Anne Duhon

Default I need a new pressure cooker

My old mirro matic pressure cooker needs parts that are no longer
available. I order a gasket and safety fuse but the gasket is to thin
and the safety fuse is not the same thats in the lid. I purchased this
cooker 40 years ago so I guess it was to much to think I could still get
parts.

Can anyone recommend a quality 4 quart pressure cooker?

notbob

On 2004-07-28, Anne Duhon > wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a quality 4 quart pressure cooker?

Kuhn-Rikon is the one you will see most often associated with 'quality'.
Unfortunately, it's also the one you see most associated with 'insane
price'! I've got one and it's a great unit. But, I doubt I'd have it if I
hadn't stumbled across it for 40% off at a clearance sale.

You are looking for a 4qt size, right? Kuhn-Rikon makes a 3.5L (3.7qts)
Anniversary promo model that goes for $100 everywhere. Personally, I'd
recommend a 5qt unit (what I have), but that's up around the $170-180
level.

<http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Small_A...ay_~full_specs

According to Barb, another great brand is the Magefesa, which she says was
first choice, even over the K-R, in one of those consumer rating rags a few
years back. Only problem is finding one. In two years I never could find
one at a store or on the net. But, that was some time ago. Now they're
starting to show up here and there. Here's one on ebay:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tegory=20 685

Definitely a more sane price! 4L (liters) works out to 4.2qts.

enjoy =D
nb

sd

In article t>,
Donna Rose > wrote:

> I received a Fagor Duo model for my birthday two years ago and I
> absolutely love it. I think it's a six quart but I can't imagine you'd
> want it too much smaller, since you're not supposed to fill them more
> than two thirds full, if I recall. No idea of the cost, as it was a
> gift, but I'm more than pleased with it.

So did I! I'd been shopping around and my Sweetie (TM) got me one.
I've been very happy with it. It _is_ six quarts. And they run around
$60. Or did a couple of years ago.

sd
sd

In article t>,
Donna Rose > wrote:

> I received a Fagor Duo model for my birthday two years ago and I
> absolutely love it. I think it's a six quart but I can't imagine you'd
> want it too much smaller, since you're not supposed to fill them more
> than two thirds full, if I recall. No idea of the cost, as it was a
> gift, but I'm more than pleased with it.

So did I! I'd been shopping around and my Sweetie (TM) got me one.
I've been very happy with it. It _is_ six quarts. And they run around
$60. Or did a couple of years ago.

sd
UnConundrrum

notbob wrote:
> On 2004-07-28, Anne Duhon > wrote:
>

>>Can anyone recommend a quality 4 quart pressure cooker?

> Kuhn-Rikon is the one you will see most often associated with 'quality'.
> Unfortunately, it's also the one you see most associated with 'insane
> price'! I've got one and it's a great unit. But, I doubt I'd have it if I
> hadn't stumbled across it for 40% off at a clearance sale.
>
> You are looking for a 4qt size, right? Kuhn-Rikon makes a 3.5L (3.7qts)
> Anniversary promo model that goes for $100 everywhere. Personally, I'd
> recommend a 5qt unit (what I have), but that's up around the $170-180
> level.
>
> <http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Small_A...ay_~full_specs
>
> According to Barb, another great brand is the Magefesa, which she says was
> first choice, even over the K-R, in one of those consumer rating rags a few
> years back. Only problem is finding one. In two years I never could find
> one at a store or on the net. But, that was some time ago. Now they're
> starting to show up here and there. Here's one on ebay:
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tegory=20 685
>
> Definitely a more sane price! 4L (liters) works out to 4.2qts.
>
> enjoy =D
> nb

Did you note that they won't ship to the States ?????
UnConundrrum

notbob wrote:
> On 2004-07-28, Anne Duhon > wrote:
>

>>Can anyone recommend a quality 4 quart pressure cooker?

