Steve Calvin

Default Hudson Valley Garlic Festival report.

We got there shortly after it opened so it wasn't too crowded at that
point. TONS of great food. Had a pulled pork sandwich. The guy had 5
large offset smokers going with whole piggies on 'em. He'd obviously
been up all night tending them. Very good except his sauce, which he
said that I just *had* to try was a bit too sweet for me.

After that, a walk around to checkout all of the wares that folks had
for sale. Then on to the steak sandwich place. Absolutely fantastic.
Steak, grilled onions, green and red peppers, garlic (of course) and
Cheese Whiz. Excellent, but by then I was full to the top.

At least I thought so until I saw the garlic ice cream stand. Every
year for the last 10 years I've *toyed* with the idea of trying it.
This year I said "that's it, I'm gonna do it." So up I go and got a
cup of it. I took a taste and was pleasantly surprised. Just a hint of
roasted garlic in vanilla ice cream. It was actually pretty darned
good. I offered a friend of mine a spoonful as we were walking away
and then asked what he thought. To which he replied "I think that I'm
goin' back and get some!" It really was very good, much to my surprise.

After that, on to the garlic purchases to get me through the winter
and enough for planting a good sized crop next month. I got German Red
and White and a new one (at least for me) called Italian Purple Skin.
It's got a heck of a bite to it. Almost like German Red but it's
different somehow, haven't been able to put a finger on it yet.

My neighbor asked me to pick her up 20 bulbs of Music garlic. I'd
never heard of it, but I did find some. It was tasty as well but more
of a sweet taste. I got a couple of heads for me too "just because"
but I don't plan on planting it.

Thank heaven we got there at about 10:15a.m. 'cause when we were
trying to fight the mob to get to the exit is was nothing but a sea of
people. I'd bet that their attendance is over fifty thousand this
weekend from the looks of it.

So, dinner tonight is venison medallions (med rare of course),
caramelized onions with mushrooms, a "garden" salad, and garlic mashed
yukon gold potatoes. :-)

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

kilikini

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> We got there shortly after it opened so it wasn't too crowded at that
> point. TONS of great food. Had a pulled pork sandwich. The guy had 5
> large offset smokers going with whole piggies on 'em. He'd obviously
> been up all night tending them. Very good except his sauce, which he
> said that I just *had* to try was a bit too sweet for me.
>
> After that, a walk around to checkout all of the wares that folks had
> for sale. Then on to the steak sandwich place. Absolutely fantastic.
> Steak, grilled onions, green and red peppers, garlic (of course) and
> Cheese Whiz. Excellent, but by then I was full to the top.
>
> At least I thought so until I saw the garlic ice cream stand. Every
> year for the last 10 years I've *toyed* with the idea of trying it.
> This year I said "that's it, I'm gonna do it." So up I go and got a
> cup of it. I took a taste and was pleasantly surprised. Just a hint of
> roasted garlic in vanilla ice cream. It was actually pretty darned
> good. I offered a friend of mine a spoonful as we were walking away
> and then asked what he thought. To which he replied "I think that I'm
> goin' back and get some!" It really was very good, much to my surprise.
>
> After that, on to the garlic purchases to get me through the winter
> and enough for planting a good sized crop next month. I got German Red
> and White and a new one (at least for me) called Italian Purple Skin.
> It's got a heck of a bite to it. Almost like German Red but it's
> different somehow, haven't been able to put a finger on it yet.
>
> My neighbor asked me to pick her up 20 bulbs of Music garlic. I'd
> never heard of it, but I did find some. It was tasty as well but more
> of a sweet taste. I got a couple of heads for me too "just because"
> but I don't plan on planting it.
>
> Thank heaven we got there at about 10:15a.m. 'cause when we were
> trying to fight the mob to get to the exit is was nothing but a sea of
> people. I'd bet that their attendance is over fifty thousand this
> weekend from the looks of it.
>
> So, dinner tonight is venison medallions (med rare of course),
> caramelized onions with mushrooms, a "garden" salad, and garlic mashed
> yukon gold potatoes. :-)
>
> --
> Steve
>
> Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
> when you make it again.

