! You have to buy the lids separately?!
> And at over $20 each? Is it just me or is this really crazy?

Personally, I'd rather buy the pan and lid separately. I bought
several sizes of lids to fit my various pots and pans from a
restaurant supply store xx years ago and they are still going strong.
In fact, I just "inherited" some glass lids from a kid who had thrown
out the cookware they came with and I imagine I'll have them either
until I die or I move out of this house.... which ever comes first.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
> > personally I see no use whatsoever for a 1 qt pot.

> I guess you don't do much cooking for one or two? My 1 qt All Clad pot gets
> heavily used for rice and sauces, among other things. It's also a great size
> for turning stock into a single serving of some simple soup (egg drop being
> my favorite).

A 1 qt pot is too small to cook a cup of rice... and too small for egg
drop or any other kind of soup for two.... whadaya do, fill it to the
tippy top, how do you stir... no wonder your stove looks like slob
city, everything boils over.

> I also have a 0.6 qt Sitram pot that is even smaller to use to make small
> quantities of sauce for a serving or two. Because of its smaller diameter
> than the 1 qt pot, there is some depth to the contents which makes some
> sauces easier to deal with in such small quantities.

My typical pee is more than .6 qt.

Gee, I'd hate to be invited to your house for dinner, POW rations!

Sheldon