> Kuhn-Rikon is the one you will see most often associated with 'quality'.
> Unfortunately, it's also the one you see most associated with 'insane
> price'! I've got one and it's a great unit. But, I doubt I'd have it if I
> hadn't stumbled across it for 40% off at a clearance sale.
>
> You are looking for a 4qt size, right? Kuhn-Rikon makes a 3.5L (3.7qts)
> Anniversary promo model that goes for $100 everywhere. Personally, I'd
> recommend a 5qt unit (what I have), but that's up around the $170-180
> level.
>
> <http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Small_A...ay_~full_specs
>
> According to Barb, another great brand is the Magefesa, which she says was
> first choice, even over the K-R, in one of those consumer rating rags a few
> years back. Only problem is finding one. In two years I never could find
> one at a store or on the net. But, that was some time ago. Now they're
> starting to show up here and there. Here's one on ebay:
>
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tegory=20 685
>
> Definitely a more sane price! 4L (liters) works out to 4.2qts.
>
> enjoy =D
> nb

Did you note that they won't ship to the States ?????

notbob

On 2004-07-28, UnConundrrum > wrote:

> Did you note that they won't ship to the States ?????

No, I missed that. No matter, there's now a distributer in the US:

http://www.magefesausa.com/

nb
notbob

On 2004-07-28, UnConundrrum > wrote:

> Did you note that they won't ship to the States ?????

No, I missed that. No matter, there's now a distributer in the US:

http://www.magefesausa.com/

nb
Gregory Morrow

"Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Seems to me that Kuhn-Rikon and Fagor get good marks. Is a 4-quart
> large enough? If that's what you've been using, I guess so. :-0) It
> just seems small considering that you can't fill them to the brim.

Do you ever use a pressure cooker for canning, e.g. in lieu of an open -
kettle hot water bath? [I THINK that question makes sense...] ISTR that
pressure canning is recommended for certain things....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

"Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Seems to me that Kuhn-Rikon and Fagor get good marks. Is a 4-quart
> large enough? If that's what you've been using, I guess so. :-0) It
> just seems small considering that you can't fill them to the brim.

Do you ever use a pressure cooker for canning, e.g. in lieu of an open -
kettle hot water bath? [I THINK that question makes sense...] ISTR that
pressure canning is recommended for certain things....

--
Best
Greg

Pennyaline

"Gregory Morrow" wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Seems to me that Kuhn-Rikon and Fagor get good marks. Is a 4-quart
> > large enough? If that's what you've been using, I guess so. :-0) It
> > just seems small considering that you can't fill them to the brim.
> >

> Do you ever use a pressure cooker for canning, e.g. in lieu of an open -
> kettle hot water bath? [I THINK that question makes sense...] ISTR that
> pressure canning is recommended for certain things....

"Open kettle" is a method of canning that went out of favor years ago. It is
ineffective for preserving. It is not another name for hot water bath
canning, and it isn't even close to the rigors of pressure canning.

Pressure canning is required for low acid foods such as most vegetables and
meats.

Anne Duhon

Many thanks for pressure cooker suggestions. I shall go shopping for a
new one tomorrow. I know the small cooker I have been using seems small
to some of you but it has worked out fine for me all these years. I
will miss that little miro matic. Thanks again, Anne

Melba's Jammin'

In article . net>,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Seems to me that Kuhn-Rikon and Fagor get good marks. Is a 4-quart
> > large enough? If that's what you've been using, I guess so. :-0) It
> > just seems small considering that you can't fill them to the brim.
> >

> Do you ever use a pressure cooker for canning, e.g. in lieu of an open -
> kettle hot water bath? [I THINK that question makes sense...] ISTR that
> pressure canning is recommended for certain things....

Believe it or not, Greg, there's a differentiation between a pressure
cooker and a pressure canner. Pressure canner is bigger and heavier.
You can cook in a pressure canner; you cannot can in a pressure cooker
-- the cookers are too small and heat too fast and cool too fast -- both
times are important in the pressure canning process. And, yes, steam
pressure processng is a must for vegetables, meats, seafoods and foods
involving combinations thereof. (And a hot water bath is done with the
cover on. :-) Open kettle canning is not allowed. Do you know what
'open kettle' canning is?)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article . net>,
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>
> > "Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > > Seems to me that Kuhn-Rikon and Fagor get good marks. Is a 4-quart
> > > large enough? If that's what you've been using, I guess so. :-0) It
> > > just seems small considering that you can't fill them to the brim.
> > >

> > Do you ever use a pressure cooker for canning, e.g. in lieu of an open -
> > kettle hot water bath? [I THINK that question makes sense...] ISTR that
> > pressure canning is recommended for certain things....