Oh Steve, that sounds so good! I've always wanted to go to a garlic
festival! Your story makes me doubly want to go! (I've always been curious
about the ice cream too.) Nice writing and I'm glad you had a good time.

kili

The Wolf

Where was this festival held?

kilikini > wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> > We got there shortly after it opened so it wasn't too crowded at that
> > point. TONS of great food. Had a pulled pork sandwich. The guy had 5
> > large offset smokers going with whole piggies on 'em. He'd obviously
> > been up all night tending them. Very good except his sauce, which he
> > said that I just *had* to try was a bit too sweet for me.
> >
> > After that, a walk around to checkout all of the wares that folks had
> > for sale. Then on to the steak sandwich place. Absolutely fantastic.
> > Steak, grilled onions, green and red peppers, garlic (of course) and
> > Cheese Whiz. Excellent, but by then I was full to the top.
> >
> > At least I thought so until I saw the garlic ice cream stand. Every
> > year for the last 10 years I've *toyed* with the idea of trying it.
> > This year I said "that's it, I'm gonna do it." So up I go and got a
> > cup of it. I took a taste and was pleasantly surprised. Just a hint of
> > roasted garlic in vanilla ice cream. It was actually pretty darned
> > good. I offered a friend of mine a spoonful as we were walking away
> > and then asked what he thought. To which he replied "I think that I'm
> > goin' back and get some!" It really was very good, much to my surprise.
> >
> > After that, on to the garlic purchases to get me through the winter
> > and enough for planting a good sized crop next month. I got German Red
> > and White and a new one (at least for me) called Italian Purple Skin.
> > It's got a heck of a bite to it. Almost like German Red but it's
> > different somehow, haven't been able to put a finger on it yet.
> >
> > My neighbor asked me to pick her up 20 bulbs of Music garlic. I'd
> > never heard of it, but I did find some. It was tasty as well but more
> > of a sweet taste. I got a couple of heads for me too "just because"
> > but I don't plan on planting it.
> >
> > Thank heaven we got there at about 10:15a.m. 'cause when we were
> > trying to fight the mob to get to the exit is was nothing but a sea of
> > people. I'd bet that their attendance is over fifty thousand this
> > weekend from the looks of it.
> >
> > So, dinner tonight is venison medallions (med rare of course),
> > caramelized onions with mushrooms, a "garden" salad, and garlic mashed
> > yukon gold potatoes. :-)
> >
> > --
> > Steve
> >
> > Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
> > when you make it again.
> >

> Oh Steve, that sounds so good! I've always wanted to go to a garlic
> festival! Your story makes me doubly want to go! (I've always been curious
> about the ice cream too.) Nice writing and I'm glad you had a good time.
>
> kili

Steve Calvin

The Wolf wrote:
> Where was this festival held?

Saugerties, NY http://www.hvgf.org/

It's always the third weekend in September. I posted a message about
it here about a month or so ago.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin

The Wolf wrote:
> Where was this festival held?

Saugerties, NY http://www.hvgf.org/

It's always the third weekend in September. I posted a message about
it here about a month or so ago.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

The Wolf

Thanks,

I am from a small villiage less than 30 miles away. Will make it a point
to attend in the future.

Steve Calvin > wrote:

> The Wolf wrote:
> > Where was this festival held?
> >

> Saugerties, NY http://www.hvgf.org/
>
> It's always the third weekend in September. I posted a message about
> it here about a month or so ago.

The Wolf

Steve Calvin > wrote:

> The Wolf wrote:
> > Where was this festival held?
> >

> Saugerties, NY http://www.hvgf.org/
>
> It's always the third weekend in September. I posted a message about
> it here about a month or so ago.

Steve Calvin

The Wolf wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I am from a small villiage less than 30 miles away. Will make it a point
> to attend in the future.
>
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>The Wolf wrote:
>>
>>>Where was this festival held?
>>>

>>Saugerties, NY http://www.hvgf.org/
>>
>>It's always the third weekend in September. I posted a message about
>>it here about a month or so ago.

Good time, great food (if you like garlic). Go early. It opens at
10:00am. By the time we left at around 12:30pm it was nothing but a
sea of people.

Poughkeepsie here, btw.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin

The Wolf wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> I am from a small villiage less than 30 miles away. Will make it a point
> to attend in the future.
>
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>The Wolf wrote:
>>
>>>Where was this festival held?
>>>

>>Saugerties, NY http://www.hvgf.org/
>>
>>It's always the third weekend in September. I posted a message about
>>it here about a month or so ago.

