Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phyllis Stone

Default gas grill cover question

I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
Depot or Lowes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Phyllis Stone" > wrote in message
. net...
>I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
>first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
>protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
>really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
>Depot or Lowes.

Why bother? If the grill's hot, the cover will be, too. Water & snow will
sizzle and evaporate when they hit the metal. If you feel you must cover it,
how about using heavy duty foil?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 05 Jan 2006 02:59:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Phyllis
Stone?

> I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
> first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
> protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
> really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
> Depot or Lowes.

Yes, they do exist. I had one for a previous grill and it worked very well.
Mine came from a BBQ grill specialty store where I bought my grill. That was
six years and two cities ago, and I no longer have either the grill or the
cover, so cannot give you a name.

I would suggest looking beyond the big box stores.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Phyllis Stone wrote:
> I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
> first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
> protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
> really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
> Depot or Lowes.

Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
away (if you're lucky).

Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
should be outdoors... sheesh!

Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phyllis Stone

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Phyllis Stone wrote:
>> I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
>> first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill
>> protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
>> really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
>> Depot or Lowes.

> Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
> embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
> cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
> designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
> would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
> impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
> in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
> away (if you're lucky).
>
> Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
> heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
> should be outdoors... sheesh!
>
> Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
> suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
> rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.
>
> Sheldon

I am finally a member of this newsgroup, I have been Sheldonized!
The weather here in Houston is not friendly to anything that sits outside.
Sun and rain is a big thing here. You are right, I don't like to get my car
wet, but of course I do. It is a good thing my grill did not cost $5000. as
I would probably bring it in the house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Phyllis Stone wrote:

> I am finally a member of this newsgroup,

You're not even close to being a member, you've so far contributed
nothing, certainly nothing worthwhile, so far all you've done is take.

> I have been Sheldonized!

Not until your IQ begins to creep upwards and out of the red zone.

> The weather here in Houston is not friendly to anything that sits outside.
> Sun and rain is a big thing here.

Sun and rain to a grill is like water to a duck's back... your grill's
worst enemy is you. Houston is humid, covers hold in condensation and
cause mold to grow, do you want your grill for cooking or are you going
to fill it with your horseshit and pretend to be a mushroom farmer.

> It is a good thing my grill did not cost $5000.

So I was correct from the git-go... "Why do you need a cover, is your
grill such a cheap model it's an embarrassment."

Anytime I see an outdoor grill all sparkly new and swaddled in a cushy
cover I know whoever lives there doesn't cook. I'm positive the rest
of the rednecks in your sub division know you as the tube steak
maven... Phyllis the weenie woman! <G>.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . . .

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phyllis Stone

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Anytime I see an outdoor grill all sparkly new and swaddled in a cushy
> cover I know whoever lives there doesn't cook. I'm positive the rest
> of the rednecks in your sub division know you as the tube steak
> maven... Phyllis the weenie woman! <G>.
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . . .

Well as someone else has already said, "oh Sheldon, I love it when you talk
dirty".

> Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Allan Matthews

On 5 Jan 2006 15:12:15 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Phyllis Stone wrote:
>> I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
>> first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
>> protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
>> really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
>> Depot or Lowes.

>Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
>embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
>cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
>designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
>would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
>impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
>in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
>away (if you're lucky).
>
>Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
>heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
>should be outdoors... sheesh!
>
>Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
>suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
>rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.
>
>Sheldon

Sheldon, You have mentioned your farm tractor here. Do you leave it
out all winter or do ou put it under shelter?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Allan Matthews wrote:
> On 5 Jan 2006 15:12:15 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> >Phyllis Stone wrote:
> >> I can ask this over at the bbq. newsgroup but I thought I would ask here
> >> first. Isn't there a cover that you can buy, you put it over your grill to
> >> protect it from the elements, and the grill can still be hot or warm? I
> >> really thought I had seen these before but now I can't find them at Home
> >> Depot or Lowes.

> >Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
> >embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
> >cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
> >designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
> >would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
> >impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
> >in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
> >away (if you're lucky).
> >
> >Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
> >heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
> >should be outdoors... sheesh!
> >
> >Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
> >suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
> >rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.

> Sheldon, You have mentioned your farm tractor here. Do you leave it
> out all winter or do ou put it under shelter?

I keep in indoors, parked right alongside my bed.... and no, it never
touches dirt... it's a tractor you asshole. It's supposed to get
dirty... sheesh!

It has a space outdoors all winter alongside my driveway, its block
heater plugged in, with snowplow attached and right now covered with a
foot of snow.