> Believe it or not, Greg, there's a differentiation between a pressure
> cooker and a pressure canner. Pressure canner is bigger and heavier.
> You can cook in a pressure canner; you cannot can in a pressure cooker
> -- the cookers are too small and heat too fast and cool too fast -- both
> times are important in the pressure canning process. And, yes, steam
> pressure processng is a must for vegetables, meats, seafoods and foods
> involving combinations thereof. (And a hot water bath is done with the
> cover on. :-) Open kettle canning is not allowed. Do you know what
> 'open kettle' canning is?)

Yes, thank you for clarifying ;-) Time to hit the canning books I
think..I've got some 6 dozen canning jars in my storage locker downstairs
that I should consider filling up ;-).

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article . net>,
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>
> > "Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > > Seems to me that Kuhn-Rikon and Fagor get good marks. Is a 4-quart
> > > large enough? If that's what you've been using, I guess so. :-0) It
> > > just seems small considering that you can't fill them to the brim.
> > >

> > Do you ever use a pressure cooker for canning, e.g. in lieu of an open -
> > kettle hot water bath? [I THINK that question makes sense...] ISTR that
> > pressure canning is recommended for certain things....

> Believe it or not, Greg, there's a differentiation between a pressure
> cooker and a pressure canner. Pressure canner is bigger and heavier.
> You can cook in a pressure canner; you cannot can in a pressure cooker
> -- the cookers are too small and heat too fast and cool too fast -- both
> times are important in the pressure canning process. And, yes, steam
> pressure processng is a must for vegetables, meats, seafoods and foods
> involving combinations thereof. (And a hot water bath is done with the
> cover on. :-) Open kettle canning is not allowed. Do you know what
> 'open kettle' canning is?)

Yes, thank you for clarifying ;-) Time to hit the canning books I
think..I've got some 6 dozen canning jars in my storage locker downstairs
that I should consider filling up ;-).

--
Best
Greg

Kate ......

Anne Duhon wrote:

> Many thanks for pressure cooker suggestions. I shall go shopping for a
> new one tomorrow. I know the small cooker I have been using seems small
> to some of you but it has worked out fine for me all these years. I
> will miss that little miro matic. Thanks again, Anne

I bought my daughter a pressure cooker when she got married in 1968. There
was a recipe in the booklet that came with it for a green bean , ham and
potato dish. To this day its her families favorite summer dish. When she
can find the green fresh beans. Just this morning she told me they ate it
last nigh and licked the pot. Kate

Kate ......

Anne Duhon wrote:

> Many thanks for pressure cooker suggestions. I shall go shopping for a
> new one tomorrow. I know the small cooker I have been using seems small
> to some of you but it has worked out fine for me all these years. I
> will miss that little miro matic. Thanks again, Anne

I bought my daughter a pressure cooker when she got married in 1968. There
was a recipe in the booklet that came with it for a green bean , ham and
potato dish. To this day its her families favorite summer dish. When she
can find the green fresh beans. Just this morning she told me they ate it
last nigh and licked the pot. Kate

Melba's Jammin'

In article .net>,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)
> > Believe it or not, Greg, there's a differentiation between a
> > pressure cooker and a pressure canner. Pressure canner is bigger
> > and heavier. You can cook in a pressure canner; you cannot can in a
> > pressure cooker -- the cookers are too small and heat too fast and
> > cool too fast -- both times are important in the pressure canning
> > process. And, yes, steam pressure processng is a must for
> > vegetables, meats, seafoods and foods involving combinations
> > thereof. (And a hot water bath is done with the cover on. :-)
> > Open kettle canning is not allowed. Do you know what 'open kettle'
> > canning is?)

