Milhouse Van Houten

Default Booth Google and I can't find this pasta (dish), please help

This is driving me mad, and I think this may be the only thing I *haven't*
been able to find on all the Internet, mostly because I have absolutely no
idea how to spell it, but it's a type of pasta (or perhaps the name for the
dish you make with the pasta) that phonetically sounds like "gahv-ah-deal."
I recall each being about the size of a typical gnocchi.

Whether it starts with a "c" or "g" or even something else, I don't know,
this the problem.

Thanks

Catbird

"Milhouse Van Houten" > wrote in message
> This is driving me mad, and I think this may be the only thing I *haven't*
> been able to find on all the Internet, mostly because I have absolutely no
> idea how to spell it, but it's a type of pasta (or perhaps the name for

the
> dish you make with the pasta) that phonetically sounds like

"gahv-ah-deal."
> I recall each being about the size of a typical gnocchi.
>
> Whether it starts with a "c" or "g" or even something else, I don't know,
> this the problem.
>
> Thanks

Conchiglie? Sea shell pasta?

--
Catbird

"Oh-oh, her schizo is about to phrenia" - Bob Hope

Bob

Milhouse Van Houten expressed frustration:

> This is driving me mad, and I think this may be the only thing I *haven't*
> been able to find on all the Internet, mostly because I have absolutely no
> idea how to spell it, but it's a type of pasta (or perhaps the name for
> the dish you make with the pasta) that phonetically sounds like
> "gahv-ah-deal."
> I recall each being about the size of a typical gnocchi.
>
> Whether it starts with a "c" or "g" or even something else, I don't know,
> this the problem.

Probably cavatelli.

Bob

Siobhan Perricone

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 07:19:09 GMT, "Milhouse Van Houten"
> wrote:

>This is driving me mad, and I think this may be the only thing I *haven't*
>been able to find on all the Internet, mostly because I have absolutely no
>idea how to spell it, but it's a type of pasta (or perhaps the name for the
>dish you make with the pasta) that phonetically sounds like "gahv-ah-deal."
>I recall each being about the size of a typical gnocchi.

Lemme guess, you heard about it from someone of Sicilian decent? My
husband's Nana pronounces things like that all the time, and when we find
out how they're really spelled we're like "Wha?" She's pure Sicilian,
and I've heard (don't know) that Sicilian's pronounciations of things are
different than a lotta Italian.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or

You have a choice: www.deanforamerica.com
Feel free to contact me about him, he was my governor and "boss" for 10 years.

"If the percent of minorities in your state has anything to do with how you
can connect with African American voters, then Trent Lott would be Martin
Luther King, Jr." - Howard Dean
PScholl105

Yep-what you're looking for is a type of pasta,cavatelli. Us Sicilians, just
pronounce things funny.

Milhouse Van Houten

Thanks everyone. I've checked out some photos of cavatelli, and that must be
it. I did hear it originally from quite an old immigrant, though I'm not
sure what part she's from, and she really didn't even have an accent left
for most words.

This reminds me of the "rih-goat" word used frequently on The Sopranos,
which apparently is "ricotta." Never would have figured that one out
either.

BTW, I meant "both" and not "booth" in the subject line, but that's what you
get when you're up way too late.

Nancy Young

Siobhan Perricone wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 07:19:09 GMT, "Milhouse Van Houten"

> >This is driving me mad, and I think this may be the only thing I *haven't*
> >been able to find on all the Internet, mostly because I have absolutely no
> >idea how to spell it, but it's a type of pasta (or perhaps the name for the
> >dish you make with the pasta) that phonetically sounds like "gahv-ah-deal."

> Lemme guess, you heard about it from someone of Sicilian decent? My
> husband's Nana pronounces things like that all the time, and when we find
> out how they're really spelled we're like "Wha?" She's pure Sicilian,
> and I've heard (don't know) that Sicilian's pronounciations of things are
> different than a lotta Italian.

That's a riot, yeah, there were lots of Sicilians where I grew up,
and you could never look up what they were talking about using the
pronunciation. Gabbagole, pizza don, sauzeech, on and on. RiGaught.
Mootzadell.

