Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slow Cooker

Hi are Slowcookers similar to thermachef cooking utensil
www.thermachef.com

Heidi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Heidi Manway wrote on 28 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Hi are Slowcookers similar to thermachef cooking utensil
> www.thermachef.com
>
> Heidi

No, the slowcookers are much,much better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Heidi Manway wrote on 28 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Hi are Slowcookers similar to thermachef cooking utensil
> > www.thermachef.com
> >
> > Heidi
> >

> No, the slowcookers are much,much better.

<<<<
Thanks for your reply,
can you recommend a good brand?
also the idea of slow cooking means low temperature long time ideal for
food poisoning incubating bacteria?
Yes or No?

Heidi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Heidi Manway wrote on 28 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Hi are Slowcookers similar to thermachef cooking utensil
> > www.thermachef.com
> >
> > Heidi
> >

> No, the slowcookers are much,much better.

<<<<
Thanks for your reply,
can you recommend a good brand?
also the idea of slow cooking means low temperature long time ideal for
food poisoning incubating bacteria?
Yes or No?

Heidi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Heidi Manway wrote on 28 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > Heidi Manway wrote on 28 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> > > Hi are Slowcookers similar to thermachef cooking utensil
> > > www.thermachef.com
> > >
> > > Heidi
> > >

> > No, the slowcookers are much,much better.

> <<<<
> Thanks for your reply,
> can you recommend a good brand?
> also the idea of slow cooking means low temperature long time ideal for
> food poisoning incubating bacteria?
> Yes or No?
>
> Heidi

no

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Heidi Manway > wrote in message
oups.com...
> > the slowcookers are much,much better.

> can you recommend a good brand?

Rivel's 38601 Smart Pot 6 quart, removeable crock
Cuisinart's CSC650 Slow Cooker 6.5 quart

> also the idea of slow cooking means low temperature long
> time ideal for food poisoning incubating bacteria?
> Yes or No?

No.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Heidi Manway wrote:
> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> > Heidi Manway wrote on 28 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> > > Hi are Slowcookers similar to thermachef cooking utensil
> > > www.thermachef.com
> > >
> > > Heidi
> > >

> > No, the slowcookers are much,much better.

> <<<<
> Thanks for your reply,
> can you recommend a good brand?
> also the idea of slow cooking means low temperature long time ideal for
> food poisoning incubating bacteria?
> Yes or No?
>
> Heidi

I (and many many others) have been using slow cookers for years with no
food poinoning. I like the Rival Crockpots. They come in a large
variety of types and sizes. For the $150 that thermachef costs you
could by several Crockpots. You can also slow cook in the oven in a
covered pan or dutch oven. Usually just a tiny bit under 200 degrees.
On the Thermachef website I looked at the food that that thing cook.
The so called roasted chicken did not brown at all. All that thing seem
to do is steam things. Get a steamer for that. I have a pan with a
steamer insert (kind of like a double boiler with a lot of holes and a
lid. Multi purpose without takeing up very much storage space. As far
as worring about food poisoning, I would worry more about something you
take away from the heat and relying on it keeping the temperature up.
Vickie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Heidi Manway" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>> Heidi Manway wrote on 28 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>>
>> > Hi are Slowcookers similar to thermachef cooking utensil
>> > www.thermachef.com
>> >
>> > Heidi
>> >

>> No, the slowcookers are much,much better.

> <<<<
> Thanks for your reply,
> can you recommend a good brand?
> also the idea of slow cooking means low temperature long time ideal for
> food poisoning incubating bacteria?
> Yes or No?
>
> Heidi

Well, I haven't poisoned myself as of yet from my slow cooker cuisine (knock
on wood) I have the rival 51/2 quart slow cooker.
http://tinyurl.com/yao3m8.
And just love it. It has a touchpad for the settings and comes with an
automatic warming cycle. And best of all a crock pot is not a high dollar
item. The least of my worries. When I cook something in my crock pot is
food poisoning or bacteria. My main concern is the end result, which are
usually pretty good. I did one over Christmas, (baked beans) that called
for up to 14 hours on low in my rival crockpot..... Delicious. And no one
complained of food poisoning.

>.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roughrider50 wrote:
> "Heidi Manway" wrote:
> > Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> >> No, the slowcookers are much,much better.

> > can you recommend a good brand?
> > also the idea of slow cooking means low temperature long time ideal for
> > food poisoning incubating bacteria?
> > Yes or No?

> Well, I haven't poisoned myself as of yet from my slow cooker cuisine (knock
> on wood) I have the rival 51/2 quart slow cooker.
> http://tinyurl.com/yao3m8.
> And just love it. It has a touchpad for the settings and comes with an
> automatic warming cycle. And best of all a crock pot is not a high dollar
> item. The least of my worries. When I cook something in my crock pot is
> food poisoning or bacteria. My main concern is the end result, which are
> usually pretty good. I did one over Christmas, (baked beans) that called
> for up to 14 hours on low in my rival crockpot..... Delicious. And no one
> complained of food poisoning.

