Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default vinegar and my dishwasher

I read a tip the other day about using white vinegar as a replacement
for commercial rinse agents in the dishwasher. I needed to refill the
dispenser anyway, so I decided to give vinegar a shot. This is the
third load I've run and my dishes are squeaky clean. Yes, I can
actually feel (and hear) the difference. I was afraid my glasses
would come out spotty, but that hasn't been a problem so far.

So, try it the next time you need to refill your rinse dispenser and
see if vinegar works for you. YMMV because my tap water is naturally
soft, but I think it's worth a shot anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2013 11:05 AM, sf wrote:

> I read a tip the other day about using white vinegar as a replacement
> for commercial rinse agents in the dishwasher. I needed to refill the
> dispenser anyway, so I decided to give vinegar a shot. This is the
> third load I've run and my dishes are squeaky clean. Yes, I can
> actually feel (and hear) the difference. I was afraid my glasses
> would come out spotty, but that hasn't been a problem so far.
>
> So, try it the next time you need to refill your rinse dispenser and
> see if vinegar works for you. YMMV because my tap water is naturally
> soft, but I think it's worth a shot anyway.

Thanks, sf, I'll give it a try in the dishwasher.

White vinegar is useful for a lot of things. I use it to clean the
coffee maker. Also to clean my jewelry. When combined with a pinch of
baking soda and water it foams like a 1950's sci-fi special effect. It
cleans non-porous gemstones and silver wonderfully.

http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7

All this simply to say, white vinegar has many good uses.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I read a tip the other day about using white vinegar as a replacement
> for commercial rinse agents in the dishwasher. I needed to refill the
> dispenser anyway, so I decided to give vinegar a shot. This is the
> third load I've run and my dishes are squeaky clean. Yes, I can
> actually feel (and hear) the difference. I was afraid my glasses
> would come out spotty, but that hasn't been a problem so far.
>
> So, try it the next time you need to refill your rinse dispenser and
> see if vinegar works for you. YMMV because my tap water is naturally
> soft, but I think it's worth a shot anyway.

Nice that it's working so well. I haven't tried it yet myself, but the
place I read about the vinegar trick said to not use it in the dispenser
as it will damage the seal over time, but to place it in a little dish
on the back of the top rack instead.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/04/2013 12:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> White vinegar is useful for a lot of things. I use it to clean the
> coffee maker. Also to clean my jewelry. When combined with a pinch of
> baking soda and water it foams like a 1950's sci-fi special effect. It
> cleans non-porous gemstones and silver wonderfully.

I use it for weed killer. We can't use the old weed killers and
herbicides we used to and the eco friendly weed killers for sale are
ineffective or outrageously expensive. I use vinegar in a spray bottle
and apply it directly to the weeds. I add a little dish detergent to
break the surface tension so it will get right to the surface of the
leaves. It works and it is cheap. The only problem is that is kills
everything so you can't area spray.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:17:11 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 4/29/2013 11:05 AM, sf wrote:
> >
> > I read a tip the other day about using white vinegar as a replacement
> > for commercial rinse agents in the dishwasher. I needed to refill the
> > dispenser anyway, so I decided to give vinegar a shot. This is the
> > third load I've run and my dishes are squeaky clean. Yes, I can
> > actually feel (and hear) the difference. I was afraid my glasses
> > would come out spotty, but that hasn't been a problem so far.
> >
> > So, try it the next time you need to refill your rinse dispenser and
> > see if vinegar works for you. YMMV because my tap water is naturally
> > soft, but I think it's worth a shot anyway.
> >

> Thanks, sf, I'll give it a try in the dishwasher.
>
> White vinegar is useful for a lot of things. I use it to clean the
> coffee maker. Also to clean my jewelry. When combined with a pinch of
> baking soda and water it foams like a 1950's sci-fi special effect. It
> cleans non-porous gemstones and silver wonderfully.
>
> http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7
>
> All this simply to say, white vinegar has many good uses.

