Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default tomato juice

All the recipes I have seen for juice have you not peeling the
tomatoes. On the other hand, you are supposed to peel the tomatoes
when making puree. I don't get it. In both cases you end up
straining out seeds and so on and squishing it to a pulp. I know
that leaving the skins on would jam up my juicer device to some
extent, and also the skins are sort of bitter. So why do the recipes
say to leave on the skins? I never have, but I guess it would save
time if it didn't mess up the juicer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:29:54 -0700 (PDT), heteroscedastic wrote:

> All the recipes I have seen for juice have you not peeling the
> tomatoes. On the other hand, you are supposed to peel the tomatoes
> when making puree. I don't get it. In both cases you end up
> straining out seeds and so on and squishing it to a pulp. I know
> that leaving the skins on would jam up my juicer device to some
> extent, and also the skins are sort of bitter. So why do the recipes
> say to leave on the skins? I never have, but I guess it would save
> time if it didn't mess up the juicer.

Because the skins will end up in the finished puree but not in the juice.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 12:59*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:29:54 -0700 (PDT), heteroscedastic wrote:
> > All the recipes I have seen for juice have you not peeling the
> > tomatoes. *On the other hand, you are supposed to peel the tomatoes
> > when making puree. *I don't get it. *In both cases you end up
> > straining *out seeds and so on and squishing it to a pulp. *I know
> > that leaving the skins on would jam up my juicer device to some
> > extent, and also the skins are sort of bitter. *So why do the recipes
> > say to leave on the skins? *I never have, but I guess it would save
> > time if it didn't mess up the juicer.

> Because the skins will end up in the finished puree but not in the juice.
>
> -sw

I don't see how skins would be in the puree any more than in the
juice. I would run both through my machine,
don't know what it is called but it has a conical feed auger similar
to a meat grinder and a conical screen nose
on it--the juice and pulp go thru the screen into a pot or something
and the seeds and heavy junk (and skins if there were any) come out
the end of the nose and into a bucket. I think this is how anybody
would start to make puree, and it is how I make juice, except
that I don't have skins in the mix.

Maybe it all depends on what people have for tools to use. We make
120-150 quarts of juice every year and would have been in rehab with
repetitive motion injuries long ago if we had to use a foley food
mill. I run the juicer with an electric drill and it works like a
champ.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:59:54 -0700 (PDT), heteroscedastic wrote:

> On Aug 22, 12:59*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:29:54 -0700 (PDT), heteroscedastic wrote:
>>> All the recipes I have seen for juice have you not peeling the
>>> tomatoes. *On the other hand, you are supposed to peel the tomatoes
>>> when making puree. *I don't get it. *In both cases you end up
>>> straining *out seeds and so on and squishing it to a pulp. *I know
>>> that leaving the skins on would jam up my juicer device to some
>>> extent, and also the skins are sort of bitter. *So why do the recipes
>>> say to leave on the skins? *I never have, but I guess it would save
>>> time if it didn't mess up the juicer.

>> Because the skins will end up in the finished puree but not in the juice.
>>
>> -sw

> I don't see how skins would be in the puree any more than in the
> juice. I would run both through my machine,

I assumed you were using a juicer and a blender. I'm not in the "machine
guessing game".

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
heteroscedastic > wrote:

> On Aug 22, 12:59*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:29:54 -0700 (PDT), heteroscedastic wrote:
> > > All the recipes I have seen for juice have you not peeling the
> > > tomatoes. *On the other hand, you are supposed to peel the tomatoes
> > > when making puree. *I don't get it. *In both cases you end up
> > > straining *out seeds and so on and squishing it to a pulp. *I know
> > > that leaving the skins on would jam up my juicer device to some
> > > extent, and also the skins are sort of bitter. *So why do the recipes
> > > say to leave on the skins? *I never have, but I guess it would save
> > > time if it didn't mess up the juicer.

> > Because the skins will end up in the finished puree but not in the juice.
> >
> > -sw

> I don't see how skins would be in the puree any more than in the
> juice. I would run both through my machine,
> don't know what it is called

Among other things, it's called a Squeezo.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:25:10 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> heteroscedastic > wrote:

>> > Because the skins will end up in the finished puree but not in the juice.
>> >
>> > -sw

>> I don't see how skins would be in the puree any more than in the
>> juice. I would run both through my machine,
>> don't know what it is called

>Among other things, it's called a Squeezo.

Isn't "Squeezo" the name for the new line of Victoria's Secret bras
for the well endowed?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
heteroscedastic > wrote:

> All the recipes I have seen for juice have you not peeling the
> tomatoes. On the other hand, you are supposed to peel the tomatoes
> when making puree. I don't get it. In both cases you end up
> straining out seeds and so on and squishing it to a pulp. I know
> that leaving the skins on would jam up my juicer device to some
> extent, and also the skins are sort of bitter. So why do the recipes
> say to leave on the skins? I never have, but I guess it would save
> time if it didn't mess up the juicer.

What is your distinction between tomato puree, tomato sauce, and tomato
juice?

The National Center for Home Food Preservation has identical prep
methods for tomato sauce (unseasoned) and tomato juice: cook with skins,
then mill to to remove skins and seeds.

When I make juice, I use this:
http://www.mendingshed.com/200strainer.html

The whole idea is to separate the skins and seeds from the pulp and the
juice. Works a treat. What kind of juicer device are you using that
you are concerned about jamming it up?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:04:37 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article
>,
> heteroscedastic > wrote:
>
>> All the recipes I have seen for juice have you not peeling the
>> tomatoes. On the other hand, you are supposed to peel the tomatoes
>> when making puree. I don't get it. In both cases you end up
>> straining out seeds and so on and squishing it to a pulp. I know
>> that leaving the skins on would jam up my juicer device to some
>> extent, and also the skins are sort of bitter. So why do the recipes
>> say to leave on the skins? I never have, but I guess it would save
>> time if it didn't mess up the juicer.

