Larry G

Default Well I made my steak......

Very delicious. I decided to fry it in olive oil with salt and pepper. Boy
was it delicious. Some thoughts: even fried in olive oil, it left no feeling
of grease as in food such as frying hamburger patties in their own juice for
example. I'd forgotten how a good cut of beef can taste.

I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.

Larry

Goomba38

Larry G wrote:

> I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
>
> Larry

No, a meat tenderizer won't make gristle
disappear. You just have to buy better cuts of
meat. What cut did you end up frying?
Goomba

Goomba38

Larry G wrote:

> I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
>
> Larry

No, a meat tenderizer won't make gristle
disappear. You just have to buy better cuts of
meat. What cut did you end up frying?
Goomba

Larry G

"Goomba38" > wrote in message ...
> Larry G wrote:
>
> > I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> > gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> > tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
> >
> > Larry

> No, a meat tenderizer won't make gristle
> disappear. You just have to buy better cuts of
> meat. What cut did you end up frying?
> Goomba

Boneless beef chuck. I probably should've gone for the New York. What are
the best cuts?

Larry

Larry G

"Goomba38" > wrote in message ...
> Larry G wrote:
>
> > I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> > gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> > tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
> >
> > Larry

> No, a meat tenderizer won't make gristle
> disappear. You just have to buy better cuts of
> meat. What cut did you end up frying?
> Goomba

Boneless beef chuck. I probably should've gone for the New York. What are
the best cuts?

Larry

Larry G

"Goomba38" > wrote in message ...
> Larry G wrote:
>
> > I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> > gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> > tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
> >
> > Larry

> No, a meat tenderizer won't make gristle
> disappear. You just have to buy better cuts of
> meat. What cut did you end up frying?
> Goomba

Boneless beef chuck. I probably should've gone for the New York. What are
the best cuts?

Larry

PENMART01

"Larry G writes:

>"Goomba38" wrote:
>> Larry G wrote:
>>
>> > I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
>> > gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
>> > tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.

>> No, a meat tenderizer won't make gristle
>> disappear. You just have to buy better cuts of
>> meat. What cut did you end up frying?

>Boneless beef chuck. I probably should've gone for the New York. What are
>the best cuts?

Chuck fillet has excellent flavor and is resonably tender if not over cooked,
and lends itself to many preparations... but shouldn't contain any gristle...
try a different butcher.

"Best cuts" are what are best to you, are what an individual prefers... and
then there are the *more popular* cuts, generally enjoyed by those who really
don't appreciate the flavor of beef but won't admit it (their palates are more
familiar with boneless/skinless chicken breast)... those cuts cost more only
because of their greater popularity creating a greater demand which naturally
contributes to their being in less supply... not because they are "best". I
think chuck fillet is far superiour to rib steak... but then I much prefer the
dark meat from chicken and turkey.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

"Larry G writes:

>"Goomba38" wrote:
>> Larry G wrote:
>>
>> > I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
>> > gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
>> > tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.

>> No, a meat tenderizer won't make gristle
>> disappear. You just have to buy better cuts of
>> meat. What cut did you end up frying?

>Boneless beef chuck. I probably should've gone for the New York. What are
>the best cuts?

Chuck fillet has excellent flavor and is resonably tender if not over cooked,
and lends itself to many preparations... but shouldn't contain any gristle...
try a different butcher.

"Best cuts" are what are best to you, are what an individual prefers... and
then there are the *more popular* cuts, generally enjoyed by those who really
don't appreciate the flavor of beef but won't admit it (their palates are more
familiar with boneless/skinless chicken breast)... those cuts cost more only
because of their greater popularity creating a greater demand which naturally
contributes to their being in less supply... not because they are "best". I
think chuck fillet is far superiour to rib steak... but then I much prefer the
dark meat from chicken and turkey.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

"Larry G writes:

>"Goomba38" wrote:
>> Larry G wrote:
>>
>> > I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
>> > gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
>> > tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.

>> No, a meat tenderizer won't make gristle
>> disappear. You just have to buy better cuts of
>> meat. What cut did you end up frying?

>Boneless beef chuck. I probably should've gone for the New York. What are
>the best cuts?

Chuck fillet has excellent flavor and is resonably tender if not over cooked,
and lends itself to many preparations... but shouldn't contain any gristle...
try a different butcher.

