Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eating on the phone?

Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?

I can't count the number of times I've heard an appeal for
funds over the chewing of what I assume was a hamburger.

Perhaps next time I will ask.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-10-07, Gloria P > wrote:

> I can't count the number of times I've heard an appeal for
> funds over the chewing of what I assume was a hamburger.
>
> Perhaps next time I will ask.

Heh heh....

My latest revelation is that telephone bill collectors (mom's bills)
have latched onto the concept of "law" as a tool. Foo Legal Group and
Foo Law Offices seems to be the new name of every collection agency
around. Actual concepts like real law be damned.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
> is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?
>
> I can't count the number of times I've heard an appeal for
> funds over the chewing of what I assume was a hamburger.
>
> Perhaps next time I will ask.
>
> gloria p

Sounds excessively rude to me! Ick.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
> is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?

Being that they're likely on the phone a lot, how can they
miss how awful chewing sounds on the other end of the
phone? EWWW

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message

> Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
> is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?
>
> I can't count the number of times I've heard an appeal for
> funds over the chewing of what I assume was a hamburger.
>
> Perhaps next time I will ask.

Nice to know you keep the important things in focus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:17:02 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

> Gloria P wrote:
>> Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
>> is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?

> Being that they're likely on the phone a lot, how can they
> miss how awful chewing sounds on the other end of the
> phone? EWWW
>
> nancy

fight fire with fire and take your phone into the john.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:17:02 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Gloria P wrote:
>>> Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
>>> is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?

>> Being that they're likely on the phone a lot, how can they
>> miss how awful chewing sounds on the other end of the
>> phone? EWWW
>>
>> nancy

> fight fire with fire and take your phone into the john.

hahaha

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 6, 8:43*pm, notbob > wrote:
> On 2009-10-07, Gloria P > wrote:
>
> > I can't count the number of times I've heard an appeal for
> > funds over the chewing of what I assume was a hamburger.

> > Perhaps next time I will ask.

> Heh heh....
>
> My latest revelation is that telephone bill collectors (mom's bills)
> have latched onto the concept of "law" as a tool. *Foo Legal Group and
> Foo Law Offices seems to be the new name of every collection agency
> around. *Actual concepts like real law be damned.
>
> nb

Many law firms do collections. Times are tough for everyone. Not all
callers identifying themselves as a law office are liars.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 22:17:02 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > Gloria P wrote:
> >> Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
> >> is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?

> > Being that they're likely on the phone a lot, how can they
> > miss how awful chewing sounds on the other end of the
> > phone? EWWW
> >
> > nancy

> fight fire with fire and take your phone into the john.
>
> your pal,
> blake

ROFL! Good plan Blake. ;-D
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/home?tab=mq>

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> But Bill Collectors are the scum of
> the earth. And they're almost always aggressive and disrespectful
> blacks.
>
> -sw

How do you know they aren't aggressive and disrespectful Martians?

And if a bill you owe has gone to collection, do they owe you respect?

Way over the top, Stevie.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>>
>> Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
>> is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?
>>
>> I can't count the number of times I've heard an appeal for
>> funds over the chewing of what I assume was a hamburger.
>>
>> Perhaps next time I will ask.
>>

> Nice to know you keep the important things in focus.

You know, I used to wonder why folks picked on you.

At least the piost was food related.

Do us both a favor and killfile me, willya?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> cybercat wrote:
>> "Gloria P" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
>>> is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?
>>>
>>> I can't count the number of times I've heard an appeal for
>>> funds over the chewing of what I assume was a hamburger.
>>>
>>> Perhaps next time I will ask.
>>>

>> Nice to know you keep the important things in focus.
>>

> You know, I used to wonder why folks picked on you.
>
> At least the piost was food related.
>
> Do us both a favor and killfile me, willya?

Heh...

I saw this in an advice column, immediately thought of the cyberscat:

"Friend acts like toddler, throws tantrums

Dear Amy: I have a friend who is 76. She is a hard worker with a good heart,
but when she is crossed she throws a tantrum just like a little kid.

She is quite assertive, even bossy. She is harshly judgmental and does not
like to be denied and/or crossed.

What is the best way of dealing with tantrums -- are there some general
guidelines?

Probably the best advice is not to attempt to deal with or control a person
who is having a tantrum.

But how is this best done?

