Franfogel

Default Dishwasher question

This doesn't relate directly to food, but since the members of this newsgroup
spend a lot of time in their kitchens, I hope someone has an answer.
My wonderful old Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher is on its last legs (after
15 years!) and I have to replace it. I was told by a repairman that it's
better to get one with mechanical controls, because the computerized
"touchpads" on the new machines are eventually knocked out by the steam from
the dishwasher. It seems like only the low end models still have the
mechanical controls.
Can anyone recommend a reliable model to me, preferably with the mechanical
controls? The Kitchenaid and Maytag models that Consumer Reports recommends
have the touchpads. I don't need 27 cycles and ten wash arms--just something
reliable and sturdy. Thanks!

Fran
Wayne

(Franfogel) wrote in
:

> This doesn't relate directly to food, but since the members of this
> newsgroup spend a lot of time in their kitchens, I hope someone has an
> answer. My wonderful old Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher is on its
> last legs (after 15 years!) and I have to replace it. I was told by a
> repairman that it's better to get one with mechanical controls,
> because the computerized "touchpads" on the new machines are
> eventually knocked out by the steam from the dishwasher. It seems
> like only the low end models still have the mechanical controls.
> Can anyone recommend a reliable model to me, preferably with the
> mechanical controls? The Kitchenaid and Maytag models that Consumer
> Reports recommends have the touchpads. I don't need 27 cycles and ten
> wash arms--just something reliable and sturdy. Thanks!
>
> Fran

We currently have a low-end Whirlpool in a new rental house that we've
been in for a year. It performs at least as well as the deep-tub top-of-
the-line Kenmore we had installed in our last house. It has a mechanical
dial/timer and a rocker switch setting for heated or non-heated drying.

That said, the convenience and capacity of loading was superior in the
Kenmore, especially since it didn't have a center wash tower. The
Whirlpool model we're now using does have the tower and makes loading
large objects tedious.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Sam D.

"Franfogel" > wrote in message
> This doesn't relate directly to food, but since the members of this

newsgroup
> spend a lot of time in their kitchens, I hope someone has an answer.
> My wonderful old Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher is on its last legs

(after
> 15 years!) and I have to replace it. I was told by a repairman that it's
> better to get one with mechanical controls, because the computerized
> "touchpads" on the new machines are eventually knocked out by the steam

from
> the dishwasher. It seems like only the low end models still have the
> mechanical controls.
> Can anyone recommend a reliable model to me, preferably with the

mechanical
> controls? The Kitchenaid and Maytag models that Consumer Reports

recommends
> have the touchpads. I don't need 27 cycles and ten wash arms--just

something
> reliable and sturdy. Thanks!

A couple of thoughts on this:

My brother bought a Bosch dishwasher a couple years ago and he has been
thoroughly satisfied with it. It has worked reliably and the sound level is
exceptionally low. I can't give you the model but it sold for around $500.

Just based on the overall good experience I have personally had with GE
appliances, I would probably lean toward GE. In purchasing appliances, I am
a firm believer in buying a mid-level model that is one of the top sellers
in the manufacturers line. Manufacturers generally pay the most attention to
their top selling models. High volume means they have greater experience in
producing such products than lesser selling items. And finally, there is
assurance that parts and service will be readily available in the future.

I wouldn't rely on the advice you received on mechanical vs. electronic
controls. That may have been more credible with much earlier generations of
electronic controls. But it isn't really an issue now. Steam could just as
surely corrode mechanical controls as electronic controls if they were not
adequately protected. But that would more likely result from poor design
than any inherent weakness in the controls.

NTANTIQUES

>My brother bought a Bosch dishwasher a couple years ago and he has been
>thoroughly satisfied with it. It has worked reliably and the sound level is
>exceptionally low. I can't give you the model but it sold for around $500.
>
>Just based on the overall good experience I have personally had with GE
>appliances, I would probably lean toward GE. In purchasing appliances, I am
>a firm believer in buying a mid-level model that is one of the top sellers
>in the manufacturers line. Manufacturers generally pay the most attention to
>their top selling models. High volume means they have greater experience in
>producing such products than lesser selling items. And finally, there is
>assurance that parts and service will be readily available in the future.
>
>I wouldn't rely on the advice you received on mechanical vs. electronic
>controls. That may have been more credible with much earlier generations of
>electronic controls. But it isn't really an issue now. Steam could just as
>surely corrode mechanical controls as electronic controls if they were not
>adequately protected. But that would more likely result from poor design
>than any inherent weakness in the controls.