Amuses me to hear Martha Stewart pronounce those words in her
precise diction.

nancy
Vince Poroke

"Milhouse Van Houten" > wrote in message news:<NZ7hb.525402$Oz4.391093@rwcrnsc54>...
> This is driving me mad, and I think this may be the only thing I *haven't*
> been able to find on all the Internet, mostly because I have absolutely no
> idea how to spell it, but it's a type of pasta (or perhaps the name for the
> dish you make with the pasta) that phonetically sounds like "gahv-ah-deal."
> I recall each being about the size of a typical gnocchi.
>
> Whether it starts with a "c" or "g" or even something else, I don't know,
> this the problem.
>
> Thanks

Why dont you ask Luigi, Italian restaurant owner or his assistant Salvadore.
Puester

Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

> This is driving me mad, and I think this may be the only thing I *haven't*
> been able to find on all the Internet, mostly because I have absolutely no
> idea how to spell it, but it's a type of pasta (or perhaps the name for the
> dish you make with the pasta) that phonetically sounds like "gahv-ah-deal."
> I recall each being about the size of a typical gnocchi.
>
> Whether it starts with a "c" or "g" or even something else, I don't know,
> this the problem.
>
> Thanks

Try looking under "cavatelli". IME many Italian foods
aren't pronounced anywhere near the way they're spelled.
(For example, many oldtimers in New Haven, CT. pronounce
pizza "uh-BEETZ" and the store signs spell it apizz' .)

gloria p
Adam Schwartz

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Milhouse Van Houten wrote:
> >
> > This is driving me mad, and I think this may be the only thing I

*haven't*
> > been able to find on all the Internet, mostly because I have absolutely

no
> > idea how to spell it, but it's a type of pasta (or perhaps the name for

the
> > dish you make with the pasta) that phonetically sounds like

"gahv-ah-deal."
> > I recall each being about the size of a typical gnocchi.
> >
> > Whether it starts with a "c" or "g" or even something else, I don't

know,
> > this the problem.
> >
> > Thanks

> Try looking under "cavatelli". IME many Italian foods
> aren't pronounced anywhere near the way they're spelled.
> (For example, many oldtimers in New Haven, CT. pronounce
> pizza "uh-BEETZ" and the store signs spell it apizz' .)
>
> gloria p

That makes me think of pig-Latin, with the end vowel moved to the front. It
also reminds me of the tendancy for immigrants from Japan to switch the
pronunciacion of R's and L's. It's hard for me to understand, but I was
raised under totally different linguistic circumstances.

-Adam

Siobhan Perricone

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:07:45 GMT, Puester > wrote:

>Try looking under "cavatelli". IME many Italian foods
>aren't pronounced anywhere near the way they're spelled.

Though that's mostly dialects, like how differently people from the north
and south pronounce some things in English. Technically Italian is mostly
pronounced how it's spelled with a few letter sounds being different
between Italian and English, but the Sicilians, to my understanding, speak
it very differently, which is why the pronounciations are so very
different.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or
that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public." -- Theodore Roosevelt, 1918

You have a choice: www.deanforamerica.com
Feel free to contact me about him, he was my governor and "boss" for 10 years.

"If the percent of minorities in your state has anything to do with how you
can connect with African American voters, then Trent Lott would be Martin
Luther King, Jr." - Howard Dean
Blair P. Houghton

For future reference, here's way more kinds of pasta than
you ever wanted to know existed (and way, way, way fewer
than actually exist):

http://www.professionalpasta.it/dir_1/go_1(1).htm
http://www.pasta.it/forme.htm

--Blair
"It's the play-doh fun factory all
growed up and gone totally nuts."
readah

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 17:28:10 -0400, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:07:45 GMT, Puester > wrote:
>
>>Try looking under "cavatelli". IME many Italian foods
>>aren't pronounced anywhere near the way they're spelled.

>Though that's mostly dialects, like how differently people from the north
>and south pronounce some things in English. Technically Italian is mostly
>pronounced how it's spelled with a few letter sounds being different
>between Italian and English, but the Sicilians, to my understanding, speak
>it very differently, which is why the pronounciations are so very
>different.
>
> --
>Siobhan Perricone

<snipped sig>

Oh ya, those dialects are *very* different. I dated a Calabrese with a
Sicilian BIL (my family is from Naples) and it was like learning a new
language. It took me two years of Sunday dinners to finally figure it
out, course, then we broke up and 'm back to barely understanding it
again. :-)
readah

Blair P. Houghton

Default And on we go to Pizza

Adam Schwartz > wrote:
>"Puester" > wrote in message
>> Try looking under "cavatelli". IME many Italian foods
>> aren't pronounced anywhere near the way they're spelled.
>> (For example, many oldtimers in New Haven, CT. pronounce
>> pizza "uh-BEETZ" and the store signs spell it apizz' .)

>That makes me think of pig-Latin, with the end vowel moved to the front. It
>also reminds me of the tendancy for immigrants from Japan to switch the
>pronunciacion of R's and L's. It's hard for me to understand, but I was
>raised under totally different linguistic circumstances.