> Yes, thank you for clarifying ;-) Time to hit the canning books I
> think..I've got some 6 dozen canning jars in my storage locker downstairs
> that I should consider filling up ;-).

While I know there's at least one person who wouldn't be disappointed if
you accidentally poisoned yourself, I'm not one of them. :-) If
you've never done any canning before, please buy a good basic text for
reference and follow the rules. My personal favorite is the Ball Blue
Book (published by Alltrista Consumer Products Company); it's available
from them online for about $5. Or look for Putting Food By by Greene,
Hertzberg, and Somebody Else - Amazon has it. Or So Easy To Preserve,
put out by the University of Georgia food safety/food preservation
weenies. Online, you want to check in at rec.food.preserving for
discussion; for good information look to the National Center for Home
Food Preservation, housed at the U of GA (<www.uga.edu/nchfp/> will get
you there, I think). I attended a food preserving seminar a couple
weeks ago and the presenters recommended the three books I mentioned
above.

What are you planning on putting up?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article .net>,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)
> > Believe it or not, Greg, there's a differentiation between a
> > pressure cooker and a pressure canner. Pressure canner is bigger
> > and heavier. You can cook in a pressure canner; you cannot can in a
> > pressure cooker -- the cookers are too small and heat too fast and
> > cool too fast -- both times are important in the pressure canning
> > process. And, yes, steam pressure processng is a must for
> > vegetables, meats, seafoods and foods involving combinations
> > thereof. (And a hot water bath is done with the cover on. :-)
> > Open kettle canning is not allowed. Do you know what 'open kettle'
> > canning is?)

> Yes, thank you for clarifying ;-) Time to hit the canning books I
> think..I've got some 6 dozen canning jars in my storage locker downstairs
> that I should consider filling up ;-).

While I know there's at least one person who wouldn't be disappointed if
you accidentally poisoned yourself, I'm not one of them. :-) If
you've never done any canning before, please buy a good basic text for
reference and follow the rules. My personal favorite is the Ball Blue
Book (published by Alltrista Consumer Products Company); it's available
from them online for about $5. Or look for Putting Food By by Greene,
Hertzberg, and Somebody Else - Amazon has it. Or So Easy To Preserve,
put out by the University of Georgia food safety/food preservation
weenies. Online, you want to check in at rec.food.preserving for
discussion; for good information look to the National Center for Home
Food Preservation, housed at the U of GA (<www.uga.edu/nchfp/> will get
you there, I think). I attended a food preserving seminar a couple
weeks ago and the presenters recommended the three books I mentioned
above.

What are you planning on putting up?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

In article <VXFNc.200375$Oq2.52147@attbi_s52>,
says...

> According to Barb, another great brand is the Magefesa, which she says was
> first choice, even over the K-R, in one of those consumer rating rags a few
> years back. Only problem is finding one. In two years I never could find
> one at a store or on the net. But, that was some time ago. Now they're
> starting to show up here and there. Here's one on ebay:
>
> <
>
> Definitely a more sane price! 4L (liters) works out to 4.2qts.
>
> enjoy =D
> nb

Keep in mind that not all pressure cookers are created equal. These
cheaper Magefesa models are good, but they are lower-pressure models
that will cut cooking time "only" by about 1/3.

The higher-pressure and/or adjustable Magefesa units, like the "Rapid
II" model, can shorten cooking times by 1/2 or 2/3, which sometimes can
be significant. Of course they can also adjust down to lower pressure
if desired.

As mentioned, the problem with Magefesa is that it is hard to find. A
Cook's Wares used to carry them, but don't show them in recent catalogs.
A call to them may uncover a leftover unit, if they've actually stopped
carrying them. And if they no longer carry them, they may be willing to
say why they stopped. The Magefesas were less expensive than the
equivalent K-R units, but the quality was excellent.

FWIW, don't buy a small pressure cooker. A 4 qt. capacity is right at
the edge of usefulness, in my experience. Six qt. is a much more
versatile size, if you envision doing a variety of things like roasts,
veggies, one-pot meals, grains, etc. It's very unnerving (and messy) to
have your pot roast juices spewing all over the place when you vent an
undersized pressure cooker at the end of the cooking time...