"Best cuts" are what are best to you, are what an individual prefers... and
then there are the *more popular* cuts, generally enjoyed by those who really
don't appreciate the flavor of beef but won't admit it (their palates are more
familiar with boneless/skinless chicken breast)... those cuts cost more only
because of their greater popularity creating a greater demand which naturally
contributes to their being in less supply... not because they are "best". I
think chuck fillet is far superiour to rib steak... but then I much prefer the
dark meat from chicken and turkey.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Kswck

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Very delicious. I decided to fry it in olive oil with salt and pepper. Boy
> was it delicious. Some thoughts: even fried in olive oil, it left no
> feeling
> of grease as in food such as frying hamburger patties in their own juice
> for
> example. I'd forgotten how a good cut of beef can taste.
>
> I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
> A 'good steak' is kind of a misnomer. Some prefer the chuck steak which
> has a large bone and not much meat, but is quite flavorful. Others prefer
> a filet mignon-which in my opinon is a rather tasteless cut.

Just do not believe what you hear is a great cut of meat actually is, or a
more pricey cut is definately better cause it costs more.
You have to try a variety of cuts and make the determination on your own.

Kswck

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Very delicious. I decided to fry it in olive oil with salt and pepper. Boy
> was it delicious. Some thoughts: even fried in olive oil, it left no
> feeling
> of grease as in food such as frying hamburger patties in their own juice
> for
> example. I'd forgotten how a good cut of beef can taste.
>
> I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
> A 'good steak' is kind of a misnomer. Some prefer the chuck steak which
> has a large bone and not much meat, but is quite flavorful. Others prefer
> a filet mignon-which in my opinon is a rather tasteless cut.

Just do not believe what you hear is a great cut of meat actually is, or a
more pricey cut is definately better cause it costs more.
You have to try a variety of cuts and make the determination on your own.

Kswck

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Very delicious. I decided to fry it in olive oil with salt and pepper. Boy
> was it delicious. Some thoughts: even fried in olive oil, it left no
> feeling
> of grease as in food such as frying hamburger patties in their own juice
> for
> example. I'd forgotten how a good cut of beef can taste.
>
> I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
> A 'good steak' is kind of a misnomer. Some prefer the chuck steak which
> has a large bone and not much meat, but is quite flavorful. Others prefer
> a filet mignon-which in my opinon is a rather tasteless cut.

Just do not believe what you hear is a great cut of meat actually is, or a
more pricey cut is definately better cause it costs more.
You have to try a variety of cuts and make the determination on your own.

Biff

"Kswck" > wrote in message . net>...
> "Larry G" > wrote in message
> > Very delicious. I decided to fry it in olive oil with salt and pepper. Boy
> > was it delicious. Some thoughts: even fried in olive oil, it left no
> > feeling
> > of grease as in food such as frying hamburger patties in their own juice
> > for
> > example. I'd forgotten how a good cut of beef can taste.
> >
> > I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> > gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> > tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
> > A 'good steak' is kind of a misnomer. Some prefer the chuck steak which
> > has a large bone and not much meat, but is quite flavorful. Others prefer
> > a filet mignon-which in my opinon is a rather tasteless cut.

> Just do not believe what you hear is a great cut of meat actually is, or a
> more pricey cut is definately better cause it costs more.
> You have to try a variety of cuts and make the determination on your own.

Round steak, pounded thin and chicken fried, nothing better.

Biff
Mary Jo Oliver

I work in a meat department in a grocery store..our best selling cuts are
Boneless Rib Grilling steak (better known as the prime rib) or Striploin
grilling, followed by the T-bone. Hope this helps.
"Biff" > wrote in message
om...
> "Kswck" > wrote in message

. net>...
> > "Larry G" > wrote in message
> > > Very delicious. I decided to fry it in olive oil with salt and pepper.

Boy
> > > was it delicious. Some thoughts: even fried in olive oil, it left no
> > > feeling
> > > of grease as in food such as frying hamburger patties in their own

juice
> > > for
> > > example. I'd forgotten how a good cut of beef can taste.
> > >
> > > I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had

more
> > > gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> > > tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
> > > A 'good steak' is kind of a misnomer. Some prefer the chuck steak

which
> > > has a large bone and not much meat, but is quite flavorful. Others

prefer
> > > a filet mignon-which in my opinon is a rather tasteless cut.

> > Just do not believe what you hear is a great cut of meat actually is, or

> > more pricey cut is definately better cause it costs more.
> > You have to try a variety of cuts and make the determination on your

own.

> Round steak, pounded thin and chicken fried, nothing better.
>
> Biff

Mary Jo Oliver

I work in a meat department in a grocery store..our best selling cuts are
Boneless Rib Grilling steak (better known as the prime rib) or Striploin
grilling, followed by the T-bone. Hope this helps.
"Biff" > wrote in message
om...
> "Kswck" > wrote in message

. net>...
> > "Larry G" > wrote in message
> > > Very delicious. I decided to fry it in olive oil with salt and pepper.