-- Befuddled Friend

Dear Befuddled: When a toddler is having a tantrum, one effective technique
is to make a simple declarative statement, i.e., "You need to calm down
now" -- accompanied by a calm, unflappable attitude.

Once the tantrum is over, water or juice in a sippy cup should be offered,
and a short discussion about behavior can commence.

You are correct that it is fairly useless to try to intervene or control a
person during a tantrum, but your friend is an adult, so you should explain
how her behavior affects you.

Say, "I feel bullied, and I want you to know that I don't like it. I'm
giving you advance notice that when I feel you're out of control, I don't
want to be around you, so the next time this happens, I'm going to have to
leave."

Then you have to prove you're true to your word..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I was once talking with a lady at a reservation center when I hiccupped into
the phone. She laughed and I apologized. She went on to tell me that
wasn't the worst thing she heard on the phone by a long shot. Seems some
people think nothing of taking their phone into the bathroom with
them.......

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Gloria P > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:

> > But Bill Collectors are the scum of
> > the earth. And they're almost always aggressive and disrespectful

> How do you know they aren't aggressive and disrespectful Martians?
>
> And if a bill you owe has gone to collection, do they owe you respect?

Yes, they do. Some of these debts are disputed. Some people incur
large medical or legal debts that simply cannot be paid. Some people
are in the process of filing bankruptcy. There are laws forbidding
overly aggressive collection tactics.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 12:27*pm, Gloria P > wrote:
> And if a bill you owe has gone to collection, do they owe you respect?

No as long as you agree that anyone caught parking illegally is
deseving of having their car sent to the crusher. And anyone smoking
in public is deserving of being spat upon.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I never understood this telephone stuff. I own the phone and I pay for the
service. If someone calls me and they are rude or I don't want to talk with
them, I say good-bye and hang up.

I use my phone on my terms. I'm polite, but hey, it is my dime so I make
the rules.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in
on Oct Wed 2009 02:52 pm

> I never understood this telephone stuff. I own the phone and I pay
> for the service. If someone calls me and they are rude or I don't
> want to talk with them, I say good-bye and hang up.
>
> I use my phone on my terms. I'm polite, but hey, it is my dime so I
> make the rules.
>
> George L

I don't tend to eat on the phone as it would get messy and the buttons would be hard to push.

Or I'd lose my balance and fall off spilling food all over.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
>I was once talking with a lady at a reservation center when I hiccupped
>into the phone. She laughed and I apologized. She went on to tell me that
>wasn't the worst thing she heard on the phone by a long shot. Seems some
>people think nothing of taking their phone into the bathroom with
>them.......

The first time I heard someone speaking from a stall in a public ladies
room, I thought they were talking to me. lol Well, I was the only other
person in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
> On Oct 7, 12:27 pm, Gloria P > wrote:
>> And if a bill you owe has gone to collection, do they owe you respect?

> No as long as you agree that anyone caught parking illegally is
> deseving of having their car sent to the crusher. And anyone smoking
> in public is deserving of being spat upon.
>
> John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted that. I was really annoyed at
sqwertz's remark and the inherent racism therein.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've gotten some calls that sound like they're talking under water.

I don't answer the house phone anymore. The machine answers after two wrings.
"You have 10 seconds after the beep." Get it over with, ya know?!!

By now, everyone who matters calls my cell phone.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 15:15:16 -0600, Gloria P wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I shouldn't have posted that. I was really annoyed at
>> sqwertz's remark and the inherent racism therein.

> I was just making a very true observation. Has to world become so
> PC that every sentence has taboo possibilities? That we have to
> pass whatever we say through our lawyers first?
>
> Would it have changed things if I had said "african americans", or
> even "White people"?
>
> -sw

You said "But Bill Collectors are the scum of
the earth. And they're almost always aggressive and
disrespectful blacks."

I would have chosen: "And they're almost always aggressive and
disrespectful."

OTOH my only experience with bill collectors was for time we were
called by a collection agency for an E.R copay for which we had
never received a bill from the hospital. I have no idea what
race the caller was.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
> is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?
>
> I can't count the number of times I've heard an appeal for
> funds over the chewing of what I assume was a hamburger.
>
> Perhaps next time I will ask.
>
> gloria p

Those people I don't even bother to talk to. I just hang up on them.

OTOH, I find people that answer/make calls on their cell phone while at
a restaurant quite annoying.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy said...

> By now, everyone who matters calls my cell phone.

