Tomato juice fermentation?

Old 08-11-2003, 06:06 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Default Tomato juice fermentation?

This morning, on my way into the digital photo lab to work
on a project for the photo course I am taking, I stopped
at a fairly popular restaurant on Philadelphia's South Street
to eat breakfast. As is usually the case when I eat breakfast
out, I ordered a glass of tomato juice.

As I sat at the table reading a newspaper and sipping on
the tomato juice, I noticed that the juice had a strange
taste. The juice didn't seem spoiled, but it did have an
unusual flavor; sort of like a light vinegar flavor. I
asked the waitress to switch my juice to pineapple. The
pineapple juice was fine, as was my sausage and eggs, but
I kept thinking about that tomato juice. I never tasted
anything quite like that juice before. Then as I was
walking down South Street shooting some photos, it dawned
on me. I think the juice had started to ferment.

Does this make sense? I never heard of tomato juice
fermenting before, esp. in a restaurant where they would
probably not have any juice sitting around very long.
Has anyone else experienced this with tomato juice? I am
a big fan of tomato juice. I like it much better than
orange juice, esp. at breakfast.

I frequently keep a bottle of TJ in my refrigerater
and sometimes it does go bad, so I know what spoiled
tomato juice tastes like and what I tasted this morning
was definitely not spoiled, just different.

Anyway, I just finished my lab work so its time for me
to head out to do some more photo shooting for the
digital photography course I am taking.

By the way, if you're curious what I am working on now
for my photo course, have a look at these three web pages
that are sitting on my Mac:

http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/...stanleyC4.html

http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/...stanleyC4.html

http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/...stanleyC4.html

Tell me if you can guess what these images are. They are
losely related too food.

Have a nice weekend, everyone

Stan
Old 09-11-2003, 11:03 PM
JonquilJan
Usenet poster

http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/...stanleyC4.html

http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/...stanleyC4.html

http://picard.ocis.temple.edu/~stan/...stanleyC4.html

Tell me if you can guess what these images are. They are
losely related too food.

Have a nice weekend, everyone

Stan

Very interesting photos Stan. Water (fluid) dropping into water (fluid) in
a clear bowl (glass) over a checkered cloth. The images on D13 are
especially intriguing.

As for the tomato juice - it perhaps was just not sweetened as some are.
Fermented tomato juice could be dangerous - I believe it creates toxins.

JonquilJan (Temple/Ambler '59)

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Old 09-11-2003, 11:11 PM
PENMART01
Usenet poster

"JonquilJan" writes:

Fermented tomato juice could be dangerous - I believe it creates toxins.

But of course, AA toxins, you drunken slut.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 09-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Ribitt
Usenet poster

wrote in message ...

As I sat at the table reading a newspaper and sipping on
the tomato juice, I noticed that the juice had a strange
taste. The juice didn't seem spoiled, but it did have an
unusual flavor; sort of like a light vinegar flavor. I
asked the waitress to switch my juice to pineapple. The
pineapple juice was fine, as was my sausage and eggs, but
I kept thinking about that tomato juice. I never tasted
anything quite like that juice before. Then as I was
walking down South Street shooting some photos, it dawned
on me. I think the juice had started to ferment.

Does this make sense? I never heard of tomato juice
fermenting before, esp. in a restaurant where they would
probably not have any juice sitting around very long.
Has anyone else experienced this with tomato juice? I am
a big fan of tomato juice. I like it much better than
orange juice, esp. at breakfast.

A friend in the restaurant business says that tomato juice, opened, in a
can, has a shelf life in the refrigerator of 2 days, maybe 3. In glass it is
5 days, maybe 6. This particular bistro now uses only the small single
serving cans of the stuff.

Old 10-11-2003, 02:52 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

JonquilJan wrote:

Very interesting photos Stan. Water (fluid) dropping into water (fluid) in
a clear bowl (glass) over a checkered cloth. The images on D13 are
especially intriguing.

Thanks. You're close. The photos involved lining my bathroom sink with a dish towel,
then simply dripping water from my hand just out of range of the camera's lens.

As for the tomato juice - it perhaps was just not sweetened as some are.
Fermented tomato juice could be dangerous - I believe it creates toxins.

JonquilJan (Temple/Ambler '59)

Glad to hear from a Temple graduate!

dark choc + orange juice Dan Birchall Chocolate 2 19-03-2004 10:49 PM
Key Lime Pie MelissaT Baking 4 07-11-2003 07:55 PM
Fresh and hard cider, and pear juice. Yum! Greg Zywicki General Cooking 0 03-11-2003 04:04 PM
How Can I Duplicate this Tomato Sauce? Johnny1 General Cooking 18 31-10-2003 05:04 PM
Apple Juice, unpasturized and no sorbate butch burton General Cooking 10 23-10-2003 05:01 AM