sf

Default Pear Chutney

I just checked my outbox and this was among the unsent
messages. It didn't have a subject header and I don't
remember why I wanted to post this recipe (on Oct 30).... so
if anyone finds it of interest... please enjoy!

````````````````

Pear Chutney (Ball Blue Book)

4 quarts finely chopped pitted pears
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
2 to 3 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup mustard seed
2 tablespoons ginger
2 teaspoons salt
1 clove garlic, minced (optional -- I use three or four)
1 hot red pepper, finely chopped (I used a tablespoon of hot
pepper flakes)
5 cups vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a large non-reactive saucepot.
Cook slowly until thick, about 40 minutes.

Stir frequently to prevent sticking.

Ladle hot chutney into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a
boiling-water canner.

Yield: about 7 pints.

Jack Schidt®

"sf" > wrote in message

> I just checked my outbox and this was among the unsent
> messages. It didn't have a subject header and I don't
> remember why I wanted to post this recipe (on Oct 30).... so
> if anyone finds it of interest... please enjoy!
>
> ````````````````
>
> Pear Chutney (Ball Blue Book)

I wish you'd have actually posted it on the 30th; I'd have worn it for
halloween!

Kiiiiding....I saved this one for the near future. I see it on a plate next
to some spicy grilled pork. Thanks for posting it.

Jack Dish

sf

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:50:52 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Pear Chutney (Ball Blue Book)
> >

> I wish you'd have actually posted it on the 30th; I'd have worn it for
> halloween!
>
> Kiiiiding....I saved this one for the near future. I see it on a plate next
> to some spicy grilled pork. Thanks for posting it.

Mmmm. Sounds like a great idea!

What's your recipe (or approximate ingredients) for the
marinade?
Jack Schidt®

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:50:52 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> > wrote:
>

> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > Pear Chutney (Ball Blue Book)
> > >

> > I wish you'd have actually posted it on the 30th; I'd have worn it for
> > halloween!
> >
> > Kiiiiding....I saved this one for the near future. I see it on a plate

next
> > to some spicy grilled pork. Thanks for posting it.
> >

> Mmmm. Sounds like a great idea!
>
> What's your recipe (or approximate ingredients) for the
> marinade?

I use this sometimes for chops and those small tenderloins: fish sauce and
chipotle, lotsa garlic. I marinade for about an hour (well the pork does)
and then grill over very high heat. Quick and easy.

Jack Puerco