Recently had a long chat with a very experienced, straight shooting appliance
repairman who was fixing the $%$# icemaker on my GE Gallery fridge...his take
was that the current best choice for appliances ( based on his recent
experience with a wide variety of manufacturers & their products), was
Whirlpool. My 5 year old GE dishwasher is ok, but no great shakes. Mr.
Repairman said I've been lucky - he gets calls on more late model GE
dishwashers than any of the other makes.
NT
Wayne

oQspam (NTANTIQUES) wrote in
:

>>My brother bought a Bosch dishwasher a couple years ago and he has
>>been thoroughly satisfied with it. It has worked reliably and the
>>sound level is exceptionally low. I can't give you the model but it
>>sold for around $500.
>>
>>Just based on the overall good experience I have personally had with
>>GE appliances, I would probably lean toward GE. In purchasing
>>appliances, I am a firm believer in buying a mid-level model that is
>>one of the top sellers in the manufacturers line. Manufacturers
>>generally pay the most attention to their top selling models. High
>>volume means they have greater experience in producing such products
>>than lesser selling items. And finally, there is assurance that parts
>>and service will be readily available in the future.
>>
>>I wouldn't rely on the advice you received on mechanical vs.
>>electronic controls. That may have been more credible with much
>>earlier generations of electronic controls. But it isn't really an
>>issue now. Steam could just as surely corrode mechanical controls as
>>electronic controls if they were not adequately protected. But that
>>would more likely result from poor design than any inherent weakness
>>in the controls.

> Recently had a long chat with a very experienced, straight shooting
> appliance repairman who was fixing the $%$# icemaker on my GE Gallery
> fridge...his take was that the current best choice for appliances (
> based on his recent experience with a wide variety of manufacturers &
> their products), was Whirlpool. My 5 year old GE dishwasher is ok,
> but no great shakes. Mr. Repairman said I've been lucky - he gets
> calls on more late model GE dishwashers than any of the other makes.
> NT

I've had reasonably good luck with GE refrigerators and electric ranges.
However, every GE dishwasher I've ever used over the years has leaked.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

zxcvbob

Franfogel wrote:

> This doesn't relate directly to food, but since the members of this newsgroup
> spend a lot of time in their kitchens, I hope someone has an answer.
> My wonderful old Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher is on its last legs (after
> 15 years!) and I have to replace it. I was told by a repairman that it's
> better to get one with mechanical controls, because the computerized
> "touchpads" on the new machines are eventually knocked out by the steam from
> the dishwasher. It seems like only the low end models still have the
> mechanical controls.
> Can anyone recommend a reliable model to me, preferably with the mechanical
> controls? The Kitchenaid and Maytag models that Consumer Reports recommends
> have the touchpads. I don't need 27 cycles and ten wash arms--just something
> reliable and sturdy. Thanks!
>
> Fran

We have a Frigidaire portable with mechanical controls. It has water
heating, no center tower, and it does a great job. I don't think they
make a portable anymore, but you probably want a built-in anyway. The
Frigidaire has worked flawlessly for over 10 years even though my DW
abuses and often destroys appliances.

I also have a Frigidiare washing machine and 2 Frigidaire air
conditioners and have been quite happy with all of them.

HTH, :-)
Bob
NTANTIQUES

>I've had reasonably good luck with GE refrigerators and electric ranges.
>However, every GE dishwasher I've ever used over the years has leaked.
>
>--
>Wayne in Phoenix

That's the primary problem my repairman cited with the GE dishwashers. Since
I'm now facing replacement of my kitchen floor due to themost recent leak in my
Frigidaire icemaker, I'd take that seriously.