Suffering through Gordon Elliot is finally good for something
besides alternating pangs of hunger and vicarious embarassment.

He went "around the world" looking at Pizza, and blew up a few
myths.

Myth: Pizza is an American invention.
Facts: Pizza with tomato sauce, cheese, and toppings has
been made in Naples for possibly hundreds of years, with
at least one location having made the authentic article
for at least the last 170 years; it may be thousands of
years old, and the crust is based on Arabian flatbreads.
The Pizza Margherita is not the original pizza, just
a version that got itself a name in a way that makes a
nice story. America didn't get into Pizza as a popular
cuisine until 1905, when a baker's assistant in NYC made
use of the bakery oven downtime in the afternoons to cook
and sell pizzas.

Myths: Various etymologies for the word, "pizza".
Fact: "Pizza" comes from the word (which I forget but iirc
sounded like "ap****ia") which refers to the blackening
and crisping of the crust on the bottom of the dough.

Myth: Real pizza dough is twirled in the air to stretch it.
Fact: "They're using bread dough," said the maker of what
the show asserted is the best pizza in America. Real pizza
dough is too delicate to take spinning and must be stretched
and pressed thin by hand on a flat surface.

Coincidentally apropos of all the Carbonara going on around
here and apparently coincidental to looking for the best
places on Earth to get a pizza, Gordon visited two chefs
on nearly opposite sides of the planet (Aspen and Sydney)
who served him their "new" recipes for bacon-and-fried-egg
pizza. I suspect he got caught in a fad being propagated
by some high-end pizza journal.

--Blair
"Take it with a grain of Gordon Elliot."
sf

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 06:59:22 -0400, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:
>
> Lemme guess, you heard about it from someone of Sicilian decent? My
> husband's Nana pronounces things like that all the time, and when we find
> out how they're really spelled we're like "Wha?" She's pure Sicilian,
> and I've heard (don't know) that Sicilian's pronounciations of things are
> different than a lotta Italian.

Sounds similar to our Southern accent. When they want
something to write with, they ask for a "pin".

sf

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:07:45 GMT, Puester
> wrote:

> Milhouse Van Houten wrote:
>
> IME many Italian foods
> aren't pronounced anywhere near the way they're spelled.
> (For example, many oldtimers in New Haven, CT. pronounce
> pizza "uh-BEETZ" and the store signs spell it apizz' .)
>
> gloria p

/A/ can be prounced /UH/, think of "above"(uhbuv) and a P-B
substitution is common among second languge learners - so is
F-V.

A.T. Hagan

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:45:34 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 06:59:22 -0400, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:
>>
>> Lemme guess, you heard about it from someone of Sicilian decent? My
>> husband's Nana pronounces things like that all the time, and when we find
>> out how they're really spelled we're like "Wha?" She's pure Sicilian,
>> and I've heard (don't know) that Sicilian's pronounciations of things are
>> different than a lotta Italian.
>>

>Sounds similar to our Southern accent. When they want
>something to write with, they ask for a "pin".

Yes? And the problem with this is...?

......Alan. <g>

Post no bills
Jack Schidt®

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message

> Myth: Real pizza dough is twirled in the air to stretch it.
> Fact: "They're using bread dough," said the maker of what
> the show asserted is the best pizza in America. Real pizza
> dough is too delicate to take spinning and must be stretched
> and pressed thin by hand on a flat surface.

That was Mrs. Consiglio, of Sally's (pronounced 'solly's') in New Haven.
Neopolitan, thin crust. They're of the triumvirate of 'best' pizzas in New
Haven: Sally's, Pepe's and Modern Pizza (IMO). Coal fired ovens and the pie
sits on brick. The crust thin and crisp.

Jack Pie

Pan Ohco

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:38:34 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>That's a riot, yeah, there were lots of Sicilians where I grew up,
>and you could never look up what they were talking about using the
>pronunciation. Gabbagole, pizza don, sauzeech, on and on. RiGaught.
>Mootzadell.

>nancy

The funny thing is that on first reading these items, I didn't
understand what you were saying. Then on sounding out what you have
spelt, I recognize all of them. My family used the words but not that
spelling. Your spelling reflects the pronunciation correctly. :-)
Pan Ohco
Goomba

> >That's a riot, yeah, there were lots of Sicilians where I grew up,
> >and you could never look up what they were talking about using the
> >pronunciation. Gabbagole, pizza don, sauzeech, on and on. RiGaught.
> >Mootzadell.