And my weber has set outdoors since day one, some 7 years now, never
had a cover, shows not a bit of wear from the elements, and has many,
many hours of use... I wish it would melt so I can get a new one, a
different color, I'm getting tired of red.

Allan Matthews, what an idiot you are... you disingenuous/smarmy
*******.

What friggin' good would it be to park it in the barn, what if it snows
(duh), that barn is some 800 feet away from where I need to plow, and
so how to you suggest I get there when I wake up to a few feet of snow
and drifts over my head:
http://tinypic.com/js2bs2.jpg

Check out MY grill cover:

http://tinypic.com/js2bzb.jpg

Allan Matthews. you ****ing NEWBIE moron.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Allan Matthews

On 6 Jan 2006 06:49:24 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Allan Matthews wrote:

>> >Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
>> >embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
>> >cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
>> >designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
>> >would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
>> >impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
>> >in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
>> >away (if you're lucky).
>> >
>> >Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
>> >heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
>> >should be outdoors... sheesh!
>> >
>> >Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
>> >suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
>> >rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.

>> Sheldon, You have mentioned your farm tractor here. Do you leave it
>> out all winter or do ou put it under shelter?

>I keep in indoors, parked right alongside my bed.... and no, it never
>touches dirt... it's a tractor you asshole. It's supposed to get
>dirty... sheesh!
>
>It has a space outdoors all winter alongside my driveway, its block
>heater plugged in, with snowplow attached and right now covered with a
>foot of snow.
>
>And my weber has set outdoors since day one, some 7 years now, never
>had a cover, shows not a bit of wear from the elements, and has many,
>many hours of use... I wish it would melt so I can get a new one, a
>different color, I'm getting tired of red.
>
>Allan Matthews, what an idiot you are... you disingenuous/smarmy
>*******.
>
>What friggin' good would it be to park it in the barn, what if it snows
>(duh), that barn is some 800 feet away from where I need to plow, and
>so how to you suggest I get there when I wake up to a few feet of snow
>and drifts over my head:
>http://tinypic.com/js2bs2.jpg
>
>Check out MY grill cover:
>
>http://tinypic.com/js2bzb.jpg
>
>Allan Matthews. you ****ing NEWBIE moron.
>
>Sheldon

Hey Phyllis...Now this is "Sheldonizing" See how little it takes to
jerk his chain?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Allan Matthews wrote:

> Now this is "Sheldonizing" See how little it takes to
> jerk his chain?

Allen Matthews is definitely a little jerk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Allan Matthews

On 6 Jan 2006 12:51:23 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Allan Matthews wrote:
>>>

>> Now this is "Sheldonizing" See how little it takes to
>> jerk his chain?

>Allen Matthews is definitely a little jerk.

Who learned early in life to take care of equipment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Allan Matthews wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> >
> >Allen Matthews is definitely a little jerk.

> Who learned early in life to take care of equipment.

Yeah... I got your equipment... bend over and take care of this johnson
bar!

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

On 6 Jan 2006 06:49:24 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>What friggin' good would it be to park it in the barn, what if it snows
>(duh), that barn is some 800 feet away from where I need to plow, and
>so how to you suggest I get there when I wake up to a few feet of snow
>and drifts over my head:
>http://tinypic.com/js2bs2.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of snow.

>Check out MY grill cover:
>
>http://tinypic.com/js2bzb.jpg

And that grill cover is in pristine white condition.

>Sheldon

Kathy in NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gregory Morrow

Kathy in NZ wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2006 06:49:24 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> >What friggin' good would it be to park it in the barn, what if it snows
> >(duh), that barn is some 800 feet away from where I need to plow, and
> >so how to you suggest I get there when I wake up to a few feet of snow
> >and drifts over my head:
> >http://tinypic.com/js2bs2.jpg

> Wow, that's a lot of snow.

Upstate New York is one of the snow "capitals" of the US...winter up
there ain't for sissies!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Weber grills aren't impervious to the elements - it looks like yours is a
Weber, Sheldon. The burner knobs on my Weber Genesis are crumbled to
bits from all the hail we get around here. Don't forget that not everyone
has the same weather that you do!

