difference between Pork & Ham ?

Old 10-09-2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default difference between Pork & Ham ?

+ Ive been doing my own cooking for many years, but, it
just occurred to me last night... Pork has a white color...
Ham has a red color - but, both are from pigs. How does
this work ?

True, turkeys contain both white and dark meat... but,
every beef product Ive ever seen was red meat.

Can anybody explain the difference between white pork
and red ?

thanks

Old 10-09-2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
ps.com...
+ Ive been doing my own cooking for many years, but, it
just occurred to me last night... Pork has a white color...
Ham has a red color - but, both are from pigs. How does
this work ?

True, turkeys contain both white and dark meat... but,
every beef product Ive ever seen was red meat.

Can anybody explain the difference between white pork
and red ?

thanks

Read:
http://schmidling.com/ham.htm

Old 10-09-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
ps.com...
+ Ive been doing my own cooking for many years, but, it
just occurred to me last night... Pork has a white color...
Ham has a red color - but, both are from pigs. How does
this work ?

True, turkeys contain both white and dark meat... but,
every beef product Ive ever seen was red meat.

Can anybody explain the difference between white pork
and red ?

thanks

Read:
http://schmidling.com/ham.htm

Good link.

I like to use cottage rolls (cottage hams) for my dutch pea soup when I
can't find a nice ham hock. I've never brined my own but I usuualy get
oversized rolls so I have leftovers for breakfast.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

All ham is pork, but not all pork is ham. This concludes the most
useless post I have put up all day.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:
All ham is pork, but not all pork is ham. This concludes the most
useless post I have put up all day.

From Wikipedia:

"Technically, ham is the thigh and rump of any animal that is
slaughtered for meat, but the term is usually restricted to a cut of
pork, the haunch of a pig or boar."
Old 11-09-2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com,
Christopher Helms wrote:

All ham is pork, but not all pork is ham. This concludes the most
useless post I have put up all day.

I've seen Turkey hams for sale.

Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article . com,
Christopher Helms wrote:

All ham is pork, but not all pork is ham. This concludes the most
useless post I have put up all day.

I've seen Turkey hams for sale.

But those are made from breast meat, not turkey hams.

--Blair
"They's jackasses in the turkey bidness."
Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:24:25 -0400, Al Fansome
wrote:

Christopher Helms wrote:
All ham is pork, but not all pork is ham. This concludes the most
useless post I have put up all day.

From Wikipedia:

"Technically, ham is the thigh and rump of any animal that is
slaughtered for meat, but the term is usually restricted to a cut of
pork, the haunch of a pig or boar."

somehow, i first read 'pig or boar' as 'polar bear.'

your pal,
blake
Old 13-09-2007, 01:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 2:19 pm, wrote:
+ Ive been doing my own cooking for many years, but, it
just occurred to me last night...Porkhas a white color...Hamhas a red color - but, both are from pigs. How does
this work ?

True, turkeys contain both white and dark meat... but,
every beef product Ive ever seen was red meat.

Can anybody explain the difference between whitepork
and red ?

thanks

thanks for all the excellent answers !