Also, a new to me cell phone feature is picture caller-ID.

In the cell phone's contacts list, if I paste a picture of a person into
their record, when they call, instead of the number/name displaying, the
picture of them pops up! How much more pleasant can it get than THAT?

Gotta love it!!!

Andy
Embracing high tech since inception.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Bob Muncie > wrote:

> Gloria P wrote:
> >

> > Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
> > is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?
> >
> > I can't count the number of times I've heard an appeal for
> > funds over the chewing of what I assume was a hamburger.
> >
> > Perhaps next time I will ask.
> >
> > gloria p

> Those people I don't even bother to talk to. I just hang up on them.

When I get calls from Very Important Politicians, I hang up. Even if
there is a voice response unit responding to me, I know it is still a
recording.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Andy said...
>
>> By now, everyone who matters calls my cell phone.

> Also, a new to me cell phone feature is picture caller-ID.
>
> In the cell phone's contacts list, if I paste a picture of a person into
> their record, when they call, instead of the number/name displaying, the
> picture of them pops up! How much more pleasant can it get than THAT?
>
> Gotta love it!!!
>
> Andy
> Embracing high tech since inception.

Can you imagine the fun picking out the pictures of your choice for
those you don't like receiving calls from? :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Andy said...
>>
>>> By now, everyone who matters calls my cell phone.

>> Also, a new to me cell phone feature is picture caller-ID.
>>
>> In the cell phone's contacts list, if I paste a picture of a person into
>> their record, when they call, instead of the number/name displaying, the
>> picture of them pops up! How much more pleasant can it get than THAT?
>>
>> Gotta love it!!!
>>
>> Andy
>> Embracing high tech since inception.

> Can you imagine the fun picking out the pictures of your choice for
> those you don't like receiving calls from? :-)
>
> Bob

Bob,

I have almost countless (not quite yet black- and whitelist call options.
complete with assigning chosen callers a busy signal if they call.

I'm glad to be in this day and age of such advanced communications!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Bob Muncie said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Andy said...

>>> Also, a new to me cell phone feature is picture caller-ID.
>>>
>>> In the cell phone's contacts list, if I paste a picture of a person into
>>> their record, when they call, instead of the number/name displaying, the
>>> picture of them pops up! How much more pleasant can it get than THAT?
>>>
>>> Gotta love it!!!
>>>
>>> Andy
>>> Embracing high tech since inception.

>> Can you imagine the fun picking out the pictures of your choice for
>> those you don't like receiving calls from? :-)
>>
>> Bob

> Bob,
>
> I have almost countless (not quite yet black- and whitelist call options.
> complete with assigning chosen callers a busy signal if they call.
>
> I'm glad to be in this day and age of such advanced communications!
>
> Andy

I know you have to have fun doing it... I would. I also have a few
thousand pics that are of various things. Some have captions, some are
funny on their own, and some express things I would not share in public
and would be perfect for a few I can think of as a view when receiving a
call from them >

Hope you have a nice overnight... BTW, I'm having Strawberry lite yogurt
for breakfast in the morning :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OB Food: the remaining half a small MW pan of Marie Calendar's meat lasagne,
lazing in the La-Z-Boy in front of the tube watching the Dodgers vs.
Cardinals.

Go Cards!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> OB Food: the remaining half a small MW pan of Marie Calendar's meat lasagne,
> lazing in the La-Z-Boy in front of the tube watching the Dodgers vs.
> Cardinals.
>
> Go Cards!
>
> Andy

You are being scary now Andy... I had Stouffer's Lasagna for a rather
late lunch today... I was being lazy, and had a power outage from around
11pm last night, till 3pm today.

But I sigh in comfort as I don't have a lazyboy (just a regular
recliner), and I only like baseball if I actually go to the game. I will
get the freshly roasted peanuts while there also :-)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie said...

> Andy wrote:
>> OB Food: the remaining half a small MW pan of Marie Calendar's meat
>> lasagne, lazing in the La-Z-Boy in front of the tube watching the
>> Dodgers vs. Cardinals.
>>
>> Go Cards!
>>
>> Andy

> You are being scary now Andy... I had Stouffer's Lasagna for a rather
> late lunch today... I was being lazy, and had a power outage from around
> 11pm last night, till 3pm today.

Bob,

Heh heh heh!