Modern slow cookers reach safe food temperature fairly quickly There
is no danger of unsafe food issues from use of the slow cooker. I have
one and it works well, in fact I just now set it up to make my weekly
ration of steel cut oats... 3 cups oats, 14 cups water, a tsp salt, and
a knob of butter... I'll add the oats and turn it on just before I go
to bed and it'll be ready tomorrow morning. I don't use it for
anything but steel cut oats, I tried a pot roast when I first got it
but I didn't like cooking where I can't do things in stages and taste
as I go... I don't cook to save time, I cook for perfection. But a
slow cooker is the best way to make steel cut oats.

When I bought this last year it was like $15 less and free shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/Countdown-Smar...UTF8&s=kitchen

Roughrider50 sounds like an old condom. LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Dec 2006 16:18:12 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Modern slow cookers reach safe food temperature fairly quickly There
>is no danger of unsafe food issues from use of the slow cooker. I have
>one and it works well, in fact I just now set it up to make my weekly
>ration of steel cut oats... 3 cups oats, 14 cups water, a tsp salt, and
>a knob of butter... I'll add the oats and turn it on just before I go
>to bed and it'll be ready tomorrow morning. I don't use it for
>anything but steel cut oats, I tried a pot roast when I first got it
>but I didn't like cooking where I can't do things in stages and taste
>as I go... I don't cook to save time, I cook for perfection. But a
>slow cooker is the best way to make steel cut oats.

Sheldon, do you freeze the portions of oats, or are they just fine in
the fridge for a week? I too love steel cut oats, but the time factor
is daunting to me on a work day.
<snip>

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Heidi Manway wrote:

> Thanks for your reply,
> can you recommend a good brand?
> also the idea of slow cooking means low temperature long time ideal for
> food poisoning incubating bacteria?
> Yes or No?

Heh heh, Heidi you spamming bitch, you thought you'd sneak in a sales
pitch and instead you got caught up in a net of people who ain't buyin'
your oh-so-not-subtle crapola. Give it up. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
>
> >Modern slow cookers reach safe food temperature fairly quickly There
> >is no danger of unsafe food issues from use of the slow cooker. I have
> >one and it works well, in fact I just now set it up to make my weekly
> >ration of steel cut oats... 3 cups oats, 14 cups water, a tsp salt, and
> >a knob of butter... I'll add the oats and turn it on just before I go
> >to bed and it'll be ready tomorrow morning. I don't use it for
> >anything but steel cut oats, I tried a pot roast when I first got it
> >but I didn't like cooking where I can't do things in stages and taste
> >as I go... I don't cook to save time, I cook for perfection. But a
> >slow cooker is the best way to make steel cut oats.

> Sheldon, do you freeze the portions of oats, or are they just fine in
> the fridge for a week? I too love steel cut oats, but the time factor
> is daunting to me on a work day.

I just leave the oats in the fridge and scoop out what I want each
morning to reheat in the microwave. I've never had a problem with it
spoiling. And you can always make a little less, sometimes I only use
two cups of oats instead of three, makes five days worth.. I suppose it
depends on how much you eat.

I coat he entire surface of the crock with butter before adding the
water, keeps it from sticking. And first thing in the morning I use a
wooden spoon to stir in whatever crust that forms on the sides of the
crock. The recipe calls for one cup oats to 4 cups water but with
three cups oats I use 14 cups water instead of 12, the two extra cups
of water makes it thin enough so it doesn't form hard clumps... and
it's still plenty thick enough.

Time to turn on the oats and hit the sack.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Heidi Manway wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your reply,
> > can you recommend a good brand?
> > also the idea of slow cooking means low temperature long time ideal for
> > food poisoning incubating bacteria?
> > Yes or No?

> Heh heh, Heidi you spamming bitch, you thought you'd sneak in a sales
> pitch and instead you got caught up in a net of people who ain't buyin'
> your oh-so-not-subtle crapola. Give it up. -aem

Heidi Manway... even the name is phony... it's a guy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> aem wrote:
> > Heidi Manway wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for your reply,
> > > can you recommend a good brand?
> > > also the idea of slow cooking means low temperature long time ideal for
> > > food poisoning incubating bacteria?
> > > Yes or No?

> > Heh heh, Heidi you spamming bitch, you thought you'd sneak in a sales
> > pitch and instead you got caught up in a net of people who ain't buyin'
> > your oh-so-not-subtle crapola. Give it up. -aem

> Heidi Manway... even the name is phony... it's a guy.

