Kate

Default Korean cooking question

I have a Korean cookbook that calls for Denjang paste in soups and stews.
The glossary describes it as "Fermented soybean paste... used as flavor
enhancer and soup thickener".
Sounds very much like miso to me - can anyone with experience of both say
what the difference is?
Thanks.

BillKirch

>I have a Korean cookbook that calls for Denjang paste in soups and stews.
>The glossary describes it as "Fermented soybean paste..

>say
>what the difference is?
>Thanks.

It's a red paste that you can buy in a korean grocery store or online. I use it
to mix with korean pork and several other dishes. It is spicy. Being a white
guy everytime I go to a Korean store to buy groceries they ask me if I'm
married to a Korean girl. I'm not. pretty funny. BG
BillKirch

>That's Kochujang. Denjang is brownish colored and isn't spicy at all.
>It tastes like miso,

Yes you're right. BG