BTW, mytop of their line GE refrigerator has required service 5 times in 5
years for the same icemaker problem. All of the icemaker parts have been
replaced numerous times, but interestingly this time when the replacement
parts came from the factory it was obvious that a key component had been
completely redesigned. My very nice repairman called Frigidaire and asked if
there had been a recall regarding what he felt was an obvious design flaw, only
to have Frigidaire deny that there had been any changes in the design or
problems with the system.
That kind of balderdash does not inspire my confidence in Frigidaire's
products or customer service.
NT
Kswck

"Franfogel" > wrote in message
> This doesn't relate directly to food, but since the members of this

newsgroup
> spend a lot of time in their kitchens, I hope someone has an answer.
> My wonderful old Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher is on its last legs

(after
> 15 years!) and I have to replace it. I was told by a repairman that it's
> better to get one with mechanical controls, because the computerized
> "touchpads" on the new machines are eventually knocked out by the steam

from
> the dishwasher. It seems like only the low end models still have the
> mechanical controls.
> Can anyone recommend a reliable model to me, preferably with the

mechanical
> controls? The Kitchenaid and Maytag models that Consumer Reports

recommends
> have the touchpads. I don't need 27 cycles and ten wash arms--just

something
> reliable and sturdy. Thanks!
>
> Fran

Might want to check to see if there were any recalls on your model.
I got stuck on the GE recall a couple of years ago. In my case, the
dishwasher was recalled for a faulty switch. Eventually turned out it was a
ploy by GE to get new dishwashers purchased. I got my money back through a
class action that someone filed, but I was happier with the older model than
the new one.

As strange as it might sound, take a large pot that you frequently use, with
you. Try it in the dishwasher you are thinking of buying. There are high-end
machines that are virtually silent, but useless if they won't hold your
pots. The interiors of dishwashers are not all the same; it's not just one
model having more bells and whistles than the other.

PENMART01

>(Franfogel)
>
>My wonderful old Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher is on its last legs >(after

15 years!) and I have to replace it. I was told by a repairman that it's
>better to get one with mechanical controls, because the computerized
>"touchpads" on the new machines are eventually knocked out by the steam from
>the dishwasher. It seems like only the low end models still have the
>mechanical controls.
>Can anyone recommend a reliable model to me, preferably with the mechanical
>controls? The Kitchenaid and Maytag models that Consumer Reports recommends
>have the touchpads. I don't need 27 cycles and ten wash arms--just something
>reliable and sturdy.

You're probably too young to remember TVs with mechanical controls, gave lots
of grief and mechanical tuners were very expensive to repair/replace... and
kept many a fercocktah repairmen in a job... I ain't about to give up my remote
any time soon. And why are you using a PC, it's got electronic controls too.
Today's modern electronic controls are far more reliable than the old fashioned
clunky mechanicals.... and mechnicals are far, far, far more subject to failure
from excessive moisture. And somehow I don't believe your repairman exists,
you're just attempting to validate your cheap *******liness.... you want a low
end unit beccause you're a cheapskate, then buy one, but quit defending your
miserlyness by knocking what you know nothing about.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>My Maytag is 3-4 years old and I love it. It has touchpad controls.
>-
>-Barb

A year ago I replaced an old Hobart built Insinkrater with a new Maytag (got
the one with stainless interior), has touch pads... I love mine too (yes, I
reformed, I no longer do dishes by hand). And I don't really care that it has
more settings than I'll ever use... I don't watch all the TV channels either,
in fact out of the 300+ provided by my cable I essentially watch but 2. Heck,
until I moved a year ago I hadn't changed the station on my car radio since
1991... I found a station that isn't hillybilly or churchy, and haven't changed
that either.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
stark

In article >, NTANTIQUES
> wrote:

> Recently had a long chat with a very experienced, straight shooting appliance
> repairman who was fixing the $%$# icemaker on my GE Gallery fridge...his take
> was that the current best choice for appliances ( based on his recent
> experience with a wide variety of manufacturers & their products), was
> Whirlpool. My 5 year old GE dishwasher is ok, but no great shakes. Mr.
> Repairman said I've been lucky - he gets calls on more late model GE
> dishwashers than any of the other makes.
> NT

I'm sure your repairman is a straight shooter, but he may be getting
far more calls on GE model dishwashers because there are far more GEs
out there than other brands. Fact is every generation of appliance
seems to be less durable than the former. One reason is that every
generation is more complicated; another is that companies find cheaper
ways of making the same product at nearly the same price. The
paper-thin metal of my current electric range may next generation
actually be paper.
Curly Sue

On 29 Jun 2004 03:04:31 GMT, (Franfogel) wrote:

>This doesn't relate directly to food, but since the members of this newsgroup
>spend a lot of time in their kitchens, I hope someone has an answer.
>My wonderful old Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher is on its last legs (after
>15 years!) and I have to replace it. I was told by a repairman that it's
>better to get one with mechanical controls, because the computerized
>"touchpads" on the new machines are eventually knocked out by the steam from
>the dishwasher. It seems like only the low end models still have the
>mechanical controls.
>Can anyone recommend a reliable model to me, preferably with the mechanical
>controls? The Kitchenaid and Maytag models that Consumer Reports recommends
>have the touchpads. I don't need 27 cycles and ten wash arms--just something
>reliable and sturdy. Thanks!
>
>Fran

I agree with the others; I wouldn't worry about getting touchpad
controls. I have a Kenmore that I really like for the quietness and
features. It was the mid-range of the models available at the time,
but it is still very quiet. I made sure that I got one with a top
rack that can be raised and lowered, to accommodate big stuff. It
doesn't have a big pole in the middle like some of the older ones, so
there is no obstruction to washing big pans. It also has nice
features like clips on the top rack to hold small stuff, a nice
removable, utility basket, and of course a lot of cycles, some of
which I use on occasion.

I also use the delay start every so often. Last winter after my pipes
froze despite leaving some faucets on (and fortunately thawed without
event), I came up with another strategy of having the diswasher go on
at 1 am. I figured that using hot water in the middle of the night
during the 60 min cycle would keep things warm until I got up and
could run water again. I don't know if that was what kept the pipes
from freezing again, and I generally wouldn't run appliances when
sleeping, but I'd do it again under those circumstances.

Anyway, I like my Kenmore dishwasher a lot (it's 4 years old, knock on
wood :>).

Sue(tm)
Jack Schidt®

"Franfogel" > wrote in message
> This doesn't relate directly to food, but since the members of this

newsgroup
> spend a lot of time in their kitchens, I hope someone has an answer.
> My wonderful old Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher is on its last legs

(after
> 15 years!) and I have to replace it. I was told by a repairman that it's
> better to get one with mechanical controls, because the computerized
> "touchpads" on the new machines are eventually knocked out by the steam

from
> the dishwasher. It seems like only the low end models still have the
> mechanical controls.
> Can anyone recommend a reliable model to me, preferably with the

mechanical
> controls? The Kitchenaid and Maytag models that Consumer Reports

recommends
> have the touchpads. I don't need 27 cycles and ten wash arms--just

something
> reliable and sturdy. Thanks!
>
> Fran

I like features like delayed start and removable top rack. Other than that
it's just specs and price.

Jack Lavador

Franfogel > wrote:
> This doesn't relate directly to food, but since the members of this newsgroup
> spend a lot of time in their kitchens, I hope someone has an answer.
> My wonderful old Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher is on its last legs (after
> 15 years!) and I have to replace it. I was told by a repairman that it's
> better to get one with mechanical controls, because the computerized
> "touchpads" on the new machines are eventually knocked out by the steam from
> the dishwasher. It seems like only the low end models still have the
> mechanical controls.
> Can anyone recommend a reliable model to me, preferably with the mechanical
> controls? The Kitchenaid and Maytag models that Consumer Reports recommends
> have the touchpads. I don't need 27 cycles and ten wash arms--just something
> reliable and sturdy. Thanks!

Your best bet is to check Consumer Reports and eopinions.

Tony P.

In article >, says...
> Franfogel wrote:
>
> > This doesn't relate directly to food, but since the members of this newsgroup
> > spend a lot of time in their kitchens, I hope someone has an answer.
> > My wonderful old Hobart made Kitchenaid dishwasher is on its last legs (after
> > 15 years!) and I have to replace it. I was told by a repairman that it's
> > better to get one with mechanical controls, because the computerized
> > "touchpads" on the new machines are eventually knocked out by the steam from
> > the dishwasher. It seems like only the low end models still have the
> > mechanical controls.
> > Can anyone recommend a reliable model to me, preferably with the mechanical
> > controls? The Kitchenaid and Maytag models that Consumer Reports recommends
> > have the touchpads. I don't need 27 cycles and ten wash arms--just something
> > reliable and sturdy. Thanks!
> >
> > Fran

> We have a Frigidaire portable with mechanical controls. It has water
> heating, no center tower, and it does a great job. I don't think they
> make a portable anymore, but you probably want a built-in anyway. The
> Frigidaire has worked flawlessly for over 10 years even though my DW
> abuses and often destroys appliances.
>
> I also have a Frigidiare washing machine and 2 Frigidaire air
> conditioners and have been quite happy with all of them.