I just learned it's also used as a fabric softener replacement too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 09:23:31 -0700, Marcella Peek
> wrote:

> Nice that it's working so well. I haven't tried it yet myself, but the
> place I read about the vinegar trick said to not use it in the dispenser
> as it will damage the seal over time, but to place it in a little dish
> on the back of the top rack instead.

Thanks for mentioning that! Did they say how much vinegar to put in
the dish?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 12:48*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:17:11 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

> > On 4/29/2013 11:05 AM, sf wrote:

> > > I read a tip the other day about using white vinegar as a replacement
> > > for commercial rinse agents in the dishwasher. *I needed to refill the
> > > dispenser anyway, so I decided to give vinegar a shot. *This is the
> > > third load I've run and my dishes are squeaky clean. *Yes, I can
> > > actually feel (and hear) the difference. *I was afraid my glasses
> > > would come out spotty, but that hasn't been a problem so far.

> > > So, try it the next time you need to refill your rinse dispenser and
> > > see if vinegar works for you. *YMMV because my tap water is naturally
> > > soft, but I think it's worth a shot anyway.

> > Thanks, sf, I'll give it a try in the dishwasher.

> > White vinegar is useful for a lot of things. *I use it to clean the
> > coffee maker. *Also to clean my jewelry. *When combined with a pinch of
> > baking soda and water it foams like a 1950's sci-fi special effect. *It
> > cleans non-porous gemstones and silver wonderfully.

> >http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7

> > All this simply to say, white vinegar has many good uses.

> I just learned it's also used as a fabric softener replacement too!

It's a dessert topping!

No, it's a floor wax!

It's a dessert topping *and* a floor wax!

--
Silvar Beitel
(showing his age)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 10:40*am, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
> On Apr 29, 12:48*pm, sf > wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:17:11 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> > > Thanks, sf, I'll give it a try in the dishwasher.

> > > White vinegar is useful for a lot of things. *I use it to clean the
> > > coffee maker. *Also to clean my jewelry. *When combined with a pinch of
> > > baking soda and water it foams like a 1950's sci-fi special effect. *It
> > > cleans non-porous gemstones and silver wonderfully.

> > >http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7

> > > All this simply to say, white vinegar has many good uses.

> > I just learned it's also used as a fabric softener replacement too!

> It's a dessert topping!
>
> No, it's a floor wax!
>
> It's a dessert topping *and* a floor wax!
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel
> (showing his age)

LOL- I said something regarding cheeseburgers and Pepsi (no Coke,
Pepsi) to a co-worker the other day, and she had no idea of what I was
talking about and thought I was weird!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2013 1:44 PM, merryb wrote:
> On Apr 29, 10:40 am, Silvar Beitel > wrote:
>> On Apr 29, 12:48 pm, sf > wrote:

>>> I just learned it's also used as a fabric softener replacement too!

>> It's a dessert topping!
>>
>> No, it's a floor wax!
>>
>> It's a dessert topping *and* a floor wax!
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel
>> (showing his age)

> LOL- I said something regarding cheeseburgers and Pepsi (no Coke,
> Pepsi) to a co-worker the other day, and she had no idea of what I was
> talking about and thought I was weird!

You must admit, those episodes of SNL are rather old.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 29, 1:41*pm, jmcquown > wrote:

> You must admit, those episodes of SNL are rather old.
>
> Jill

yeah, but they were about the only funny ones.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2013 5:05 AM, sf wrote:

> I read a tip the other day about using white vinegar as a replacement
> for commercial rinse agents in the dishwasher. I needed to refill the
> dispenser anyway, so I decided to give vinegar a shot. This is the
> third load I've run and my dishes are squeaky clean. Yes, I can
> actually feel (and hear) the difference. I was afraid my glasses
> would come out spotty, but that hasn't been a problem so far.
>
> So, try it the next time you need to refill your rinse dispenser and
> see if vinegar works for you. YMMV because my tap water is naturally
> soft, but I think it's worth a shot anyway.

