Daisy

Default Fresh Fruit Compote

I have mislaid a recipe I once had for making strawberry compote. I
have an amount of fresh strawberries and would like to make a compote
for dinner tomorrow when the family arrive.

I have a feeling I used to boil up a syrup of sugar, water, and some
sort of red liqueur like cassis - or even port wine. I would add
some gelatine that had been dissolved in water (say about 1
tablespoon?) I would place the fresh strawberries in a bowl and
pour over the syrup/gelatine mixture and leave to set.

I cannot remember if the above is correct or not. Can anyone help
me?

Oh, I am in summer where I am. That's why I have extra strawberries.
But I think a compote should embrace other fresh fruits also.

Thanx

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
Reg

Daisy wrote:

> I have mislaid a recipe I once had for making strawberry compote. I
> have an amount of fresh strawberries and would like to make a compote
> for dinner tomorrow when the family arrive.
>
> I have a feeling I used to boil up a syrup of sugar, water, and some
> sort of red liqueur like cassis - or even port wine. I would add
> some gelatine that had been dissolved in water (say about 1
> tablespoon?) I would place the fresh strawberries in a bowl and
> pour over the syrup/gelatine mixture and leave to set.
>
> I cannot remember if the above is correct or not. Can anyone help
> me?

This doesn't use gelatin, but I don't think you need it.

Strawberry Compote

Recipe By : Emeril Lagasse
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Accompaniment Desserts

3 pints Fresh strawberries -- washed, patted dry,
and sliced
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Grand Marnier

In a non-reactive saucepan, over medium heat, combine 2 pints of the strawberries,
sugar and liquor. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer
until the fruit is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. In
a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, puree the strawberries until smooth.
Turn into a mixing bowl, and add the remaining sliced strawberries. Mix well.
This recipe yields about 2 cups.

Recipe Source:
EMERIL LIVE with Emeril Lagasse
From the TV FOOD NETWORK - (Show # EM-1C24)

Daisy

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 08:24:27 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Daisy wrote:
>
>> I have mislaid a recipe I once had for making strawberry compote. I
>> have an amount of fresh strawberries and would like to make a compote
>> for dinner tomorrow when the family arrive.
>>
>> I have a feeling I used to boil up a syrup of sugar, water, and some
>> sort of red liqueur like cassis - or even port wine. I would add
>> some gelatine that had been dissolved in water (say about 1
>> tablespoon?) I would place the fresh strawberries in a bowl and
>> pour over the syrup/gelatine mixture and leave to set.
>>
>> I cannot remember if the above is correct or not. Can anyone help
>> me?
>>

>This doesn't use gelatin, but I don't think you need it.
>
> Strawberry Compote
>
>Recipe By : Emeril Lagasse
>Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : Accompaniment Desserts

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 3 pints Fresh strawberries -- washed, patted dry,
> and sliced
> 1 cup Sugar
> 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
>
> In a non-reactive saucepan, over medium heat, combine 2 pints of the strawberries,
>sugar and liquor. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer
>until the fruit is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. In
>a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, puree the strawberries until smooth.
>Turn into a mixing bowl, and add the remaining sliced strawberries. Mix well.
> This recipe yields about 2 cups.
>
> Recipe Source:
>EMERIL LIVE with Emeril Lagasse
> From the TV FOOD NETWORK - (Show # EM-1C24)

Sorry - but this is nothing like any compote I have ever seen, or
experienced. The above is pureed strawberry - of which there are
literally hundreds of recipes around.

I want the recipe that does NOT heat the fruit in a pan, but leaves
the fruit whole in a bowl with a heated mixture over the top. I
simply cannot remember whether the mixture contained gelatine and
arrowroot or either of them. - and I need the amount of sugar and
water plus either the amount of gelatine and/or arrowroot.

Thanks for the reply though.
Cheers

Daisy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
Denise~*

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:16:49 +1300, Daisy >
wrote:

>Oh, I am in summer where I am. That's why I have extra strawberries.
>But I think a compote should embrace other fresh fruits also.

This one is from Cooks.com

STRAWBERRY & RHUBARB COMPOTE

1 qt. strawberries
2 1/2 c. rhubarb
1 5/8 c. water
4 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. cold water
Wash fruit, cook the rhubarb in water with the sugar, low heat. When
soft take out rhubarb, boil strawberries 2 minutes in same water; take
out, arrange with rhubarb in layers in bowl. Stir the cornstarch with
cold water until smooth. Stir into hot juice and boil 2 minutes,
stirring constantly. Pour over fruit. Serve hot or cold with cream.
Serves 6 to 8.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?

Fresh Fruit Salad Duckie ® Recipes 0 24-06-2005 11:32 PM
Frozen Fruit versus fresh fruit [email protected] Baking 2 03-02-2005 09:38 PM
Go Fresh Produce, Inc., Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Sulfites in Go Fresh Dried Fruit Mix Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-05-2004 01:33 AM
Champagne Zabaglione With Fresh Fruit Compote Sue Starfas Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2004 03:37 PM