> [...]

if desired.

As mentioned, the problem with Magefesa is that it is hard to find. A
Cook's Wares used to carry them, but don't show them in recent catalogs.
A call to them may uncover a leftover unit, if they've actually stopped
carrying them. And if they no longer carry them, they may be willing to
say why they stopped. The Magefesas were less expensive than the
equivalent K-R units, but the quality was excellent.

FWIW, don't buy a small pressure cooker. A 4 qt. capacity is right at
the edge of usefulness, in my experience. Six qt. is a much more
versatile size, if you envision doing a variety of things like roasts,
veggies, one-pot meals, grains, etc. It's very unnerving (and messy) to
have your pot roast juices spewing all over the place when you vent an
undersized pressure cooker at the end of the cooking time...
Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[...]

> While I know there's at least one person who wouldn't be disappointed if
> you accidentally poisoned yourself, I'm not one of them. :-)

Gee, only *one*...!!!??? ;-p

If
> you've never done any canning before, please buy a good basic text for
> reference and follow the rules. My personal favorite is the Ball Blue
> Book (published by Alltrista Consumer Products Company); it's available
> from them online for about $5. Or look for Putting Food By by Greene,
> Hertzberg, and Somebody Else - Amazon has it. Or So Easy To Preserve,
> put out by the University of Georgia food safety/food preservation
> weenies. Online, you want to check in at rec.food.preserving for
> discussion; for good information look to the National Center for Home
> Food Preservation, housed at the U of GA (<www.uga.edu/nchfp/> will get
> you there, I think). I attended a food preserving seminar a couple
> weeks ago and the presenters recommended the three books I mentioned
> above.

I've got the Ball book, an Ortho book from about 20 years, and I think a
Sunset book...I used to can a lot in the mid - late 80's but haven't done
much since....

> What are you planning on putting up?

I'd like to do some okra pickles, some cantaloupe pickles, peach pickles,
chow - chow, dilly beans...I like pickled asparagus but's it's kinda late in
the season...I was eyeing some nice cherries to make brandied cherries with
but do I *really* want pit 20 or so pounds of cherries(been there done
that)?

Most all this stuff I would give away as holiday gifts...people are always
in awe that someone still does home canning so it's a good gift....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[...]

> While I know there's at least one person who wouldn't be disappointed if
> you accidentally poisoned yourself, I'm not one of them. :-)

Gee, only *one*...!!!??? ;-p

If
> you've never done any canning before, please buy a good basic text for
> reference and follow the rules. My personal favorite is the Ball Blue
> Book (published by Alltrista Consumer Products Company); it's available
> from them online for about $5. Or look for Putting Food By by Greene,
> Hertzberg, and Somebody Else - Amazon has it. Or So Easy To Preserve,
> put out by the University of Georgia food safety/food preservation
> weenies. Online, you want to check in at rec.food.preserving for
> discussion; for good information look to the National Center for Home
> Food Preservation, housed at the U of GA (<www.uga.edu/nchfp/> will get
> you there, I think). I attended a food preserving seminar a couple
> weeks ago and the presenters recommended the three books I mentioned
> above.

I've got the Ball book, an Ortho book from about 20 years, and I think a
Sunset book...I used to can a lot in the mid - late 80's but haven't done
much since....

> What are you planning on putting up?

I'd like to do some okra pickles, some cantaloupe pickles, peach pickles,
chow - chow, dilly beans...I like pickled asparagus but's it's kinda late in
the season...I was eyeing some nice cherries to make brandied cherries with
but do I *really* want pit 20 or so pounds of cherries(been there done
that)?

Most all this stuff I would give away as holiday gifts...people are always
in awe that someone still does home canning so it's a good gift....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[...]