>What is your distinction between tomato puree, tomato sauce, and tomato
>juice?
>
>The National Center for Home Food Preservation has identical prep
>methods for tomato sauce (unseasoned) and tomato juice: cook with skins,
>then mill to to remove skins and seeds.
>
>When I make juice, I use this:
>http://www.mendingshed.com/200strainer.html
>
>The whole idea is to separate the skins and seeds from the pulp and the
>juice. Works a treat. What kind of juicer device are you using that
>you are concerned about jamming it up?

You can't really make tomato juice at home from fresh tomatoes... it
won't taste anything like commercial tomato juice nor will it have the
same texture. The only way to make tomato juice that's like what you
buy is to dilute tomato paste... tomawto juice made from tomato paste
tastes most like fresh tomatoes because it's so minimally heated, the
excess water is removed by a special vacuum evaporator process. all
commercial tomato juice is made from tomato paste/concentrate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:

> You can't really make tomato juice at home from fresh tomatoes... it
> won't taste anything like commercial tomato juice nor will it have the
> same texture.

So because it doesn't taste or pour like commercial tomato juice, you think
it isn't REAL tomato juice? Damn, the voices have you brainwashed GOOD! LOL

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Clueless AOL newbie Sheldon "Pussy" Katz blathered:
>
>> You can't really make tomato juice at home from fresh tomatoes... it>>
>> won't taste anything like commercial tomato juice nor will it have the
>> same texture.

> So because it doesn't taste or pour like commercial tomato juice, you
> think it isn't REAL tomato juice? Damn, the voices have you brainwashed
> GOOD! LOL

I find mine pretty close, except it is less salty and tastes better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
brooklyn1 > wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:04:37 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article
> >,
> > heteroscedastic > wrote:
> >
> >> All the recipes I have seen for juice have you not peeling the
> >> tomatoes. On the other hand, you are supposed to peel the tomatoes
> >> when making puree. I don't get it. In both cases you end up
> >> straining out seeds and so on and squishing it to a pulp. I know
> >> that leaving the skins on would jam up my juicer device to some
> >> extent, and also the skins are sort of bitter. So why do the recipes
> >> say to leave on the skins? I never have, but I guess it would save
> >> time if it didn't mess up the juicer.

> >What is your distinction between tomato puree, tomato sauce, and tomato
> >juice?
> >
> >The National Center for Home Food Preservation has identical prep
> >methods for tomato sauce (unseasoned) and tomato juice: cook with skins,
> >then mill to to remove skins and seeds.
> >
> >When I make juice, I use this:
> >http://www.mendingshed.com/200strainer.html
> >
> >The whole idea is to separate the skins and seeds from the pulp and the
> >juice. Works a treat. What kind of juicer device are you using that
> >you are concerned about jamming it up?

> You can't really make tomato juice at home from fresh tomatoes... it
> won't taste anything like commercial tomato juice nor will it have the
> same texture. The only way to make tomato juice that's like what you
> buy is to dilute tomato paste

Bullshit.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew;
sometimes in a pickle."
Where are my pearls, Honey?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 4:33*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>

> *brooklyn1 > wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:04:37 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > > wrote:

> > >In article
> > >,

> > >What is your distinction between tomato puree, tomato sauce, and tomato
> > >juice?

> > >The National Center for Home Food Preservation has identical prep
> > >methods for tomato sauce (unseasoned) and tomato juice: cook with skins,
> > >then mill to to remove skins and seeds.

> > >When I make juice, I use this:
> > >http://www.mendingshed.com/200strainer.html

> > >The whole idea is to separate the skins and seeds from the pulp and the
> > >juice. *Works a treat. *What kind of juicer device are you using that
> > >you are concerned about jamming it up? *

> > You can't really make tomato juice at home from fresh tomatoes... it
> > won't taste anything like commercial tomato juice nor will it have the
> > same texture. *The only way to make tomato juice that's like what you
> > buy is to dilute tomato paste

> Bullshit.

The inimitable Heinz Canada Fancy Tomato Juice, which we used to run
over the border to buy, from the "Sun Parlour" of Ontario near
Leamington, is made from fresh tomatoes, not concentrate. Leamington
was the first place I saw a grocery store selling sugar by the 50
pound sack, for preserving I presume.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:04:37 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >In article
>> >,

>> >What is your distinction between tomato puree, tomato sauce, and tomato
>> >juice?
>> >
>> >The National Center for Home Food Preservation has identical prep
>> >methods for tomato sauce (unseasoned) and tomato juice: cook with skins,
>> >then mill to to remove skins and seeds.
>> >
>> >When I make juice, I use this:
>> >http://www.mendingshed.com/200strainer.html
>> >
>> >The whole idea is to separate the skins and seeds from the pulp and the
>> >juice. Works a treat. What kind of juicer device are you using that
>> >you are concerned about jamming it up?

>> You can't really make tomato juice at home from fresh tomatoes... it
>> won't taste anything like commercial tomato juice nor will it have the
>> same texture. The only way to make tomato juice that's like what you
>> buy is to dilute tomato paste

> Bullshit.

lol
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

tomato juice songbird Preserving 7 10-09-2015 04:51 PM
Tomato juice from concentrate James[_1_] General Cooking 14 25-05-2008 03:30 PM
Tomato Juice Scott Martin Recipes (moderated) 0 26-08-2007 03:22 PM
Acidic tomato juice connie Preserving 16 08-03-2004 09:21 PM
Tomato juice fermentation? [email protected] General Cooking 4 10-11-2003 02:52 AM