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:26:29 -0600, Gloria P wrote:

> > You said "But Bill Collectors are the scum of
> > the earth. And they're almost always aggressive and
> > disrespectful blacks."
> >
> > I would have chosen: "And they're almost always aggressive and
> > disrespectful."

> Why can't I say the race of the people calling? Why do I have to
> cut my sentance short? What I say is the truth.

As disclosed by your picture phone? That's odd. I don't have a picture
phone, and don't know where to get one. Tell us more about your picture
phone.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 7, 9:23*am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> hahaha

Nice to know you keep the important things in focus.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
50...
> "George Leppla" > wrote in
> on Oct Wed 2009 02:52 pm
>
>> I never understood this telephone stuff. I own the phone and I pay
>> for the service. If someone calls me and they are rude or I don't
>> want to talk with them, I say good-bye and hang up.
>>
>> I use my phone on my terms. I'm polite, but hey, it is my dime so I
>> make the rules.
>>
>> George L
>>

> I don't tend to eat on the phone as it would get messy and the buttons
> would be hard to push.
>
> Or I'd lose my balance and fall off spilling food all over.

LOL not just me thinking that way then?)))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Oct 7, 9:23 am, "cybercat" > wrote:

> hahaha

>Nice to know you keep the important things in focus.

Time to wash your socks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:26:29 -0600, Gloria P wrote:

>> > You said "But Bill Collectors are the scum of
>> > the earth. And they're almost always aggressive and
>> > disrespectful blacks."
>> >
>> > I would have chosen: "And they're almost always aggressive and
>> > disrespectful."

>> Why can't I say the race of the people calling? Why do I have to
>> cut my sentance short? What I say is the truth.

> As disclosed by your picture phone? That's odd. I don't have a picture
> phone, and don't know where to get one. Tell us more about your picture
> phone.

I like Gloria talking to Wertz. The unspeakable addressing the
unintelligible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> Gloria P wrote:
>>

>> Does a political fund raiser think his phone solicitation
>> is more attractive if he's eating something during the call?
>>
>> I can't count the number of times I've heard an appeal for
>> funds over the chewing of what I assume was a hamburger.
>>
>> Perhaps next time I will ask.
>>
>> gloria p

> Those people I don't even bother to talk to. I just hang up on them.

I have never noticed this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 10:27:10 -0600, Gloria P >
wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>

>> But Bill Collectors are the scum of
>> the earth. And they're almost always aggressive and disrespectful
>> blacks.
>>
>> -sw

>How do you know they aren't aggressive and disrespectful Martians?

He needs someone to look down on.

>And if a bill you owe has gone to collection, do they owe you respect?

Bill collecting is an industry that hasn't evolved very far. I say
garnish wages and be done with it.

>Way over the top, Stevie.

Typical redneck attitude.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:18:50 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>I have almost countless (not quite yet black- and whitelist call options.
>complete with assigning chosen callers a busy signal if they call.

Who is your provider?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:38:42 -0400, Bob Muncie >
wrote:

>OTOH, I find people that answer/make calls on their cell phone while at
>a restaurant quite annoying.

As a diner who has to watch/listen to that stuff occasionally.... I
can only surmise it's done to impress fellow diners with how important
they are. Can't even take a meal break without conducting business.
Busy, busy, busy!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:38:42 -0400, Bob Muncie >
> wrote:
>
>> OTOH, I find people that answer/make calls on their cell phone while at
>> a restaurant quite annoying.

> As a diner who has to watch/listen to that stuff occasionally.... I
> can only surmise it's done to impress fellow diners with how important
> they are. Can't even take a meal break without conducting business.
> Busy, busy, busy!

I hope you are not squandering your vacation time, and spending $.37 per
minute responding to me!!!

Save your money. Get off the spotty wifi, have more fun, and report back
when appropriate :-)

And know you are having fun for many of us... assuming you do good
follow-ups.

Bob

Got phone! gregz General Cooking 0 19-11-2012 04:58 AM
Eating Puppy Meat Is the Same as Eating Pork, British TV Chef Says Stephen Newport General Cooking 14 14-10-2011 12:03 AM
(2009-10-08) NS-RFC: Eating... while on the phone ChattyCathy General Cooking 8 09-10-2009 01:30 AM
Where is a mobile phone :-) PEO from ITALY General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 06:38 PM
Where is a mobile phone ;-) PEO from ITALY General Cooking 0 10-10-2006 08:31 AM