I will try your idea. I've never used any rinsing agents before but
maybe my dishes haven't been getting as squeaky clean as they should.
I've been using County Time Lemonade mix to keep my dishwasher clean. It
does a great job removing mineral streaks on the stainless steel but it
might be causing my screen filter to corrode and clog up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Apr 29, 1:41 pm, jmcquown > wrote:
>

>> You must admit, those episodes of SNL are rather old.
>>
>> Jill

> yeah, but they were about the only funny ones.....

The original cast was funny. After that? There might be a little humor
here and there but certainly not enough to make me want to watch the show.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 1:41*pm, jmcquown > wrote:
> On 4/29/2013 1:44 PM, merryb wrote:

> >> It's a dessert topping!

> >> No, it's a floor wax!

> >> It's a dessert topping *and* a floor wax!

> >> --
> >> Silvar Beitel
> >> (showing his age)

> > LOL- I said something regarding cheeseburgers and Pepsi (no Coke,
> > Pepsi) to a co-worker the other day, and she had no idea of what I was
> > talking about and thought I was weird!

> You must admit, those episodes of SNL are rather old.
>
> Jill

So am I!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2013 11:54 AM, merryb wrote:
> On Apr 29, 1:41 pm, jmcquown > wrote:

>>> LOL- I said something regarding cheeseburgers and Pepsi (no Coke,
>>> Pepsi) to a co-worker the other day, and she had no idea of what I was
>>> talking about and thought I was weird!

>> You must admit, those episodes of SNL are rather old.
>>
>> Jill

> So am I!

I remember those original episodes, too, back when the show was actually
LIVE from NY! Apparently this is how AARP decided I'm a senior citizen

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/04/2013 1:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> You must admit, those episodes of SNL are rather old.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> So am I!
>>

> I remember those original episodes, too, back when the show was actually
> LIVE from NY! Apparently this is how AARP decided I'm a senior citizen

That was back in the days when they had new ideas and they kept sketches
short. I have not been able to watch SNL for years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:40:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> So am I!
>>>

>> I remember those original episodes, too, back when the show was actually
>> LIVE from NY! Apparently this is how AARP decided I'm a senior citizen
>>

>That was back in the days when they had new ideas and they kept sketches
>short. I have not been able to watch SNL for years.

I used to love SNL, but that was about 20 years ago before I stopped
watching, it began to suck big time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:40:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> I remember those original episodes, too, back when the show was actually
>>> LIVE from NY! Apparently this is how AARP decided I'm a senior citizen
>>>

>>That was back in the days when they had new ideas and they kept sketches
>>short. I have not been able to watch SNL for years.

> I used to love SNL, but that was about 20 years ago before I stopped
> watching, it began to suck big time.

I dunno...toonces the driving cat was hilarious...Chris Farley couldn't
not be funny, unless he was in a movie ... I loved Wayne & Garth ...
Church Lady ... What's that? It's Pat! - they all cracked me up

the show has had plenty of talent over the years ... I rarely watch
any more though

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2013 2:20 PM, tert in seattle wrote:

> I dunno...toonces the driving cat was hilarious...Chris Farley couldn't
> not be funny, unless he was in a movie ... I loved Wayne & Garth ...
> Church Lady ... What's that? It's Pat! - they all cracked me up
>
> the show has had plenty of talent over the years ... I rarely watch
> any more though

The performers are talented, but SNL needs new writers. Why waste money
on such good talent, when they have no material. I watch Weekend Update
and skip through the rest.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2013 2:40 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> So am I!
>>>

>> I remember those original episodes, too, back when the show was actually
>> LIVE from NY! Apparently this is how AARP decided I'm a senior
>> citizen
>>

> That was back in the days when they had new ideas and they kept sketches
> short. I have not been able to watch SNL for years.

Same here. For us old farts, nothing beats the original cast.

Jill

New dishwasher Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 89 25-09-2011 06:58 PM
dishwasher? Storrmmee General Cooking 117 03-03-2011 04:02 AM
Dishwasher SOP tom General Cooking 0 26-01-2011 12:08 AM
What do u use your dishwasher for? sandy General Cooking 73 03-10-2004 06:14 AM
Rice Vinegar and Rice Wine Vinegar are the same thing Nancree General Cooking 11 13-04-2004 12:17 PM