So, where I live, "impervious, outdoor grills" certainly benefit from a
good cover. Now, if only we could find a good cover to fit Sheldon's
pie-hole...
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

wrote:
> : Why do you need a cover, is your grill such a cheap model it's an
> : embarrassement. They call them "outdoor" grills for a reason. A grill
> : cover is just another worthless piece of crap, a schmatah that's
> : designed strictly for separating the pinheads from their dollars... why
> : would any normal brained person want to cover something that is
> : impervious to the elements (and that you can even safely build fires
> : in) with something that will char, tear, fade, and very likely blow
> : away (if you're lucky).
>
> : Imagine, these days folks will gladly spend like $5,000 for a extra
> : heavy duty all stainless steel outdoor grill and then are ascared it
> : should be outdoors... sheesh!
>
> : Anything labeled for outdoor use that needs a cover is not really
> : suitable for outdoor use... I bet you don't drive your car in the
> : rain... you named her "Sugar" so you're ascared she will melt.
>
> : Sheldon
>

> Weber grills aren't impervious to the elements - it looks like yours is a
> Weber, Sheldon. The burner knobs on my Weber Genesis are crumbled to
> bits from all the hail we get around here. Don't forget that not everyone
> has the same weather that you do!

I don't believe you. It hails aplenty around here, and biguns! It's
hailed on my grill's knobs many a time, and without incident... and
even if Weber knobs did become damaged from hail Weber would replace
them, for free. One of the small casters on mine fell off unnoticed
when I moved it a short way across my lawn and it got pulverized to
smithereens when I mowed... Weber sent me not one, but two brand new
casters, they took responsibility because the castors aren't supposed
to fall off. You sir are a shit stirrer... and I don't believe your
story.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

: > Weber grills aren't impervious to the elements - it looks like yours is a
: > Weber, Sheldon. The burner knobs on my Weber Genesis are crumbled to
: > bits from all the hail we get around here. Don't forget that not everyone
: > has the same weather that you do!

: I don't believe you. It hails aplenty around here, and biguns! It's
: hailed on my grill's knobs many a time, and without incident... and
: even if Weber knobs did become damaged from hail Weber would replace
: them, for free. One of the small casters on mine fell off unnoticed
: when I moved it a short way across my lawn and it got pulverized to
: smithereens when I mowed... Weber sent me not one, but two brand new
: casters, they took responsibility because the castors aren't supposed
: to fall off. You sir are a shit stirrer... and I don't believe your
: story.

That's OK, I don't believe most of the shit you stir either!
I'll have to take a photo showing the holes in the knobs from the hail
and get it posted so you can see for yourself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

wrote:
> : > Weber grills aren't impervious to the elements - it looks like yours is a
> : > Weber, Sheldon. The burner knobs on my Weber Genesis are crumbled to
> : > bits from all the hail we get around here. Don't forget that not everyone
> : > has the same weather that you do!
>
> : I don't believe you. It hails aplenty around here, and biguns! It's
> : hailed on my grill's knobs many a time, and without incident... and
> : even if Weber knobs did become damaged from hail Weber would replace
> : them, for free. One of the small casters on mine fell off unnoticed
> : when I moved it a short way across my lawn and it got pulverized to
> : smithereens when I mowed... Weber sent me not one, but two brand new
> : casters, they took responsibility because the castors aren't supposed
> : to fall off. You sir are a shit stirrer... and I don't believe your
> : story.
>

> That's OK, I don't believe most of the shit you stir either!
> I'll have to take a photo showing the holes in the knobs from the hail
> and get it posted so you can see for yourself.

How will you take photos of knobs you already claimed have been
"crumbled to bits"... what'll you do, post pictures of valve stems?
duh

And had your grill knobs been ruined from constant hail storms you
would have long ago replaced and protected them (Weber knobs only cost
*$2/per*). Weber's gas valve knobs are of very stout plastic and the
way they're configured they present very little flat area that could be
pelted with hail. Mine have endured many a hail storm and are none the
worse for wear... only wear they show is that after so many years
exposed to ultra violet they are kind of chalky grey rather than shiny
black, but they function perfectly so I don't even consider
replacements. The only wear and tear from weather my grill displays is
that the shelving has turned grey, mine is from the pre-plastic
shelving days... so every couple of years when I coat my wood deck and
furniture with Thompsons I give the Weber wooden shelves a few licks
too. You keep digging yourself into an ever deepening hole. You're
such a lair.

I doubt you even own a Weber, I don't think you've ever seen one up
close and personal. Anyone could plainly see that Weber knobs are very
well engineered for outdoor durability, they offer very little
horizontal area for hail to strike.

http://weber.com/bbq/pub/shop/produc...ProductID=1053

I once owned a grill cover, for my previous grill. Since I had to wait
for the grill to cool down before using the cover it rarely got used.
The few times I placed it on early there was some hot spot that damaged
the cover. One day I forgot to lash the cover down with rope and a big
wind storm blew the cover away, never did find it.

