Cayenne vs. Chili Arbol... any difference?

Old 08-01-2006, 08:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Default Cayenne vs. Chili Arbol... any difference?

I sometimes buy powdered Chili Arbol from a local store;
in my experience it is identical in color, hotness and
flavor to cayenne. Wikipedia says the are the same biological
species.

Is there any difference?

Steve
Old 08-01-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Bubbabob wrote:

(Steve Pope) wrote:

Is there any difference?

Flavor. Definitely flavor.

Same species, very different cultivar. Arbols are also usually much smaller
than cayennes and less fleshy.

If you're buying powdered chiles they're probably too old and oxidized for
the differences to be obvious.

Well, possibly, but I used dried chilis alot and there are definite
culinary difference over fresh chilis that can be used to advantage.
Furthermore fresh chilis, of a given variety, are not alwasy
in season.

The main thing I'm wondering about is whether there's enough
of a difference between these two products that I should keep
both on hand. I'm leaning towards "probably not", but so
far I instinctively put cayenne into an Italian dish, and arbol
into a Mexican dish.

Steve
Old 08-01-2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

modom somebody wrote:

They look different as whole pods.

Thanks

Most, if not all chiles are
members of the same species.

According to Wikipedia, five common species. Cayenne and arbol
are from C. frutescens, most other chilis and sweet peppers
from C. annuum, and habaneros are C. chinense.

Steve
Old 08-01-2006, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Steve Pope wrote:
modom somebody wrote:

They look different as whole pods.

Thanks

Most, if not all chiles are
members of the same species.

According to Wikipedia, five common species. Cayenne and arbol
are from C. frutescens, most other chilis and sweet peppers
from C. annuum, and habaneros are C. chinense.

Steve

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. Cayenne and (I think)
arbol are C. annuum. Tabascos are C. frutescens.

I've caught other errors on Wikipedia too. Usually the article is right
for the most part and screws up a few details.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 09-01-2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Steve Pope wrote:
Bubbabob wrote:

(Steve Pope) wrote:

Is there any difference?

Flavor. Definitely flavor.

Same species, very different cultivar. Arbols are also usually much smaller
than cayennes and less fleshy.

If you're buying powdered chiles they're probably too old and oxidized for
the differences to be obvious.

Well, possibly, but I used dried chilis alot and there are definite
culinary difference over fresh chilis that can be used to advantage.
Furthermore fresh chilis, of a given variety, are not alwasy
in season.

The main thing I'm wondering about is whether there's enough
of a difference between these two products that I should keep
both on hand. I'm leaning towards "probably not", but so
far I instinctively put cayenne into an Italian dish, and arbol
into a Mexican dish.

Growing conditions (soil, weather, etc.) will make a major difference
(flavor, appearance, etc.) even using seeds of the same plant.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Experienced Member

For a long time I thought the same thing because of the their appearance.

If you taste the two peppers next to each other, the cayenne will clock in with a substantially high scoville unit. When I convert a recipe from arbol to cayenne, I have to reduce the quantity by half or the dish will be too hot.

I love the taste of arbol. Cayenne is mostly heat to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope

Old 09-01-2006, 05:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

zxcvbob wrote:

Steve Pope wrote:

According to Wikipedia, five common species. Cayenne and arbol
are from C. frutescens, most other chilis and sweet peppers
from C. annuum, and habaneros are C. chinense.

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. Cayenne and (I think)
arbol are C. annuum. Tabascos are C. frutescens.

I've caught other errors on Wikipedia too. Usually the article is right
for the most part and screws up a few details.

Yes, thanks for the reminder of how unreliable the entries
can be. Of course you supposed to correct them when you find
a wrong one but I never do that either.

teve
Old 09-01-2006, 05:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

I've caught other errors on Wikipedia too. Usually the article is right
for the most part and screws up a few details.

Wikipedia has huge problems with factual truth. Since literally anyone
can change a fact, they can change true facts to false ones.

And getting it changed back can invoke all of the social ills of the
Wikipedia's design.

It entrenches a lot of bad information by making the right people
walk away and leave it to rot.

--Blair

Old 09-01-2006, 12:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

at Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:27:50 GMT in , spope33
@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote :

I sometimes buy powdered Chili Arbol from a local store;
in my experience it is identical in color, hotness and
flavor to cayenne. Wikipedia says the are the same biological
species.

From a flavour standpoint, Arbol tend to have a flatter, "woodier" flavour
than Cayenne which is "fruitier". From a heat standpoint, the crucial thing
isn't the power but the intensity profile. Arbol, a little like Thai
chiles, comes on right away with a recognisable, intense "spike", so that
right away you're jolted to life. Then it subsides gradually before
building up to moderate heat at the end. Meanwhile, Cayenne is more
consistent and insistent with its heat, much more like a defensive lineman
in football, pushing you back, back with irresistible force. It just stays
at the same, medium-high level. That level isn't as momentarily intense as
that quick Arbol spike, but it lasts much longer, so the impression of hear
may be more. Added to food, then, Arbol is better if the idea is to create
interest without overwhelming the taste of other things. Cayenne is better
when the idea is heat without mercy or when you want the flavour of the
chile itself to be the keynote.

How this will play out in powdered chili is a little different, I think.
The flavour characteristics won't be as prominent, so it will be the
differences in how the heat manifests that will dominate.

--
Alex Rast

Old 09-01-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Usenet poster

Steve Pope wrote:
Bubbabob wrote:

(Steve Pope) wrote:

Is there any difference?

Flavor. Definitely flavor.

Same species, very different cultivar. Arbols are also usually much smaller
than cayennes and less fleshy.

If you're buying powdered chiles they're probably too old and oxidized for
the differences to be obvious.

Well, possibly, but I used dried chilis alot and there are definite
culinary difference over fresh chilis that can be used to advantage.
Furthermore fresh chilis, of a given variety, are not alwasy
in season.

I grow Numex Big Jims and poblanos, but will probably grow a few others
this year.

The main thing I'm wondering about is whether there's enough
of a difference between these two products that I should keep
both on hand. I'm leaning towards "probably not", but so
far I instinctively put cayenne into an Italian dish, and arbol
into a Mexican dish.

I like this site: http://tomatogrowers.com/hot.htm and this one:
http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/NMSUCultivars_1.htm Heck, I just
like to look at chiles.

Steve

--Bryan

Recipe: Sunset Book Compilation Mike \Piedmont\ Barbecue 0 30-10-2005 12:57 PM
Texas Chili...Joke JeanineAlyse General Cooking 1 22-07-2005 06:37 PM
REC - Damsel's Midwestern Black Bean Chili Damsel General Cooking 9 18-07-2005 05:49 PM
Devils Food Chili MrFalafel Vegan 2 13-06-2004 03:22 PM
Biker Gang Chili luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 05-01-2004 05:11 PM