Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Good-Bye

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:45:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> It actually is when you have an ill and elderly parent. Or a teenager
>> who
>> is driving.

> Or children, period. No matter how young or old they are, you want to
> be able to answer.

True. It's just that when mine was younger, she never really went many
places without me. Now she does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:27:07 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>>I remember being taught the word fortnight in elementary school.
>>It's not a word I'd use in conversation, but I've certainly
>>come across it in books. It's by no means an obscure word.

> Anyone who has read many British authors (Jane Austen et al) will have
> seen the word frequently.

I haven't read a lot of them. A few perhaps. Most of what I read is not
novels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 09:02:50 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>> >

>> Thank you. I already have a corded phone with an answering machine
>> (I know, the answering machine won't work if the power is out, that's no
>> biggie) in the den. I have an *old* trimline style corded wall phone in
>> the kitchen. The cost of the batteries for those cordless phones is
>> outrageous. I can live without a cordless phone. Lord knows we all
>> did, and not so very long ago.
>>

> I had cordless phones for years before going to cell phone only and
> frankly, if I ever needed to replace a battery (which I can't remember
> doing) - it wasn't costly enough to make any kind of an impression one
> way or the other.

I've had cordless for almost 20 years. Never replaced a battery. Have
replaced phones though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:14:47 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:27:07 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I remember being taught the word fortnight in elementary school.
>>>It's not a word I'd use in conversation, but I've certainly
>>>come across it in books. It's by no means an obscure word.

>> Anyone who has read many British authors (Jane Austen et al) will have
>> seen the word frequently.

>I haven't read a lot of them. A few perhaps. Most of what I read is not
>novels.

Indeed. You're more of a coupon reader.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:43:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > This sort of thing
>> > <http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG4772B-Dect_6-0-2-Handset-Telephone/dp/B0073W71IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414067973&sr=8-1&keywords=corded+cordless+phone>

>> But if you lose power then only the corded one will work.

> The original point was that ONE phone will still work during a power
> outage.

I know that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:44:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Really, Jill? Seriously. In your neck of the woods, how common is the
>> term
>> "fortnight"?

> I never hear anyone say it in real life here. It is an old fashioned
> word used in period movies, plays, TV shows and books. If I someone
> actually said it to me, I would consider it an anachronism and the
> person using it rather pretentious.

Me too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:18:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:43:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> But if you lose power then only the corded one will work.

>> The original point was that ONE phone will still work during a power
>> outage.

>I know that.

So... that explains even *less* why you said that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2014 1:42 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:44:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Really, Jill? Seriously. In your neck of the woods, how common is the term
>> "fortnight"?

> I never hear anyone say it in real life here. It is an old fashioned
> word used in period movies, plays, TV shows and books. If I someone
> actually said it to me, I would consider it an anachronism and the
> person using it rather pretentious.

I don't consider my neighbor to be pretentious. When I asked how long
she'd be gone (I was going to be cat-sitting) she said a fortnight.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/23/2014 1:42 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:44:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Really, Jill? Seriously. In your neck of the woods, how common is the
>>> term
>>> "fortnight"?

>> I never hear anyone say it in real life here. It is an old fashioned
>> word used in period movies, plays, TV shows and books. If I someone
>> actually said it to me, I would consider it an anachronism and the
>> person using it rather pretentious.
>>

> I don't consider my neighbor to be pretentious. When I asked how long
> she'd be gone (I was going to be cat-sitting) she said a fortnight.

Nobody has ever said that word to me. Not even the people I know who are
from the UK.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:27:16 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 10/23/2014 1:42 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:44:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> Really, Jill? Seriously. In your neck of the woods, how common is the term
> >> "fortnight"?

> > I never hear anyone say it in real life here. It is an old fashioned
> > word used in period movies, plays, TV shows and books. If I someone
> > actually said it to me, I would consider it an anachronism and the
> > person using it rather pretentious.
> >

> I don't consider my neighbor to be pretentious. When I asked how long
> she'd be gone (I was going to be cat-sitting) she said a fortnight.

And I'd be thinking "Did you really say that seriously?"

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:21:04 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:57:10 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> >On 10/23/2014 3:21 AM, Jeßus wrote:
> >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 23:47:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> Why would you cook it, only then to freeze it? WTF??
> >>

> >She does that with most, if not all, the meat she buys.

> OMG. I can't image destroying the Scotch fillets I buy by doing that.
> Or even just plain old ground beef.

Not bothering to Google, please explain what a Scotch Fillet is.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:27:16 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/23/2014 1:42 PM, sf wrote:
>> > On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:44:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > I never hear anyone say it in real life here. It is an old fashioned
>> > word used in period movies, plays, TV shows and books. If I someone
>> > actually said it to me, I would consider it an anachronism and the
>> > person using it rather pretentious.
>> >

>> I don't consider my neighbor to be pretentious. When I asked how long
>> she'd be gone (I was going to be cat-sitting) she said a fortnight.

> And I'd be thinking "Did you really say that seriously?"