No experience with dishwashers but one of my AC units is a Frigidaire as
is my washing machine/dryer combo.

I had to modify the AC unit. Something happened and the nylon connector
they used to go through the mix wall melted down. Replaced it with
better connecters and waterproofed the whole thing and it's worked fine
ever since.

The washer and dryer have worked flawlessly for five years now.

sd

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> Frigidaire appliances aren't all made by the same company. Their
> front-loading washers are made by GE and are identical to the GE units.
> Other appliances are made by Electrolux, some of which carry a label that
> says "Frigidaire by Electrolux."

Actually, a few years ago, Electrolux (of Belgium; not the
vacuum-cleaner Electrolux) bought White Consolidated Industries,
Frigidaire's parent company. They are just starting to put their own
name on appliances, like the "Frigidaire by Electrolux" that you
mention.

Frigidaire actually manufactures those front-loading washers and
dryers for GE; they also make them for Sears, who sells them under the
Kenmore label. They also sell them as Frigidaires and, until recently,
as Gibsons, too. But they're all made by Electrolux/Frigidaire.

GE does sell a higher-line front-loader, but that one is built by LG
(a Korean company more people might recognize from their Goldstar
brand). Interestingly, GE's high-end Monogram line is mostly made by
other companies, not by GE. The Monogram dishwasher is built by Bosch;
the trash compactor by Braun, and the range by DCS (!).

> Maytag licenses their name to Fedders for
> the Maytag line of window AC units. You can never be sure these days who is
> making what.

Maytag is an even more confusing situation. A few years ago, Amana,
which made both appliances and HVAC equipment (air conditioners,
furnaces, etc.), was purchased by a company called Goodman. Goodman
held onto the HVAC business but sold the appliance company to Maytag.
Maytag agreed to license the Amana name back to Goodman so they can
continue selling Amana furnaces, etc., while they sell Amana
appliances. Maytag, as you noted, sold their _own_ name to Fedders for
home air conditioners. They are also starting to source some of their
appliances from LG.

As for the original question, I have an Asko (Swedish, you betcha)
which does a very good job using less water than I would, washing by
hand. Very quiet, too. I've had a couple of problems related to a poor
installation, but, other than that, have been happy with it. Oh, and
it comes with knobs and buttons, but it's not a cheapo dishwasher:
stainless steel tub, adjustable nylon racks, and a three-year warranty.

sd
Curly Sue

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:31:18 -0500, sd > wrote:

>Maytag is an even more confusing situation. A few years ago, Amana,
>which made both appliances and HVAC equipment (air conditioners,
>furnaces, etc.), was purchased by a company called Goodman. Goodman
>held onto the HVAC business but sold the appliance company to Maytag.
>Maytag agreed to license the Amana name back to Goodman so they can
>continue selling Amana furnaces, etc., while they sell Amana
>appliances.

Thanks for that excellent explanation. I have an old Amana AC and
need some information. Now I know why I have to go through Maytag!

>As for the original question, I have an Asko (Swedish, you betcha)
>which does a very good job using less water than I would, washing by
>hand.

I have a Kenmore and also noticed a significant drop in my water usage
compared to hand-washing when I bought it.

Sue(tm)
Tony P.

In article >,
says...
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > Frigidaire appliances aren't all made by the same company. Their
> > front-loading washers are made by GE and are identical to the GE units.
> > Other appliances are made by Electrolux, some of which carry a label that
> > says "Frigidaire by Electrolux."

> Actually, a few years ago, Electrolux (of Belgium; not the
> vacuum-cleaner Electrolux) bought White Consolidated Industries,
> Frigidaire's parent company. They are just starting to put their own
> name on appliances, like the "Frigidaire by Electrolux" that you
> mention.
>
> Frigidaire actually manufactures those front-loading washers and
> dryers for GE; they also make them for Sears, who sells them under the
> Kenmore label. They also sell them as Frigidaires and, until recently,
> as Gibsons, too. But they're all made by Electrolux/Frigidaire.
>
> GE does sell a higher-line front-loader, but that one is built by LG
> (a Korean company more people might recognize from their Goldstar
> brand). Interestingly, GE's high-end Monogram line is mostly made by
> other companies, not by GE. The Monogram dishwasher is built by Bosch;
> the trash compactor by Braun, and the range by DCS (!).