You forgot "sangweech"

Nancy Young

Pan Ohco wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 11:38:34 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:
>
> >That's a riot, yeah, there were lots of Sicilians where I grew up,
> >and you could never look up what they were talking about using the
> >pronunciation. Gabbagole, pizza don, sauzeech, on and on. RiGaught.
> >Mootzadell.

> The funny thing is that on first reading these items, I didn't
> understand what you were saying. Then on sounding out what you have
> spelt, I recognize all of them. My family used the words but not that
> spelling. Your spelling reflects the pronunciation correctly. :-)
> Pan Ohco

You really made me laugh. And maybe you can set me straight.
Pizza don. I think my ex said don was really like gran/grand.
I think I had a piece once, but I'm still not sure what it is.
Like a deep dish pizza with lots of toppings?

nancy
sf

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:05:21 GMT, Blair P. Houghton >
wrote:

> Gordon visited two chefs
> on nearly opposite sides of the planet (Aspen and Sydney)
> who served him their "new" recipes for bacon-and-fried-egg
> pizza. I suspect he got caught in a fad being propagated
> by some high-end pizza journal.

Breakfast pizza? Am I allowed to say "yuck"?

I guess ever since croissants were stuffed with bacon & egg,
pizza would be the next victim.

Miche

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:05:21 GMT, Blair P. Houghton >
> wrote:
>
> > Gordon visited two chefs
> > on nearly opposite sides of the planet (Aspen and Sydney)
> > who served him their "new" recipes for bacon-and-fried-egg
> > pizza. I suspect he got caught in a fad being propagated
> > by some high-end pizza journal.
> >

> Breakfast pizza? Am I allowed to say "yuck"?

Pizza is best for breakfast, reheated or not, according to local custom.

> I guess ever since croissants were stuffed with bacon & egg,
> pizza would be the next victim.

I've contemplated making "bacon and egg" pizza with my leftover
rice-flour pizza dough. I'll probably just bag it an freeze it, but
I'll admit the thought crossed my mind.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Rhonda Anderson

sf > wrote in
:

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:05:21 GMT, Blair P. Houghton >
> wrote:
>
>> Gordon visited two chefs
>> on nearly opposite sides of the planet (Aspen and Sydney)
>> who served him their "new" recipes for bacon-and-fried-egg
>> pizza. I suspect he got caught in a fad being propagated
>> by some high-end pizza journal.
>>

> Breakfast pizza? Am I allowed to say "yuck"?

Not for breakfast, but most independent pizza places over here have been
selling pizza with bacon and egg on it for many years. Often dubbed an
Australian or Aussie. For example, one of the places in Penrith - Ronnies -
has an Australian - cheese, tomato, bacon & egg. PePe's at the local shops
has a Mt Pleasant Special - cheese, tomato, ham, cabanossi, bacon, egg.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Penrith, NSW, Australia
sf

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:58:13 +1300, Miche
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
> >
> > Breakfast pizza? Am I allowed to say "yuck"?

> Pizza is best for breakfast, reheated or not, according to local custom.

Heh, my kids eat it right out of the refrigerator and
unheated for breakfast... (yep, stone cold) but that doesn't
change my mind about the "yuck" factor of a breakfast pizza.

OTOH, I love breakfast burritos.

Derek N.P.F. Juhl

Blair P. Houghton > wrote in message >. ..

> Myths: Various etymologies for the word, "pizza".
> Fact: "Pizza" comes from the word (which I forget but iirc
> sounded like "ap****ia") which refers to the blackening
> and crisping of the crust on the bottom of the dough.

Years ago I took a beginning Italian class. Our teacher, from Bologna
(or was it Napoli?...), told us that "una pizza" simply means "a
snack." It could be what we call pizza, a sandwich or anything else.

Perhaps this was true only in her area of Italy. It might also be
like here in the U.S., where a well-known brand can become the generic
term for similar products. For example, some people in the South use
"Coke" to mean any soft drink, and I call all facial tissues
"Kleenex."

Derek Juhl
Blair P. Houghton

Jack Schidt® > wrote:

>"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Myth: Real pizza dough is twirled in the air to stretch it.
>> Fact: "They're using bread dough," said the maker of what
>> the show asserted is the best pizza in America. Real pizza
>> dough is too delicate to take spinning and must be stretched
>> and pressed thin by hand on a flat surface.
>>

>That was Mrs. Consiglio, of Sally's (pronounced 'solly's') in New Haven.

"Sally" being named for a guy named "Sal".

You get of an intellectual gut-check when you find that out,
which is why I mention it.