Me too. When I have hired cat sitters, I was always very specific. I will
be leaving on this date and will be back on that date. And I will go so far
as to tell them the time that I plan to return.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:21:04 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:57:10 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >She does that with most, if not all, the meat she buys.

>> OMG. I can't image destroying the Scotch fillets I buy by doing that.
>> Or even just plain old ground beef.
>>

> Not bothering to Google, please explain what a Scotch Fillet is.

I don't know who the heck claimed that I freeze most if not all of the meat
that I buy. Totally untrue. I did do that big batch of inedible meat from
Albertsons. I had to throw it out as nobody would eat it. I will freeze
ham, cooked chicken, ground beef, meatloaves, and once in a while I will
take out a little of a beef roast and freeze it to be used later for soup.

I just cooked 4 steaks. Daughter ate one. 3 will go in the fridge. She
will be lucky if there is one remaining for her dinner tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 21:02:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:21:04 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>> OMG. I can't image destroying the Scotch fillets I buy by doing that.
>>> Or even just plain old ground beef.
>>>

>> Not bothering to Google, please explain what a Scotch Fillet is.

>I don't know who the heck claimed that I freeze most if not all of the meat
>that I buy. Totally untrue. I did do that big batch of inedible meat from
>Albertsons. I had to throw it out as nobody would eat it.

I'd like to know why it was inedible. Had it gone off, or is this
another case where your pitiful excuse for a family needs a collective
slap upside the head, told to STFU and eat what's put in front of
them?

>I will freeze
>ham, cooked chicken, ground beef, meatloaves, and once in a while I will
>take out a little of a beef roast and freeze it to be used later for soup.
>
>I just cooked 4 steaks. Daughter ate one. 3 will go in the fridge. She
>will be lucky if there is one remaining for her dinner tomorrow.

Why did you cook four steaks if they're not going to be eaten straight
away?? Why would you needlessly compromise the quality like that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 10/23/2014 1:42 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Oct 2014 22:44:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Really, Jill? Seriously. In your neck of the woods, how common is the term
>>> "fortnight"?

>> I never hear anyone say it in real life here. It is an old fashioned
>> word used in period movies, plays, TV shows and books. If I someone
>> actually said it to me, I would consider it an anachronism and the
>> person using it rather pretentious.
>>

>I don't consider my neighbor to be pretentious. When I asked how long
>she'd be gone (I was going to be cat-sitting) she said a fortnight.

god only knows why she thinks its pretentious. She has a really
snippy/mean perspective on many things though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:21:04 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:57:10 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>> >She does that with most, if not all, the meat she buys.

>> OMG. I can't image destroying the Scotch fillets I buy by doing that.
>> Or even just plain old ground beef.
>>

> Not bothering to Google, please explain what a Scotch Fillet is.

ribeye, but my first guess would have been a snide term, like "tube steak".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:07:21 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:21:04 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

>>> OMG. I can't image destroying the Scotch fillets I buy by doing that.
>>> Or even just plain old ground beef.
>>>

>> Not bothering to Google, please explain what a Scotch Fillet is.
>>

>ribeye, but my first guess would have been a snide term, like "tube steak".

Huh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-23 11:26 PM, sf wrote:

>> I don't consider my neighbor to be pretentious. When I asked how long
>> she'd be gone (I was going to be cat-sitting) she said a fortnight.

> And I'd be thinking "Did you really say that seriously?"

Would a soldier go on furlough for a fortnight?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-10-24 12:47 AM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 21:02:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Not bothering to Google, please explain what a Scotch Fillet is.

>> I don't know who the heck claimed that I freeze most if not all of the meat
>> that I buy. Totally untrue. I did do that big batch of inedible meat from
>> Albertsons. I had to throw it out as nobody would eat it.

> I'd like to know why it was inedible. Had it gone off, or is this
> another case where your pitiful excuse for a family needs a collective
> slap upside the head, told to STFU and eat what's put in front of
> them?

The claim was not that she freezes all or most of her meat. It was that
she cooks it and then freezes all or most of her meat, and it came from
her. It is yet another of the curiously idiotic claims she has made here
and is now denying.

>> I just cooked 4 steaks. Daughter ate one. 3 will go in the fridge. She
>> will be lucky if there is one remaining for her dinner tomorrow.

> Why did you cook four steaks if they're not going to be eaten straight
> away?? Why would you needlessly compromise the quality like that?

There you go... cooked steaks and then put them in the fridge to be
eaten later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-10-23 11:26 PM, sf wrote:
>
>>> I don't consider my neighbor to be pretentious. When I asked how long
>>> she'd be gone (I was going to be cat-sitting) she said a fortnight.

>> And I'd be thinking "Did you really say that seriously?"
>>

> Would a soldier go on furlough for a fortnight?

perhaps if he was a fusilier named Forsythe from Framptonham.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/10/2014 7:27 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

>>> And I'd be thinking "Did you really say that seriously?"
>>>

>> Would a soldier go on furlough for a fortnight?

> perhaps if he was a fusilier named Forsythe from Framptonham.

Or Framlingham!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 24/10/2014 7:27 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

>>> Would a soldier go on furlough for a fortnight?