Boy
> > > was it delicious. Some thoughts: even fried in olive oil, it left no
> > > feeling
> > > of grease as in food such as frying hamburger patties in their own

juice
> > > for
> > > example. I'd forgotten how a good cut of beef can taste.
> > >
> > > I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had

more
> > > gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> > > tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
> > > A 'good steak' is kind of a misnomer. Some prefer the chuck steak

which
> > > has a large bone and not much meat, but is quite flavorful. Others

prefer
> > > a filet mignon-which in my opinon is a rather tasteless cut.

> > Just do not believe what you hear is a great cut of meat actually is, or

> > more pricey cut is definately better cause it costs more.
> > You have to try a variety of cuts and make the determination on your

own.

> Round steak, pounded thin and chicken fried, nothing better.
>
> Biff

Bob (this one)

Mary Jo Oliver wrote:

> I work in a meat department in a grocery store..our best selling
> cuts are Boneless Rib Grilling steak (better known as the prime
> rib) or Striploin grilling, followed by the T-bone. Hope this
> helps.

These are not standard names for beef cuts. These are marketing names.

Pastorio

"Biff" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>> "Kswck" > wrote in message

> . net>...

>> Round steak, pounded thin and chicken fried, nothing better.
>>
>> Biff

Bob (this one)

"Biff" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>> "Kswck" > wrote in message

> . net>...

>> Round steak, pounded thin and chicken fried, nothing better.
>>
>> Biff

zuuum

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Very delicious. I decided to fry it in olive oil with salt and pepper. Boy
> was it delicious. Some thoughts: even fried in olive oil, it left no
> feeling
> of grease as in food such as frying hamburger patties in their own juice
> for
> example. I'd forgotten how a good cut of beef can taste.
>
> I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
>
> Larry

Moist-heat methods, like braising or crock cooking, are the most effective
way to deal with gristle. Go for a cut like a rib-eye with enough fat
marbling to give you the flavor if you want that flavor without
"rubberbands" ":^)

zuuum

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Very delicious. I decided to fry it in olive oil with salt and pepper. Boy
> was it delicious. Some thoughts: even fried in olive oil, it left no
> feeling
> of grease as in food such as frying hamburger patties in their own juice
> for
> example. I'd forgotten how a good cut of beef can taste.
>
> I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
>
> Larry

Moist-heat methods, like braising or crock cooking, are the most effective
way to deal with gristle. Go for a cut like a rib-eye with enough fat
marbling to give you the flavor if you want that flavor without
"rubberbands" ":^)

zuuum

"Larry G" > wrote in message
> Very delicious. I decided to fry it in olive oil with salt and pepper. Boy
> was it delicious. Some thoughts: even fried in olive oil, it left no
> feeling
> of grease as in food such as frying hamburger patties in their own juice
> for
> example. I'd forgotten how a good cut of beef can taste.
>
> I should probably spring for a more expensive piece though, it had more
> gristle than I would have liked, but was otherwise good. Will a meat
> tenderizer help remove gristle? That's probably my only complaint.
>
> Larry

Moist-heat methods, like braising or crock cooking, are the most effective
way to deal with gristle. Go for a cut like a rib-eye with enough fat
marbling to give you the flavor if you want that flavor without
"rubberbands" ":^)

zuuum

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Mary Jo Oliver wrote:
>
>> I work in a meat department in a grocery store..our best selling cuts are
>> Boneless Rib Grilling steak (better known as the prime rib) or Striploin
>> grilling, followed by the T-bone. Hope this helps.

> These are not standard names for beef cuts. These are marketing names.
>
> Pastorio

Thank you!

Kswck

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Mary Jo Oliver wrote:
>
>> I work in a meat department in a grocery store..our best selling cuts are
>> Boneless Rib Grilling steak (better known as the prime rib) or Striploin
>> grilling, followed by the T-bone. Hope this helps.

> These are not standard names for beef cuts. These are marketing names.
>
> Pastorio

A Boneless Rib Grilling Steak is also NOT a prime rib.

Kswck

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Mary Jo Oliver wrote:
>
>> I work in a meat department in a grocery store..our best selling cuts are
>> Boneless Rib Grilling steak (better known as the prime rib) or Striploin
>> grilling, followed by the T-bone. Hope this helps.

> These are not standard names for beef cuts. These are marketing names.
>
> Pastorio

A Boneless Rib Grilling Steak is also NOT a prime rib.

Mary Jo Oliver

no but it is a cut from the prime rib.
"Kswck" > wrote in message
t...

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> > Mary Jo Oliver wrote:
> >
> >> I work in a meat department in a grocery store..our best selling cuts

are
> >> Boneless Rib Grilling steak (better known as the prime rib) or

Striploin
> >> grilling, followed by the T-bone. Hope this helps.

> > These are not standard names for beef cuts. These are marketing names.
> >
> > Pastorio
> >

> A Boneless Rib Grilling Steak is also NOT a prime rib.

Mary Jo Oliver

no but it is a cut from the prime rib.
t...