Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default difference between Pork & Ham ?

+ Ive been doing my own cooking for many years, but, it
just occurred to me last night... Pork has a white color...
Ham has a red color - but, both are from pigs. How does
this work ?

True, turkeys contain both white and dark meat... but,
every beef product Ive ever seen was red meat.

Can anybody explain the difference between white pork
and red ?

thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ps.com...
>+ Ive been doing my own cooking for many years, but, it
> just occurred to me last night... Pork has a white color...
> Ham has a red color - but, both are from pigs. How does
> this work ?
>
> True, turkeys contain both white and dark meat... but,
> every beef product Ive ever seen was red meat.
>
> Can anybody explain the difference between white pork
> and red ?
>
> thanks

Read:
http://schmidling.com/ham.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>>+ Ive been doing my own cooking for many years, but, it
>> just occurred to me last night... Pork has a white color...
>> Ham has a red color - but, both are from pigs. How does
>> this work ?
>>
>> True, turkeys contain both white and dark meat... but,
>> every beef product Ive ever seen was red meat.
>>
>> Can anybody explain the difference between white pork
>> and red ?
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Read:
> http://schmidling.com/ham.htm

Good link.

I like to use cottage rolls (cottage hams) for my dutch pea soup when I
can't find a nice ham hock. I've never brined my own but I usuualy get
oversized rolls so I have leftovers for breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

All ham is pork, but not all pork is ham. This concludes the most
useless post I have put up all day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christopher Helms wrote:
> All ham is pork, but not all pork is ham. This concludes the most
> useless post I have put up all day.

From Wikipedia:

"Technically, ham is the thigh and rump of any animal that is
slaughtered for meat, but the term is usually restricted to a cut of
pork, the haunch of a pig or boar."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
Christopher Helms > wrote:

> All ham is pork, but not all pork is ham. This concludes the most
> useless post I have put up all day.

I've seen Turkey hams for sale.

<g>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
>In article . com>,
> Christopher Helms > wrote:
>
>> All ham is pork, but not all pork is ham. This concludes the most
>> useless post I have put up all day.

>I've seen Turkey hams for sale.

But those are made from breast meat, not turkey hams.

--Blair
"They's jackasses in the turkey bidness."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:24:25 -0400, Al Fansome
> wrote:

>Christopher Helms wrote:
>> All ham is pork, but not all pork is ham. This concludes the most
>> useless post I have put up all day.
>>

> From Wikipedia:
>
>"Technically, ham is the thigh and rump of any animal that is
>slaughtered for meat, but the term is usually restricted to a cut of
>pork, the haunch of a pig or boar."

somehow, i first read 'pig or boar' as 'polar bear.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 2:19 pm, wrote:
> + Ive been doing my own cooking for many years, but, it
> just occurred to me last night...Porkhas a white color...Hamhas a red color - but, both are from pigs. How does
> this work ?
>
> True, turkeys contain both white and dark meat... but,
> every beef product Ive ever seen was red meat.
>
> Can anybody explain the difference between whitepork
> and red ?
>
> thanks

thanks for all the excellent answers !