>> perhaps if he was a fusilier named Forsythe from Framptonham.
>>

> Or Framlingham!
> Graham

you are thinking of his fiancé Frances.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:51:02 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:27:16 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

> >I don't consider my neighbor to be pretentious. When I asked how long
> >she'd be gone (I was going to be cat-sitting) she said a fortnight.

> god only knows why she thinks its pretentious. She has a really
> snippy/mean perspective on many things though.

Where did you say you are - Tasmania? I know someone who lives in
Australia, so I'll ask how often she hears "fortnight" over there. So
far, only one person has heard anyone say it not in jest (or so she
seems to think).

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:07:21 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:21:04 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> >> OMG. I can't image destroying the Scotch fillets I buy by doing that.
> >> Or even just plain old ground beef.
> >>

> > Not bothering to Google, please explain what a Scotch Fillet is.
> >

> ribeye, but my first guess would have been a snide term, like "tube steak".

Do you have any idea why a rib eye is "Scotch"?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, October 24, 2014 4:18:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:13:00 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:51:02 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> >> god only knows why she thinks its pretentious. She has a really
> >> snippy/mean perspective on many things though.

> >Where did you say you are - Tasmania? I know someone who lives in
> >Australia, so I'll ask how often she hears "fortnight" over there. So
> >far, only one person has heard anyone say it not in jest (or so she
> >seems to think).

> Tasmania is different to mainland Australia

Who the **** cares?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/23/2014 11:28 PM, sf wrote:

>> OMG. I can't image destroying the Scotch fillets I buy by doing that.
>> Or even just plain old ground beef.
>>

> Not bothering to Google, please explain what a Scotch Fillet is.

Rib eye, boneless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:13:00 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:51:02 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:27:16 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I don't consider my neighbor to be pretentious. When I asked how long
>> >she'd be gone (I was going to be cat-sitting) she said a fortnight.

>> god only knows why she thinks its pretentious. She has a really
>> snippy/mean perspective on many things though.

>Where did you say you are - Tasmania? I know someone who lives in
>Australia, so I'll ask how often she hears "fortnight" over there.

LOL. Go ahead, don't take my word for it. I've only lived here for 50
years and I already know the answer you'll get.

> So far, only one person has heard anyone say it not in jest (or so she
>seems to think).

One person from where and what?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:19:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-10-24 12:47 AM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 21:02:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't know who the heck claimed that I freeze most if not all of the meat
>>> that I buy. Totally untrue. I did do that big batch of inedible meat from
>>> Albertsons. I had to throw it out as nobody would eat it.

>> I'd like to know why it was inedible. Had it gone off, or is this
>> another case where your pitiful excuse for a family needs a collective
>> slap upside the head, told to STFU and eat what's put in front of
>> them?

>The claim was not that she freezes all or most of her meat.

I know. She was just twisting words again a little, like she always
does in these situations.

>It was that
>she cooks it and then freezes all or most of her meat, and it came from
>her. It is yet another of the curiously idiotic claims she has made here
>and is now denying.

Yep.

>>> I just cooked 4 steaks. Daughter ate one. 3 will go in the fridge. She
>>> will be lucky if there is one remaining for her dinner tomorrow.

>> Why did you cook four steaks if they're not going to be eaten straight
>> away?? Why would you needlessly compromise the quality like that?

>There you go... cooked steaks and then put them in the fridge to be
>eaten later.

She's like the anti-everything I think is right and sensible...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:34:27 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> says...

>> > And yet you're making fun of Americans who don't.

>> Your own countrymen laugh at you and Julie, that's hardly my fault.
>>

> Those "countrymen" are fools.

Seriously! Nobody talks like that here except in jest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 22:07:21 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:

>> > Not bothering to Google, please explain what a Scotch Fillet is.
>> >

>> ribeye, but my first guess would have been a snide term, like "tube
>> steak".
>>

> Do you have any idea why a rib eye is "Scotch"?

nope. maybe a decent cheaper cut for the "thrifty"? No idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 08:50:23 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:13:00 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:51:02 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> >> god only knows why she thinks its pretentious. She has a really
> >> snippy/mean perspective on many things though.

> >Where did you say you are - Tasmania? I know someone who lives in
> >Australia, so I'll ask how often she hears "fortnight" over there.

> LOL. Go ahead, don't take my word for it. I've only lived here for 50
> years and I already know the answer you'll get.
>
> > So far, only one person has heard anyone say it not in jest (or so she
> >seems to think).

> One person from where and what?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 08:50:23 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:13:00 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 15:51:02 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> >> god only knows why she thinks its pretentious. She has a really
> >> snippy/mean perspective on many things though.

> >Where did you say you are - Tasmania? I know someone who lives in
> >Australia, so I'll ask how often she hears "fortnight" over there.

> LOL. Go ahead, don't take my word for it. I've only lived here for 50
> years and I already know the answer you'll get.
>
> > So far, only one person has heard anyone say it not in jest (or so she
> >seems to think).

> One person from where and what?

Did you bother to read anything before you posted this reply?

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.