"Heidi Manway", sounds like a name for a trannie prostitute...or maybe
it's SQWERTZ in drag!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
TammyM > wrote:
>On 28 Dec 2006 16:18:12 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
>>Modern slow cookers reach safe food temperature fairly quickly There
>>is no danger of unsafe food issues from use of the slow cooker. I have
>>one and it works well, in fact I just now set it up to make my weekly
>>ration of steel cut oats... 3 cups oats, 14 cups water, a tsp salt, and
>>a knob of butter... I'll add the oats and turn it on just before I go
>>to bed and it'll be ready tomorrow morning. I don't use it for
>>anything but steel cut oats, I tried a pot roast when I first got it
>>but I didn't like cooking where I can't do things in stages and taste
>>as I go... I don't cook to save time, I cook for perfection. But a
>>slow cooker is the best way to make steel cut oats.

>Sheldon, do you freeze the portions of oats, or are they just fine in
>the fridge for a week? I too love steel cut oats, but the time factor
>is daunting to me on a work day.
><snip>

Tammicita,

I dug my old crockpot out of the cabinet after getting inspired by a
cookbook my SIL got for Christmas.

I made rolled oats (2 c oats, 5 c liquid - mostly water but I put some
cream in, some salt, about 1 c worth of raisins, and I threw in some
Penzey's Cake Spice) and it fridges very well. I splashed some milk in
the containers to discourage it setting up too thick for my taste. Load
crock, set on low, go to sleep, wake up, eat. Mmm, mmm, good. I got some
steel-cut at TJ's for future use.

I second the notion of buttering the sides of the crock - it was pretty
caked on.

In the crock right now - onions caramelizing a la Barb.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 01:28:10 +0000 (UTC),
(Charlotte L. Blackmer) wrote:

>In article >,
>TammyM > wrote:
>>On 28 Dec 2006 16:18:12 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>>
>>>Modern slow cookers reach safe food temperature fairly quickly There
>>>is no danger of unsafe food issues from use of the slow cooker. I have
>>>one and it works well, in fact I just now set it up to make my weekly
>>>ration of steel cut oats... 3 cups oats, 14 cups water, a tsp salt, and
>>>a knob of butter... I'll add the oats and turn it on just before I go
>>>to bed and it'll be ready tomorrow morning. I don't use it for
>>>anything but steel cut oats, I tried a pot roast when I first got it
>>>but I didn't like cooking where I can't do things in stages and taste
>>>as I go... I don't cook to save time, I cook for perfection. But a
>>>slow cooker is the best way to make steel cut oats.

>>Sheldon, do you freeze the portions of oats, or are they just fine in
>>the fridge for a week? I too love steel cut oats, but the time factor
>>is daunting to me on a work day.
>><snip>

>Tammicita,
>
>I dug my old crockpot out of the cabinet after getting inspired by a
>cookbook my SIL got for Christmas.
>
>I made rolled oats (2 c oats, 5 c liquid - mostly water but I put some
>cream in, some salt, about 1 c worth of raisins, and I threw in some
>Penzey's Cake Spice) and it fridges very well. I splashed some milk in
>the containers to discourage it setting up too thick for my taste. Load
>crock, set on low, go to sleep, wake up, eat. Mmm, mmm, good. I got some
>steel-cut at TJ's for future use.
>
>I second the notion of buttering the sides of the crock - it was pretty
>caked on.

OK, I'm convinced and up for it! Got the steel cuts, don't have any
cake spice but I can improvise :-)

>In the crock right now - onions caramelizing a la Barb.

Oooo, that's very inspiring. I think I'll make some French onion soup
a la Barb for DOM (dear old mom).

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Charlotte L. Blackmer" wrote:

<snipped>

Charlotte!! Great to see your post - it has been too long since I last saw
your posts. (Still love your bread salad <G>).

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <Oxvsh.195$dk1.159@trndny03>, limey > wrote:

>"Charlotte L. Blackmer" wrote:
>
><snipped>
>
>Charlotte!! Great to see your post - it has been too long since I last saw
>your posts. (Still love your bread salad <G>).

Hi back atcha!

I have to say there's a certain time of year when I feel like counting off
the days till I have Real Tomatoes for bread salad.

And I'm still as pleased as Punch that it's "my" RFC Signature dish.

Hi Everyone!

At the moment I'm unemployed, so I have a little more time for Usenet.
One of these days I will even start food blogging again (where does the
time go?). For a while there I was sick enough to not want to eat (much),
much less cook. Lived on tea, toast, eggs, rice, 'nanners, and rotisserie
chicken.

I've been getting busy in various kitchens lately and was also sort of
missing the Usual Suspects. I also have a laptop and wireless so I
can compute from the comfort of my warm bed - it has been cold enough here
in Northern California for this to make a difference!

(If you're in a place where Real Tomatoes are, the bread salad recipe is
in google groups, and on my food blog sidebar with pictures.)

Charlotte
http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com