> While I know there's at least one person who wouldn't be disappointed if
> you accidentally poisoned yourself, I'm not one of them. :-)

Gee, only *one*...!!!??? ;-p

If
> you've never done any canning before, please buy a good basic text for
> reference and follow the rules. My personal favorite is the Ball Blue
> Book (published by Alltrista Consumer Products Company); it's available
> from them online for about $5. Or look for Putting Food By by Greene,
> Hertzberg, and Somebody Else - Amazon has it. Or So Easy To Preserve,
> put out by the University of Georgia food safety/food preservation
> weenies. Online, you want to check in at rec.food.preserving for
> discussion; for good information look to the National Center for Home
> Food Preservation, housed at the U of GA (<www.uga.edu/nchfp/> will get
> you there, I think). I attended a food preserving seminar a couple
> weeks ago and the presenters recommended the three books I mentioned
> above.

I've got the Ball book, an Ortho book from about 20 years, and I think a
Sunset book...I used to can a lot in the mid - late 80's but haven't done
much since....

> What are you planning on putting up?

I'd like to do some okra pickles, some cantaloupe pickles, peach pickles,
chow - chow, dilly beans...I like pickled asparagus but's it's kinda late in
the season...I was eyeing some nice cherries to make brandied cherries with
but do I *really* want pit 20 or so pounds of cherries(been there done
that)?

Most all this stuff I would give away as holiday gifts...people are always
in awe that someone still does home canning so it's a good gift....

--
Best
Greg

Melba's Jammin'

In article t>,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > While I know there's at least one person who wouldn't be
> > disappointed if you accidentally poisoned yourself, I'm not one of
> > them. :-)

> Gee, only *one*...!!!??? ;-p

I said "at least one"

> >If you've never done any canning before, please buy a good basic text
> > for reference and follow the rules. My personal favorite is the
> > Ball Blue Book (published by Alltrista Consumer Products Company);

> I've got the Ball book, an Ortho book from about 20 years, and I think a
> Sunset book...I used to can a lot in the mid - late 80's but haven't done
> much since....

Get the newest Ball Blue Book. Be careful with the Ortho and Sunset
books (I think I have both of them, too) -- you should compare any
recipe there with one of the current tested products to be sure stuff is
acidic enough for safe BWB processing.

> > What are you planning on putting up?

> I'd like to do some okra pickles, some cantaloupe pickles, peach
> pickles, chow - chow, dilly beans...I like pickled asparagus but's
> it's kinda late in the season...I was eyeing some nice cherries to
> make brandied cherries with but do I *really* want pit 20 or so
> pounds of cherries(been there done that)?

You're the first I've known who pits the cherries first.
New pickle "rules" want the brine to be at least 50% vinegar.

> Most all this stuff I would give away as holiday gifts...people are
> always in awe that someone still does home canning so it's a good
> gift....

Step on over to r.f.preserving - you'll get lots of info there -- from
congenial folks.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article t>,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > While I know there's at least one person who wouldn't be
> > disappointed if you accidentally poisoned yourself, I'm not one of
> > them. :-)

> Gee, only *one*...!!!??? ;-p

I said "at least one"

> >If you've never done any canning before, please buy a good basic text
> > for reference and follow the rules. My personal favorite is the
> > Ball Blue Book (published by Alltrista Consumer Products Company);

> I've got the Ball book, an Ortho book from about 20 years, and I think a
> Sunset book...I used to can a lot in the mid - late 80's but haven't done
> much since....

Get the newest Ball Blue Book. Be careful with the Ortho and Sunset
books (I think I have both of them, too) -- you should compare any
recipe there with one of the current tested products to be sure stuff is
acidic enough for safe BWB processing.

> > What are you planning on putting up?

> I'd like to do some okra pickles, some cantaloupe pickles, peach
> pickles, chow - chow, dilly beans...I like pickled asparagus but's
> it's kinda late in the season...I was eyeing some nice cherries to
> make brandied cherries with but do I *really* want pit 20 or so
> pounds of cherries(been there done that)?

You're the first I've known who pits the cherries first.
New pickle "rules" want the brine to be at least 50% vinegar.

> Most all this stuff I would give away as holiday gifts...people are
> always in awe that someone still does home canning so it's a good
> gift....

Step on over to r.f.preserving - you'll get lots of info there -- from
congenial folks.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/22/04.

Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article t>,
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > While I know there's at least one person who wouldn't be
> > > disappointed if you accidentally poisoned yourself, I'm not one of
> > > them. :-)

> > Gee, only *one*...!!!??? ;-p

> I said "at least one"

Okay then ;-)

> > >If you've never done any canning before, please buy a good basic text
> > > for reference and follow the rules. My personal favorite is the
> > > Ball Blue Book (published by Alltrista Consumer Products Company);

> > I've got the Ball book, an Ortho book from about 20 years, and I think a
> > Sunset book...I used to can a lot in the mid - late 80's but haven't

done
> > much since....

> Get the newest Ball Blue Book. Be careful with the Ortho and Sunset
> books (I think I have both of them, too) -- you should compare any
> recipe there with one of the current tested products to be sure stuff is
> acidic enough for safe BWB processing.

That's what I thought....

> > > What are you planning on putting up?

> > I'd like to do some okra pickles, some cantaloupe pickles, peach
> > pickles, chow - chow, dilly beans...I like pickled asparagus but's
> > it's kinda late in the season...I was eyeing some nice cherries to
> > make brandied cherries with but do I *really* want pit 20 or so
> > pounds of cherries(been there done that)?

> You're the first I've known who pits the cherries first.

It's mind - numbingly theraputic..and you have try hard to keep from
sampling the brandy....8-]

> New pickle "rules" want the brine to be at least 50% vinegar.

Yes, I see things have changed a bit in the last few years....

> > Most all this stuff I would give away as holiday gifts...people are
> > always in awe that someone still does home canning so it's a good
> > gift....

> Step on over to r.f.preserving - you'll get lots of info there -- from
> congenial folks.

Will do....

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article t>,
> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > While I know there's at least one person who wouldn't be
> > > disappointed if you accidentally poisoned yourself, I'm not one of
> > > them. :-)

> > Gee, only *one*...!!!??? ;-p

> I said "at least one"

Okay then ;-)

> > >If you've never done any canning before, please buy a good basic text
> > > for reference and follow the rules. My personal favorite is the
> > > Ball Blue Book (published by Alltrista Consumer Products Company);

> > I've got the Ball book, an Ortho book from about 20 years, and I think a
> > Sunset book...I used to can a lot in the mid - late 80's but haven't

done
> > much since....

> Get the newest Ball Blue Book. Be careful with the Ortho and Sunset
> books (I think I have both of them, too) -- you should compare any
> recipe there with one of the current tested products to be sure stuff is
> acidic enough for safe BWB processing.

That's what I thought....

> > > What are you planning on putting up?

> > I'd like to do some okra pickles, some cantaloupe pickles, peach
> > pickles, chow - chow, dilly beans...I like pickled asparagus but's
> > it's kinda late in the season...I was eyeing some nice cherries to
> > make brandied cherries with but do I *really* want pit 20 or so
> > pounds of cherries(been there done that)?

> You're the first I've known who pits the cherries first.

It's mind - numbingly theraputic..and you have try hard to keep from
sampling the brandy....8-]

> New pickle "rules" want the brine to be at least 50% vinegar.

Yes, I see things have changed a bit in the last few years....

> > Most all this stuff I would give away as holiday gifts...people are
> > always in awe that someone still does home canning so it's a good
> > gift....

> Step on over to r.f.preserving - you'll get lots of info there -- from
> congenial folks.

Will do....

--
Best
Greg

nutNhoney

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>

>>Seems to me that Kuhn-Rikon and Fagor get good marks. Is a 4-quart
>>large enough? If that's what you've been using, I guess so. :-0) It
>>just seems small considering that you can't fill them to the brim.
>>

> Do you ever use a pressure cooker for canning, e.g. in lieu of an open -
> kettle hot water bath? [I THINK that question makes sense...] ISTR that
> pressure canning is recommended for certain things....

I use a pressure canner for canning low acid things like vegetables,
beans, and meats. A pressure canner is different than a pressure
cooker. While a pressure canner can be used as a cooker for larger
items, a pressure cooker cannot be used as a canner. I have 2 pressure
cookers (4 qt, 6 qt) and a pressure canner (22 qt).
nutNhoney