Good time, great food (if you like garlic). Go early. It opens at
10:00am. By the time we left at around 12:30pm it was nothing but a
sea of people.

Poughkeepsie here, btw.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

sf

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:43:08 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

> Good time, great food (if you like garlic). Go early. It opens at
> 10:00am. By the time we left at around 12:30pm it was nothing but a
> sea of people.

The sea of people is the same... but it's very odd to hear
about an E. Coast Garlic Festival! Gilroy has been the only
on my radar screen all these years.

sf

sf

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:43:08 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

> Good time, great food (if you like garlic). Go early. It opens at
> 10:00am. By the time we left at around 12:30pm it was nothing but a
> sea of people.

The sea of people is the same... but it's very odd to hear
about an E. Coast Garlic Festival! Gilroy has been the only
on my radar screen all these years.

sf
Steve Calvin

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:43:08 -0400, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>

>> Good time, great food (if you like garlic). Go early. It opens at
>> 10:00am. By the time we left at around 12:30pm it was nothing but a
>> sea of people.
>>

> The sea of people is the same... but it's very odd to hear
> about an E. Coast Garlic Festival! Gilroy has been the only
> on my radar screen all these years.
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Not unusual. No one thinks of garlic in the East. Gilroy always comes
to mind. This festival has been going since about 1989 or so. I'd be
willing to bet that they had 50K+ people attending in the two days
this year.

There are a *lot* of garlic growers in NY. Most of the vendors were
locals. (Well, the ones selling the garlic anyhow. I can't say for the
foodies)

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:43:08 -0400, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>

>> Good time, great food (if you like garlic). Go early. It opens at
>> 10:00am. By the time we left at around 12:30pm it was nothing but a
>> sea of people.
>>

> The sea of people is the same... but it's very odd to hear
> about an E. Coast Garlic Festival! Gilroy has been the only
> on my radar screen all these years.
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Not unusual. No one thinks of garlic in the East. Gilroy always comes
to mind. This festival has been going since about 1989 or so. I'd be
willing to bet that they had 50K+ people attending in the two days
this year.

There are a *lot* of garlic growers in NY. Most of the vendors were
locals. (Well, the ones selling the garlic anyhow. I can't say for the
foodies)

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Puester

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:43:08 -0400, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>
> > Good time, great food (if you like garlic). Go early. It opens at
> > 10:00am. By the time we left at around 12:30pm it was nothing but a
> > sea of people.
> >

> The sea of people is the same... but it's very odd to hear
> about an E. Coast Garlic Festival! Gilroy has been the only
> on my radar screen all these years.
>

> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I've attended a garlic festival on the island of Oland in
Sweden. I still have a tiny enameled pin in the shape of
a head of garlic that I bought there. The organizers had
been to Gilroy to get ideas.

gloria p
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Good time, great food (if you like garlic). Go early. It opens at 10:00am.
> By the time we left at around 12:30pm it was nothing but a sea of people.
>
> Poughkeepsie here, btw.

I happened to be passing through Saugerties on Saturday afternoon about
4:30. Traffic was crawling through town and did not let up until we got
past the festival grounds.
The Hudson Valley is a nice place to spend a few days just meandering around
and seeing some of the historical sights. Wineries along the way also.

Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> I happened to be passing through Saugerties on Saturday afternoon about
> 4:30. Traffic was crawling through town and did not let up until we got
> past the festival grounds.
> The Hudson Valley is a nice place to spend a few days just meandering around
> and seeing some of the historical sights. Wineries along the way also.

If you want to see fall color wait a few weeks and head into New
Paltz. Take 299 west through town and keep going on it. About 7 miles
or so outside of New Paltz you'll come to a tee with route 44/55. Take
a right and that will take up up over what's called Minnewaska
Mountain. There will probably be a lot of hikers and rock climbers on
top so drive carefully. That road goes on for, oh I dunno, 20 miles.
Very pretty views of the valley with fall colors. If you go, give
yourself plenty of time for stops and definately bring a camera and
extra film.

If you'd like to get an idea of what it would look like, heres a link
of some pictures that I took in that area last fall.

http://www.picturetrail.com/stevecalvin
And select the Fall 2003 Folder.

--
Steve

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.

Steve Calvin