I've known for some time that GE is pretty much out of the business of
actually manufacturing consumer items. Instead they license the name to
different manufacturers. My GE television was actually made by Thompson.

GE does however still make train propulsion systems, jet turbines, and
some medical gear to name just a few.

So that's who LG is. I was wondering where they came from.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tony P." > wrote in message
> I've known for some time that GE is pretty much out of the business of
> actually manufacturing consumer items. Instead they license the name to
> different manufacturers. My GE television was actually made by Thompson.

Thompson owns the old GE plant in Syracuse as well as the RCA plant for TVs.
I think the Scranton PA plant has been closed now.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

> > Actually, a few years ago, Electrolux (of Belgium; not the
> > vacuum-cleaner Electrolux) bought White Consolidated Industries,
> > Frigidaire's parent company. They are just starting to put their own
> > name on appliances, like the "Frigidaire by Electrolux" that you
> > mention.

Going way back, Frigidaire was part of General Motors. White was a separate
company and merged with Westinghouse appliance division, later White
Westinghouse. Later they became White Consolidated Industries, later just
WCI. . They also bought out Edison Electric. The Edison plant was the
facility for air conditioners. They made them under assorted names,
Frigidaire, Philco, Sears, Crosley, and a few others that escape me now.
They reduced the number of name brands after a survey said consumers related
the Frigidaire name with quality. Amazing how long a good reputation can
linger even when they start to make crap.

Electrolux bought them about 6 or 8 years ago. Much of their manufacturing
moved off shore.
Ed

sd

In article >,
Tony P. > wrote:

> I've known for some time that GE is pretty much out of the business of
> actually manufacturing consumer items. Instead they license the name to
> different manufacturers. My GE television was actually made by Thompson.

GE still makes a fair number of appliances: ranges, most of their
refrigerators, top-load washers, dryers, dishwashers, ... But, yes, in
the consumer-goods area, they probably rebadge as much as they
actually manufacture.

sd
sd

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> They reduced the number of name brands after a survey said consumers related
> the Frigidaire name with quality. Amazing how long a good reputation can
> linger even when they start to make crap.

Actually, when Frigidaire was part of WCI, I wouldn't touch their
stuff with a pole. It was cheap and acted like it. However, Electrolux
has a much better reputation than that, and they've been turning
Frigidaire around. Aside from the bottom-of-the-line stuff (which is
suspect even if GE or Maytag makes it), the current product line is
pretty decent.

> > Electrolux bought them about 6 or 8 years ago. Much of their manufacturing

> moved off shore.

Frigidaire, BTW, has eleven manufacturing plants in the U.S.

sd

Edwin Pawlowski

"sd" > wrote in message news:sd55117-

> Actually, when Frigidaire was part of WCI, I wouldn't touch their
> stuff with a pole. It was cheap and acted like it. However, Electrolux
> has a much better reputation than that, and they've been turning
> Frigidaire around.

WCI is now owned by Electrolux as is the Frigidaire brand name. As a
supplier to one of their plants, I know what some of the components were and
what the priorities were. Price is a HUGE factor in thier buying decision.
They do have good quality standards for what they buy and expect from their
suppliers. Some lines are better than others. They have to compete on
price for the low end stuff so they will do whatever is necessary to meet a
price point. Blame us for that as we'll buy the appliance that is $5
cheaper at Wal Mart and throw it away in a year when it breaks. Rare is ther
person that actually cares that smething will last for a decade. A $5
difference in the whoseale proce means tens of thousands of units sold to
the big chains. Meet the competition or get out. As a supplier we were give
that ultimatum -25%. We declined.

> > > Electrolux bought them about 6 or 8 years ago. Much of their

manufacturing
> > moved off shore.

> Frigidaire, BTW, has eleven manufacturing plants in the U.S.

Plus one or two in Canada, one in Mexico.

New dishwasher Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 89 25-09-2011 06:58 PM
Dishwasher SOP tom General Cooking 0 26-01-2011 12:08 AM
(2009-08-12) NS-RFC: Another dishwasher question... ChattyCathy General Cooking 43 19-08-2009 07:37 AM
How to use a dishwasher The Real Bev[_3_] Cooking Equipment 0 14-05-2009 04:52 PM
Question for Bosch dishwasher owners Mitch General Cooking 28 23-03-2007 02:52 PM