>Neopolitan, thin crust. They're of the triumvirate of 'best' pizzas in New
>Haven: Sally's, Pepe's and Modern Pizza (IMO). Coal fired ovens and the pie
>sits on brick. The crust thin and crisp.

IIRC, Gordon said "this takes me back to Naples" when he tasted
it, and he'd just been in Naples (in TV time), so that'd be an
endorsement for its authenticity.

--Blair
"So then I go and order Domino's for
lunch..."
Blair P. Houghton

Lucian Wischik > wrote:
(Derek N.P.F. Juhl) wrote:
>>Years ago I took a beginning Italian class. Our teacher, from Bologna
>>(or was it Napoli?...), told us that "una pizza" simply means "a
>>snack." It could be what we call pizza, a sandwich or anything else.

>I've lived in Bologna for two years and have never heard anyone use
>"una pizza" to mean a snack in general.

Some of the dictionaries have etymologies saying it's a
shift from a word meaning "a bite", but really, though
I understand in Italy it's a major sidewalk-cart food,
pizza isn't something I have as "a bite" to eat, so it
sounds fairly apocryphal.

--Blair
"Your neighbors wouldn't have known
what 'Baloney' was, neither."
Jack Schidt®

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> Jack Schidt® > wrote:
> >
> >"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >>
> >> Myth: Real pizza dough is twirled in the air to stretch it.
> >> Fact: "They're using bread dough," said the maker of what
> >> the show asserted is the best pizza in America. Real pizza
> >> dough is too delicate to take spinning and must be stretched
> >> and pressed thin by hand on a flat surface.
> >>

> >That was Mrs. Consiglio, of Sally's (pronounced 'solly's') in New Haven.

> "Sally" being named for a guy named "Sal".
>
> You get of an intellectual gut-check when you find that out,
> which is why I mention it.

Yeah lots of eye-talians familiarize names like that. Ralphy, Tommy, Pauly,
et al.

> >Neopolitan, thin crust. They're of the triumvirate of 'best' pizzas in

New
> >Haven: Sally's, Pepe's and Modern Pizza (IMO). Coal fired ovens and the

pie
> >sits on brick. The crust thin and crisp.

> IIRC, Gordon said "this takes me back to Naples" when he tasted
> it, and he'd just been in Naples (in TV time), so that'd be an
> endorsement for its authenticity.

I go to Sally's now and then (It's only a block away from Pepe's). Those
places get PACKED and there are usually lines out the door. Good sign.

> --Blair
> "So then I go and order Domino's for
> lunch..."

Reminds of that Carrot Top stand up routine where he dons the Domino's
jacket and says "This really does work"

Jack Pie

Miche

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:58:13 +1300, Miche
> > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> > >
> > > Breakfast pizza? Am I allowed to say "yuck"?

> > Pizza is best for breakfast, reheated or not, according to local custom.
> >

> Heh, my kids eat it right out of the refrigerator and
> unheated for breakfast... (yep, stone cold) but that doesn't
> change my mind about the "yuck" factor of a breakfast pizza.
>
> OTOH, I love breakfast burritos.

I totally forgot I had pizza in the fridge this morning, so had bacon
and eggs instead. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Miche

In article > ,
Rhonda Anderson > wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :

> > Breakfast pizza? Am I allowed to say "yuck"?
> >

> Not for breakfast, but most independent pizza places over here have been
> selling pizza with bacon and egg on it for many years. Often dubbed an
> Australian or Aussie.

Heh. In NZ it's known as a Kiwi.

> For example, one of the places in Penrith - Ronnies -
> has an Australian - cheese, tomato, bacon & egg. PePe's at the local shops
> has a Mt Pleasant Special - cheese, tomato, ham, cabanossi, bacon, egg.

That sounds pretty damn good to me.

Miche (storing up ideas, got a good rice flour pizza crust recipe)

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

A.T. Hagan

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 06:56:04 -0400, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:18:14 GMT, (A.T.
>Hagan) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:45:34 GMT, sf > wrote:

>>>Sounds similar to our Southern accent. When they want
>>>something to write with, they ask for a "pin".

>>Yes? And the problem with this is...?

>Uhm, nothing I'd call a problem. It's just difficult to search for recipes
>based on a name that you've only ever heard said by someone with a strong
>dialect. Which was the point being made because someone didn't know what
>sort of pasta to look for because he only ever heard a Sicilian say the
>particular pasta, not write it.

Actually, I was referring to the way we Southerner's pronounce the
word "pen" which was in jest lest someone be quick to take offense.

Strong dialects and local names do make for interesting times in
trying to research something on the internet.

But it's also part of the fun. I *like* a bit of flavor to the
language.

......Alan.

Post no bills