As an aside, gas grill covers are not safe. If there's a slight leak
the cover may act like a balloon and contain an accumulation of gas,
then someone walks by with a lit cigarette. Kaboom!

If I thought a grill cover had any value I'd say so, they have no value
whatsoever... only if you like to offer a home to hornets.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

>If I thought a grill cover had any value I'd say so, they have no value whatsoever... only if you like to offer a home to hornets.

Paper Wasps Sheldon... they're the ones' most likely to build a nest
under a grill cover- Hornets prefer trees. Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking

: wrote:
: > : > Weber grills aren't impervious to the elements - it looks like yours is a
: > : > Weber, Sheldon. The burner knobs on my Weber Genesis are crumbled to
: > : > bits from all the hail we get around here. Don't forget that not everyone
: > : > has the same weather that you do!
: >

:
http://weber.com/bbq/pub/shop/produc...ProductID=1053

: I once owned a grill cover, for my previous grill. Since I had to wait
: for the grill to cool down before using the cover it rarely got used.
: The few times I placed it on early there was some hot spot that damaged
: the cover. One day I forgot to lash the cover down with rope and a big
: wind storm blew the cover away, never did find it.

: As an aside, gas grill covers are not safe. If there's a slight leak
: the cover may act like a balloon and contain an accumulation of gas,
: then someone walks by with a lit cigarette. Kaboom!

: If I thought a grill cover had any value I'd say so, they have no value
: whatsoever... only if you like to offer a home to hornets.

: Sheldon

Sigh - I'm not going to waste any more time on you by posting any photos,
as you've already determined that the earth is flat and nothing can prove
otherwise.

: And had your grill knobs been ruined from constant hail storms you
: would have long ago replaced and protected them (Weber knobs only cost

"protected them"? That's EXACTLY what the subject of this thread is, you twit.

FYI - propane is heavier than air, so there's no way it could make "the cover
act like a balloon". Duh. You're the USENET's biggest TROLL, only in disguise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bobemeril

I hate to admit I agree w/Sheldon on the covers.My gas grille is at
least 17 yrs old,and has been outside through rain, snow,and hail.
I've replaced the burners quite a few times,replaced the glass front
with a peice of metal[because it suddenly rained when I had it cranked
up all the way hot years ago].
But every time I think maybe Sheldon has a lick of sense,he turns
right back into his dildostic self. Ahahahahahahah-----Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

bobemeril wrote:

> I hate to admit I agree w/Sheldon on the covers.My gas grille is at
> least 17 yrs old,and has been outside through rain, snow,and hail.
> I've replaced the burners quite a few times,replaced the glass front
> with a peice of metal[because it suddenly rained when I had it cranked
> up all the way hot years ago].

My gas grill has no idea what a cover looks like. It has been on the patio
for a5 or 16 years now, rain or shine, summer and winter. I replaced the
wooden knobs a few times and then spend the extra $2 to get the synthetic
type. which have not needed replacement. I have replaced the burner
twice. The second replacement was cast iron and has proved itself worth
the extra cost. I have replaced the bottom grate twice. The valves got a
little sticky last year but a shot of WD40 loosened them up. I broke a
knob when the valve stuck but got a cheap replacement. So far, the things
that I have replaced that had to be replaced because of weathering were
cheaper than a cover. The body and frame are still in great shape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:02:20 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> bobemeril wrote:
>
> > I hate to admit I agree w/Sheldon on the covers.My gas grille is at
> > least 17 yrs old,and has been outside through rain, snow,and hail.
> > I've replaced the burners quite a few times,replaced the glass front
> > with a peice of metal[because it suddenly rained when I had it cranked
> > up all the way hot years ago].

> My gas grill has no idea what a cover looks like. It has been on the patio
> for a5 or 16 years now, rain or shine, summer and winter. I replaced the
> wooden knobs a few times and then spend the extra $2 to get the synthetic
> type. which have not needed replacement. I have replaced the burner
> twice. The second replacement was cast iron and has proved itself worth
> the extra cost. I have replaced the bottom grate twice. The valves got a
> little sticky last year but a shot of WD40 loosened them up. I broke a
> knob when the valve stuck but got a cheap replacement. So far, the things
> that I have replaced that had to be replaced because of weathering were
> cheaper than a cover. The body and frame are still in great shape.

OH Boy, you can't kill that thing! It's just plain old.